FlyInside Flight Sim

I think this got noted elsewhere, but now can’t find it, so I’ll risk posting it again. It’s not that often that a brand new flight sim gets announced. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Steam page for future reference:

It looks like the guy that does the FSX / P3D / XP VR plug-in has decided to do his own ‘FSX Compatible’ flight sim of his own. The name for the product is still to be decided, but so far the site is:

http://www.flyinside-flightsim.com/

It doesn’t seem to be lacking in ambition, and he obviously has amazing technical chops as shown with FlyInside VR.

Coming Holiday Season 2017

#Modern and scaleable

FlyInside’s flight simulator is the first flight simulator designed for today’s PCs. Take advantage of 4-8 cores, max out a 1080 Ti! Turn down settings to maintain smooth frame-rates even on older laptops.

#Beautiful

High quality photoscenery, layered with buildings, trees, and world objects. An advanced atmosphere simulation. Huge draw distance. Your flight simulator never looked this good!

#Compatible

Load hundreds of existing aircraft from FSX.

#Open

No overbearing EULA. Add-on developers can create, sell, and give away third-party aircraft, scenery, and plugins. Unique in-game editor for flight dynamics, scenery, and materials - faster turn-around than ever before.

The compatibility with FSX is huge. I wonder how legally minefieldy that is? I believe Dovetails (with their new Flight Sim World product license) holds the original FSX IP for the consumer market.

Here’s some first screenshots from the flyinside forum on the new simulator (I guess demonstrating compatibility):

It’s getting to be quite the flowchart of which sim to invest in nowadays. I guess a new entrant where you can use your existing scenery/aircraft but it built on a clean slate could be a way into that decision process…

EDIT: Found the existing post - sorry @Brix - P3D Info thread - #142 by Brix

2 Likes

Interesting!
Not many flightsims out there that are designed from the ground up, with VR in mind.

1 Like

The legal stuff will be fascinating. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is getting a “Take the FSX claim down from your website” letter as I write this.

His next problem will probably be that third party devs that have deals with the other big boys will post that if you install any version of their products in his sim it voids any support. That will scare away a good few customers.

Let the battle for the soul of all of the FSX users with thousands of dollars of payware begin!

1 Like

1 Like

I can’t say I blame him/them. After all, the flight sim market is massive with an avid user-base numbering in the hundreds–maybe thousands! All that untapped potential must be tough to resist.

Very interesting. I’m curious how this will play out.

Anyone who creates the perfect flightsim will win our hearts, and money… :wink:

1 Like

Real question (not really) is: does it have a good A-6 Intruder and a live payload to drop?

Dunno…? But let’s create a rumor that it has! :a6:

1 Like

sorry - wrong damn thread yet again!

I’m getting old… :confounded:

Some alpha footage of the new sim - looking quite nice already…

2 Likes

There’s a new beta branch plus some weekend updates. Nice!

What’s new since 0.5.0.0?

• Yoke/collective are now grabbable via “Tap on” / “tap off”. Hold your controller close to the yoke, press and release the trigger once. The yoke will stay highlighted and you can control it. Press and release trigger a second time to let go! You can change this to the hold behavior from “Settings -> VR” and unchecking “Use Tap-On/Tap-Off Yoke Hold”

• You can now grab the yoke using a “grip” gesture. On Vive controllers press one of the grip buttons, on Oculus Touch squeeze both the trigger button and the grip button below it simultaneously. This will hold the yoke from the palm of the hand rather than the finger-tip.

• Fixes MD530F collective grabbability

• Adds a setting to turn off rudder control from vr yoke/collective grab. Settings -> VR -> VR Yoke Controls Rudder

• Adds a setting to leave the yoke where it is when you let go, rather than snapping back to center (Settings ->VR -> Retain VR Yoke Position)

• Adds sensitivity sliders for yoke control to Settings -> VR.

• Hands are no longer blindingly bright at night

• Tooltips/interaction bubble are now visible at night

• Propper and mixture levers now “multi-grabbable”

• File -> Record Video now records to MP4, and you can include audio or menus to your videos

• Engine sounds now go away when engines are shut off

• Fixed friction bug, helicopters can now get “light on their skids”

• Fixes turn-coordinator ball bug

• Improves 717 VR interaction and switch coverage

• Adds UDP socket capabilities to scripting. Contact me if you’re interested

Missed this update (Feb 22) but am going to check it out tonight:

We’ve just released FlyInside Flight Simulator 0.5.4.0. This update includes loads of fixes and improvements, along with a couple of big new features!

