Fire in the air

Landing some fireballs in il2 battle of stalingrad
Does anyone think turning the engine off would help any? Maybe starve fire of fuel?

2 Likes

If the engine is on fire and you don’t need thrust…then you turn it off.

Edit; After skimming that video, crew would abandoned the aircraft, unless altitude is too low.

1 Like

Well, yeah… That’s pretty much the first thing on the agenda, when you have a burning engine :wink:
Unless, of course, there’s a runway you need to get off, or a big block of granite in your path. If that’s the case, you do this first, and then shut it down.

3 Likes

Pretty much this.
On every fire checklist I’ve ever seen “engine off” is a pretty high priority.

4 Likes

Emphasis on ''turning off the right engine" not as in the engine on the right–but the one that’s actually ablaze. No? :wink:

4 Likes

If you wanna be reeeally technical about it that’s the reason we call the engines by numbers… :wink:

6 Likes

Pffft… Nerd.
:rofl:

3 Likes

usually i panic and turn all engines off which is pretty stupid in a twin if the other is not on fire

I actually had that happen to me in the sim while I was doing recurrent training for the Challenger. The instructor gave us a right engine fire, so 'affected engine power lever Idle, Affected engine fuel cutoff, and then I saw my sim partner reaching for the wrong wrong fire button … I hollered Noooooooo but it was too late… and we were gliding. I don’t remember if he discharged the bottle into the good engine for good measure but he definitely killed it. I was all for trying to recover the situation by at least trying to relight the good engine, but the instructor reset the sim at that point. My sim partner was mortified, poor guy. Of course, he will never make that mistake again, and a lesson was definitely learned.

4 Likes

You would probably not be surprised how often that happens…(turning off the wrong engine)…

3 Likes

Well, I did see it happening a lot. :smiley:
The Eurofighter has two engines…

2 Likes

I guess it could be worse…

decisions1

6 Likes

:rofl:

That plane looks positively Kerbal. :smiley:

3 Likes

I love the 50s, 60s, and 70s…

3 Likes

I think these may be the ultimate expression of “didn’t stop to think if they should.”

4 Likes

Yeah… What could possibly go wrong with that…

2 Likes

6 turning 4 burning 1 fissioning so Onwards with missionings

7 Likes