FlyInside - X-Plane 10

Did not know about DCS World and the free price. You bet I’ll try that.

If I get this all working, I’ll let you know. Thanks for the speedy reply.

1 Like

You install and run FlyInside for XP. You can get the trial version here:

https://flyinside-fsx.com/Download

It will start X-Plane 10 or 11 up for you. X-Plane doesn’t have any built-in Rift support, so you need to run FlyInside to get VR and X-Plane.

I have much to report.

First, thanks to Fearless Frog and Beach AV8R for the tips.

I now have “the works” hooked up. That means: Rift, Leap Motion, FlyInside, my joystick.

I’ve also tried DCS World, which, as you said, “just works”. (I’ll have to figure out my key mappings to my joystick. I kept having to peek out of the Rift to find keys on the keyboard. Looking forward to AR with MS Hololens.)

Here are some quick observations and next steps from what I learned:

• DCS World’s rendering of the cockpit, clouds, landscape and everything was much more real and smooth than X-Plane 10. I was surprised. Not sure if I have optimal settings in XP.

• Leap Motion hands are recognized within XP using FlyInside. As I pass my hands over controls, they highlight and I can see my palm become dense (an indicator of contact?), but I have not broken the code as to how to actually manipulate any of the controls. I’m just ghost hands. Can’t touch anything.

• Leap Motion does not work in DCS World.

• Leap Motion’s own apps show how good the manipulation can be. I think it is the way to go. Better than those Touch manipulators Oculus has. Between the controller, mouse, joystick, remote and keyboard, there’s enough stuff to try to feel blindly for. Don’t need something that takes both my hands. So I think that was a good purchase (and half of what Oculus’ Touch goes for). Just need more apps to support them.

• XP10 was cool, but also disappointing. It was not as crisp as Rift apps or DCS. There was considerable judder that will lead to fatigue. Especially true with rolls, looking out the side during a low pass or with quick head motions. DCS did not have that. XP must be doing more or something. This could also be my i7 processor. Oculus doesn’t seem to like it. Not sure why. It’s a nice i7, but it is older. I do heavy animation and rendering, so this is on my workstation. It’s pretty beefy, but maybe not enough. Then again, DCS looked and felt great. If I could get DCS rendering quality in XP… now that would be something.

• No audio in Rift ear phones. Neither DCS nor FlyInside / XP used the Rift headphones. Leap Motion and Rift apps do and what a difference that makes. I saw a post in FlyInside saying there’s a device setting I have to keep setting, so I’ll need to find that and try it.

Time to stop. My eyes are crossed and I have other things to do.

All in all, I’d say this was a successful first foray.

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

If using Windows OS, in non native VR apps you have to set the Rift headphones as the default playback device.

That sounds like the known bug where Asynchronous Space Warp (ASW) or whatever the hell its called kicking on and off. Supposedly you can control it withe following hotkeys but I usually have to go and check or uncheck the box in flyinside settings:

CTRL+Numpad1: Disable ASW, go back to the original ATW mode
CTRL+Numpad2: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW disabled
CTRL+Numpad3: Force apps to 45Hz, ASW enabled
CTRL+Numpad4: Enable auto-ASW (default, use this first)

1 Like