This update includes the beginning of our flight school, which will include a series of tutorials and challenges. Two missions are currently included. Intro to Flight will teach you basic aircraft controls and instruments, and guide you through a take-off and landing. The second tutorial is an interactive 737 startup procedure. You’ll flip tons of switches and start a 737 from cold and dark! The second tutorial is still a work in progress, we’re going to add voice-overs and explanations so you know what you’re doing, and why. You can expect more scenarios soon, now that we have an efficient process for creating them.

In addition to the flight lessons, we’ve added several major usability improvements. You can now configure VR touch controllers to your liking from “Settings -> VR”. This includes how sensitive the “virtual yoke” is and how it responds to motion, and whether you hold down your trigger, or simply tap-on/tap-off for yoke grab. All aircraft cockpits now support beautiful internal night-lighting, so you can read the gauges when it’s dark out. Finally, the built-in video recorder has been upgraded to output MP4, making it a lot more user friendly.

In addition, there are quite a few minor bug-fixes, performance improvements, aircraft fixes, and loading speed improvements. We hope you enjoy this new build, and as always, look forward to your feedback!

General Changes Since 0.5.3.0 (last beta branch):

• Adds “Intro to Flight” scenario (please test this!)
  • Adds VR keyboard which appears when you tap into a textbox in VR
  • Adds wind sound, several sound fixes
  • Fixes several issues with loading stutter
  • Greatly improves simulator startup speed
  • Improves speed of terrain loading. Not done yet, but it’s harder to outpace the terrain loader when flying fast
  • Fixed several aircraft systems bugs
  • Sim no longer hangs when audio devices are unplugged
  • Helicopters are now properly affected by wind/gusts
  • Several fixes to Steam installation process

General Changes Since 0.5.3.5 (last beta branch):

• Adds 737 startup checklist. Look for white spinning arrows on the ceiling to find the first switch. White spinning arrows mean you need to set the switch (per the checklist), a green circle means the switch is already in the correct position
  • Adds improved audio to Tutorial 1
  • Adds newer less obnoxious waypoint model
  • Improves Tutorial 1 flight-path. The pattern is a lot bit shorter, and the turns are easier to make.
  • Improves spinner positions

Changes since 0.5.3.8

• 737 Startup Checklist Scenario - You now need to reach out and touch switches to confirm them before the spinner moves on
  • Oculus Touch grab/index finger now work a little bit more intuitively
  • Minor improvements to Intro to Flight
  • You can no longer crash the aircraft in nav mode
2 Likes

This sim is actually making some good progress. It looks like they’ve worked on the autogen scenery to fill things in a bit, the clouds are looking pretty good, and the lighting is improved. There is now a 737 cold start tutorial that takes you through a bunch of checklist items and shows you around the cockpit to do a full start procedure. It was pretty fun. Then I took it out, flew around for a bit, and brought it back all using just the O+ hand controllers. Quite entertaining…

2 Likes

FlyInside Flight Simulator 0.6.0.0 Released - 7/26/2019

https://flyinside-fsx.com/News

FlyInside Flight Simulator 0.6.0.0 brings major improvements! First and foremost, we have a brand-new streaming world-wide scenery system. In addition, you’ll find new scenarios, helicopter flight-model improvements, bug-fixes, and performance improvements.

The first thing you’ll notice when you fire up FlyInside 0.6 is the brand-new scenery. Instead of being limited to the US, you can fly nearly anywhere in the world. Rather than having generic neighborhoods, you’ll see detailed photoscenery, 1 ft/pixel resolution on most areas. Realistically placed houses, buildings, trees, and water make for a beautiful world to explore.

We’re streaming imagery from Bing Maps, so there’s no huge download. You don’t need a strong internet connection either, just a couple megabits per second.

Beyond scenery, you’ll find all sorts of little usability enhancements and stability improvements. Despite looking massively better, the simulator uses fewer resources and runs just as smoothly as before. Be sure to try out the improved helicopter flight model in the B407 and MD500, and learn to fly the T-38A with our new tutorial.

3 Likes