Feedback for Flight Simulation - 2020

I like the idea of a belt tightening as you pile on the G. I wonder how hard it would be to make.

What about a pad behind your back (or did I miss this?).

Getting a value from DCS is proven (LUA and done by the SSA software)…I’m guessing that it is just reading the currnt “G” value; picking a WAV file; adjusting the volume based on the value…sending this to the registered sound card…

Where to send this value? The 'G-Gadget" would be USB I suppose (those Ardunio things?)

Then the trick would be something that regulates the air flow to some kind of compressor.

Compressor to pad - inflatable device.

Calling Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Frankenstein to the Mudspike lab…

1 Like

There are a few vids on YT by a guy (and channel) named Bergison . He has developed a quite impressive g seat using pneumatics . One vid shows him launching from a carrier catapult (DCS) and trapping . That was VERY impressive ! Last i heard was that he finally had located a manufacturer to build commercially .

2 Likes

Think this is it:
Motion G-Suit

His website: https://bergisons.simpit.info/motion-integrated-g-seat

Annnnnddd, I want one!

I like the part at 3:04 (how do u do a time stamp again?) - “…everything above 5 [G] really gets uncomfortable…”. Yeah, baby! Where do I put the quarters in?

4 Likes

Here’s a good one of his earlier design.

2 Likes

:vr: amazing. Whoa. Do want. That, and a big fat transducer for the stall/AoA rumble, and some smaller ones for the other buzzes and thumps a plane makes.

Dammit, and here I thought I had almost perfected this thing :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Space for all that… :wink:

2 Likes

Haha the people sharing the house will not greenlight a cockpit that goes buzz whirrrr kerTHUNK THUMP THUMP THUMP all night long :smirk:

5 Likes

Yeah thats a problem for me, too.
I kinda hate loud stuff myself, so I can relate.

I think you have it back to front. On the Tornado simulator inflating the cushion gives the impression that you are pulling G as it feels like you are being pushed into the seat. It than gradually and imperceptibly reduces pressure to normal. VV for negative g where deflation of the cushion causes the impression of weight loss.

3 Likes

Another praise for the inflateable seat pillow here. Tried it out in the MH60 sim, and it’s a very convincing feeling indeed. But, overall I think the shakers are a much more viable solution for a home pit, I don’t really want to share the room with an air compressor.
And that was a good read @jross, it made me experiment a bit with the G-force volume again, after running with it off since forever.
I wonder if it would be possible to make a G effect file with a lower volume, as I find it far too strong in relation to the stall/buffet effect. Right now I run with G at 1, and stall/buffet at 100 in settings.

Might be caused by my puny shaker I guess? Sinus Live 50W

1 Like

Yes, I just did this. Think it’s mentioned above or in the tread @Troll started…

This should link to that post.

I used Audacity to create a WAV file at 7hz, which was lower (15hz if I recall but I can look if you want - I saved the original) than the original and lower than the Stall WAV.

I didn’t adjust the amplitude/volume though as I just control that with the settings value. The lower Hz makes it stand out more, to me, and seems to activate the 2nd transducer more (it is larger/heavier than the other one.

1 Like

Yes, I’m just looking in to it now.
It seems pretty straight forward to adjust the volume in Audacity, using Effects/Amplify and then just set to -x db to lower volume.
And Sound Module even includes a custom folder, that’s parsed at startup for custom soundclips.

Exactly. Audacity Generate | Tone…is where I went to create a new one with a diff. frequency.

1 Like

@jross great work!

i always wanted haptic feedback!
still waiting a “mat” from the relateus scam!:man_facepalming:t2:

now i’m in doubt if buying a jetseat or trying to build my bass shaker!

the only doubts i have are about using more transducers!

@Troll do the jetseat engines works all together or do they split according the effect? butt/back? left/right ?

watching what they do for car simulators they often use 4 transducers one for each wheel!
if i got it right they can feeel bumps from front wheels and soon after for the rear ones…

i think this might depend on software!
does software from flight sims gives also front back left right input?

ie i have a left damaged landing gear… could i feel just the right one locking in position??

also if i use 2 transducers one heavy and the other light can i split some effects to one and some to the other?

1 Like

OH YES!!!

I finally took the time to order the simshaker software and update DCS.

The vibrations are incredible!

Especially the G force/stall buffet effects are fantastic! So much better than I remember from earlier versions of the software.
I have only tried the F-5 in DCS, so far. I suspect I need to make my own WAV files with a lower frequency to be able to feel some of the effects, since I have bass shakers and I think some of the effects are cancelled because they are in a higher frequency.
I need to read up on @jross experiences…

Anyway, SO glad I did this and didn’t give up when things seemed impossible!

The JetSeat I had has eight motors. They could be set to work in groups or singles, depending on the effect, if I remember correctly.

1 Like

OMG!!! Are we getting to the point of having to have a garage for our simpit?
I am really impressed with this stuff about feedback and infaltable woopy cushions but yeah, neighbors. I live a nomadic experience… so im just jealous. :grin:

Only if I could take up my garage building the ultimate sim-pit…even big boys need dreams :slight_smile:

This seat-of-the-pants feedback is as far as I have room and funds for. In VR it’s pretty convincing. And my room is more a closet so no room for a full-blown motion platform. :frowning_face:

Do it to the max! Whatever you can get away with and not disturb people… DO THAT!

No room is no excuse.

Real planes have the same constraint: