First pics of production Gladiator joystick

Hey guys,

For those that might be interested, here are some pics of the first production sample of the Gladiator joystick. Looks, great and feels great. Being tested with all our favorite sims. As you can see I was playing with BOS when I snapped the pics. It’s going to full production very soon and will be available from Stratojet and other retailers soon after. The Gladiator will do the job very well for the large majority of virtual pilots who don’t want to bust their wallet.

Just FYI, this sample is the base model with the standard internals and twist grip. The Gladiator Pro will look the same, but have the more advanced all-metal gimbal inside and no twist. The Pro model will also have a significantly higher price though.

Jason

7 Likes

That is one gorgeous stick, @Stratojet!

That one looks pretty cool!

Can you tell us a few technical details about it?
Especially the number of buttons, axis, 8-way switches, type of sensors and so on :slight_smile:

EDIT: I really dislike that smile emoticon here, btw. It looks like I am laughing about it. It should be a friendly smile.

1 Like

We have four sets, although I don’t really know what they look like and left them by default. I’ve switched to Apple’s. Hmm, I’ll do a meta post vote or something and we can compare. I agree the smile is very laughy :grinning:

It looks very nice, plus I think there is a need in the market for a decent stick at a reasonable price. Cool!

@Aginor something can be seen here

2 Likes

@Stratojet I am really looking forward to this joystick! Hopefully it will not be the way like with the Oculus Rift CV1 :wink:
https://imgur.com/Tsj7PQy

@Stratojet could you pls shed a light on the stick grip of this Gladiator base model and up? Will it be detachable? Will there be other stick grip options in the future? …that will be really awesome to have joystick which doesnt want to bust your wallet and has the option to change the grips. Gunfighter shares the same grip with Gladiator and has it removable. Pls do it as an option also for Gladiator! :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting layout and axes!

A pity that it has only one hat though. (still ok because there is a shift key I guess)

Is the shift-function done via software, or does the stick send the signal as if it was an extra set of buttons?

Also: Could a player use another key for shift?

Guys,

Here’s the basic feature list and some comments below.

FEATURES AND SPECIFICATIONS:

• Contactless MaRS sensors (X, Y, Twist axes) with High Resolution
  • Throttle Axis
  • 32-bit ARM Controller
  • 17 Programmable Buttons
  • 29 Total Logical Buttons Using Mode Function
  • 1 Hat-Switch (8-way) - 2 LEDs
  • Plug & Play with Driver Free Installation (Recommended for Most Users)
  • Firmware upgrade via USB
  • On-board Memory for Storing Profile
  • Port for Connecting VKB-Sim Rudder Pedals to be seen as one device
  • USB 2.0 - Optional Powerful Programming Software (For Advanced Users)
  • Calibrate Axes - Create Deadzones - Save and Load Profiles - Adjust Axes Resolutions

The grip is not detachable on the Gladiator. The Gladiator Pro unit will be detachable if needed and has no twist.

There is a mode switch on the stick base (with corresponding LEDs) that works with the buttons on the grip only.

Our proprietary GUI with easy to use interface is not ready yet. So for now you can use something like SVmapper to program key-presses if you need to or if you are up for it you can use our powerful, but complex config software. But we need to improve the documentation on it. We will continue to work on a use friendly programming interface as we go along.

This stick is targeted to those who are mostly looking for a simple plug and play experience. But there are options for more hardcore guys as you can see. This product will be the lower end of our new lineup for VKB, but you will see even our lower end is innovative and manufactured to a high standard.

Final pricing is still being worked out. A lot of that depends on manufacturing costs. We’ll have an official announcement soon. But it will cost less than a CH Fighterstick and to be honest, it feels more expensive than the Fighterstick to me and we have better sensors. That’s just a quick comparison and my opinion. Not trying to rip on CH.

I hope that helps.

Jason

5 Likes

sounds reasonable

thx for all the details, really looking forward to see it finally on the shelves :smiley:

1 Like

Really glad to see this. I have a CH Fighterstick and find it very awkward. The only other game in town is Saitek, and I can’t cope with their build quality.

Not sure how the buttons on the base would work out. I hate taking my hand off the stick and the fighterstick is by necessity right, not center, mount. If I could center mount, it would probably work fine with my throttle hand. though I’m also getting a Vive VR headset, so I’ll have to navigate the joystick blind.

Looks really interesting though. I have a t-rudder I’m very happy with, and don’t doubt the quality of VKB!