First Man movie...

OMG this looks amazing- and I truly came to respect mr. Gosling acting skill.
Hats off, I’ll be watching this.

Just saw the preview for this in another movie I saw today in the theater. It really looked incredible.

Read some flak from Buzz Aldrin about the omission of planting the US flag on the moon.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/35378/buzz-aldrin-blasts-first-man-not-showing-planting-joseph-curl

Wheels

Yeah, there has been some comments about that.
I kind of understand the answer that the movie is about Neil, and his family. And that they want to show something that we don’t already know and have seen several times before. The flag is supposedly clearly visible in several scenes, so it’s not a political statement.

Hmmm…if I post my thoughts I break Mudspike “no politics” rules, my comment is deleted (rightfully so), but probably not before I lose more than a few new friends in the process…so I won’t comment…

…other to say, its a good thing I very rarely go to movies anyway (since the year 2000, Gladiator, Master and Commander, Star Trek and The Martian)…it makes some easier to boycott…because its not like I was going to see them anyway…just say’n :slightly_smiling_face:

…time to go check the FA-18 thread!:sunglasses:

A post was merged into an existing topic: What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

If it will be as good as Ryan’s previous movie DRIVE then I will like it.
DRIVE’s has perfect atmosphere with that acting, camera, soundtrack etc.
One of my favourite movies.

So I was thinking about taking the boys to see this movie today since they are out of school. Only problem - they are 8 and 10 years old, and I’m wondering about the PG-13 rating. According to what I’ve read, it is rated that mostly for language, and a “historically based death scene” which I’m assuming is the Grissom/White/Chaffe incident. The same site (a parental review type sight) implies the word for poop that begins with an S and the F-bomb are used a couple of times.

I know the boys would probably love the spectacle of the movie…they are enthralled with space and spaceflight. I’m on the fence over whether I should take them though…

Trailer #3:

My parents ignored all those ratings and I turned (mostly) well-adjusted :stuck_out_tongue:

Only you and your wife know your boys. Those guidelines tend to be a bit overzealous in my opinion, but as I’ve mentioned before, I’m a little liberal when it comes to that stuff.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, to maintain a PG-13 rating, a movie can only slip in a single F-bomb, so there’s that. Not sure about some of the others, at least off the top of my head.

4 Likes

Know it’s somewhat of a pain but you or your wife could see the movie alone and then decide if it is appropriate for them. If you go instead of your wife and actually like the movie watching it a second time won’t be so bad.

Of course had my parents thought that far ahead I would not have seen Sally Kellerman nude in the movie MASH when I was 6 or 7 years old. It’s a scene that stuck with me for YEARS!! bananadance

Wheels

2 Likes

About my ratio in bad traffic… :rofl: :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

Haha…yeah…I still remember the time when my parents took me to see C.H.O.M.P.S. in 1979 at a drive in movie theater in Chicago. Only problem was, on the other screen out the back window was an R-rated movie that had a bunch of interesting scenes going on. Me and my brother can’t remember a single thing about C.H.O.M.P.S…

1 Like

OMG…it may not be so much that I don’t remember any of it than I purged it…

Valerie would have peaked my interest in CHOMPS. I had the biggest crush on her back then, as did most guys my age it seemed.

My parents got burned because MASH was a PG rated movie. Watching it now there is no way it should have had that rating but several movies from that time frame were rated PG that wouldn’t have a prayer of getting that rating now.

Wheels

See also: Spaceballs

2 Likes

I was 12 years old at Summer camp. Our councilor called us into his room to watch it on a small B&W TV, and I also remember it very well. At that age, there were a lot of distractions, not to mention that space exploration was something that grown-ups did. But that was a very special moment that captured all of us.

1 Like

You could take them to see «Early Man»:wink:

Incidentally, this movie was translated to «Første mann» in Norway, which is actually a verbatim translation from «First Man».

I wonder what they will call «First Man» over here?
Probably something cheesy.

But on a more serious note…
I think the boys can handle it. I mean, it’s not about aliens or monsters. It’s about real life events, some of which ended tragically. But you should be prepared to do some explaining.

1 Like

I remember the Apollo 1 scene as represented in both From the Earth to the Moon, and Apollo 13. I was same age when those came out, I’d rate them about a 2 on an emotional trauma scale of 1 to “Scar pushing Mufasa off a Cliff”. I think you’ll be fine.

5 Likes

That should be the official scale for emotional impact.

4 Likes