Flight Test airport...and announcing KMUD

Me too…so I’m claiming dibs… :stuck_out_tongue: I want to learn a bit about WED and what it can do…so this would be a good project for me to tackle…

1 Like

Dang and I already got too runways down! lol

If you run into issues let me know. Im not fully versed in WED but I can find my way around fairly decent.

1 Like

@BeachAV8R Just to give you a heads up so you dont try to kill yourself figuring it out. You will have to turn off runway follows contours in x plane. Otherwise you might get some interesting runways/taxiways.

Sounds like the are adding an option to do this in WED for specific airports in the future.

1 Like

Slightly OT - but why did I never think to map the heading bug left/right commands to one of my Warthog throttle POV switches? :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Because you never properly mapped out all the controls for a non-combat sim, because “using the mouse is good enough” has been the mindset? Atleast that’s my reasoning why I never did it!

1 Like

Exactly! I mean…I have a few things mapped like thrust reversers, flaps, speedbrakes…but a 4-way hat makes perfect sense for HDG left/right and ALT preselect UP/DOWN. I can’t believe I never thought of it…duh…

3 Likes

I have thought of it. But every time I go into X plane I forget to look at the controls and I think the vary per aircraft and developer.

I use to have A/T and AP mapped but I think the 777 changed key commands so I said screw it. lol

1 Like

Yep, I just tried on the 757 to set some stick hats for common autopilot heading, alititude up/down but it didn’t work - am I in the wrong place?

Btw, tempted to write a plug-in for Minesweeper mode on that screen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Close. See in the top right where i says sim/autopilot/heading_up? Click the square box next to it. Look for the 1-sim folder and then click on AP. Click on the heading up or one of them. It will then bring you back to this screen with the commands you need to program.

Should look like this if you are in the right place

2 Likes

Thanks - I would have never have guessed that. Working great now.

2 Likes

Just remember each plane could potentially have different set ups. Not all designers will put it in the same spot.

Yes, and some of them have their own custom commands that no other planes have…so they have some separate entries in those menus…

1 Like

Yeah man…it worked…! LOL…it helps if you turn in ON huh? I’m actually using the freeware KPHX from Mister X (phenomenal!)

I was interested to see if the X-Life traffic template would still work on freeware scenery. I thought it would because it would stand to reason that the taxiways and runways are all probably based on the same data (relatively). Sure enough, it works pretty good. There were some oddly taxiing aircraft at some points, but generally things went well. Took about 5 minutes for the airspace and airport to really start populating. It is such a cool little plug-in (X-Life)…can’t wait to see what I can figure out with KMUD once it is finished.I need to check that map and see if someone has done some for Twentynine Palms already…

BeachAV8R

1 Like

From my understanding as long as the airport has act taxi routes x life will work. Quickest way to check is to fire up the sim and go to the airport of choice and get atc to give you taxi clearance for take off. If a line comes up directing you to the runway all should be good. If not its actually fairly easy to add them in WED. All you do is trace taxi lines with the atc route tool.

1 Like

So I had a bit of down time today where I could borrow a friend’s Beechcraft Mentor T-34C and take a spin around KTNP (Twentynine Palms) and do some aerial surveying…

Putting in the power to depart runway 8…

Sucking up the gear in ground effect…

So the terrain to the south side of the airfield doesn’t look…err…buildable per se… I wonder if WED tools has a bulldozer feature…

So circling up over the airfield…you can clearly see the north side of the airport (on the other side of the highway) looks pretty promising. If I can shoehorn a 9,000’ runway with an ILS in over there I’ll be in good shape…

On short final to runway 26. Shame I can’t buy that farm down there and just extend runway 8 a few thousand feet. I mean, with all that airplane noise the guy would probably take a good price. And I could get the FAA to fund it with their airport improvement plan…

Done with my short recon…

39C? Jeez…pop the canopy already…

Better top it back up with fuel before giving it back…

BeachAV8R

1 Like

Technically one could pull up ktnp in WED and extend that runway. Add an exclusion zone and the farm will go bye bye

X-life looks the airport code up at start-up of where you are and if it isn’t in the list then it doesn’t work and it disables itself I believe. It is relatively easy to add the runway, taxiways and gates in WED, but for a large airport it’s a lot of drawing.

Ah…interesting. For some reason, I would have thought Aerosoft/payware type scenery would have that locked down somehow. I’m dorking around with WED right now. I have a parallel set and exported…but for some reason it isn’t showing up. Lots to learn I think…

Aha…well, it seems if I put it outside of the scenery area that Twentynine Palms occupies, it shows up just fine. I thought because I saved it and it put it above the loading order of Twentynine Palms, that it might put it on top…but perhaps the custom mesh/satellite imagery with the payware scenery is causing a conflict.

2 Likes

So…looks like we need to fire the grading contractor…and the weed suppression guy.

4 Likes