Frank Williams takes the final checkered flag

Another icon is gone.

3 Likes

May he R.I.P. What a man’s man. He was living it to the fullest. I hope his offspring can harness the original magic of her father.

3 Likes

I met him on a tour of the Williams factory when I was a kid. Gave me a hat and a T shirt. This was 2 weeks before Senna was killed. I touched the car.

3 Likes

:eyes:

I

1 Like

A great day. My dad knocked it out of the park with that treat.

4 Likes

We went on a full guided tour, VIP treatment. It was quite funny as I had a benetton shirt on and Frank came out and said loudly and quite angrily (but he was playing, I didn’t realise till later) “that just won’t do!” And got me a hat and t shirt.
We went all around the factory and test centre and as I said I had my photo taken next to Sennas FW16 and laid my hands on it.
My dad said after the crash that he touched the suspension strut that killed him but I don’t remember him going near the front of the car if I’m honest because it was nosed up to a wall but he may of and I didn’t see (It was probably tall tales)

I remember picking holding a rear wheel and feeling a wheel nuts weight as well.

In the museum was loads of cars like the 6 wheel tyrell and other bits and treasures. Including 1 red ferrari stood on its own. Apparently it was swapped for technical information but It was so long ago I can’t remember what it was.

7 Likes

Key And Peele Nfl GIF

Awesome FW memory…!

4 Likes

I didn’t particularly care for his personality, but certainly admired his courage and boundless determination at how he managed the team after his accident.

A lot of questions remain after Senna’s demise, but most of that is us trying to find someone to blame, when the whole of F1 should probably carry the majority of the weight. And since that horrific weekend, which also took Roland Ratzenberger, there were significant changes made to improve driver safety.

Anyway, RIP Sir Williams.

3 Likes

He was a very nice guy. Such a shame.

Simtek were a great team, based at Banbury in tiny warehouse. Very accommodating and friendly

3 Likes

Posted today by Williams Racing.

2 Likes

Ayrton Senna was my idol! I never felt any of it was the teams fault. Senna spoke up about his safety concerns regarding Imola. A lot changed after 94.
Frank Williams was no saint. But he was a a Formula 1 icon.

3 Likes

That was a racing incident. Schumacher was pushing Senna so hard that he made a tiny mistake. It was nothing but a tragic accident. All that changed after made the sport so much safer so while we all lost a hero, his legacy made the sport safer for all.
Senna was my hero as well. B

3 Likes

True. Senna had his doubts about the safety measures, but he raced anyway. Would he have survived had he hit the barriers of today, with the cockpit protectors on the cars? Probably. But competing means pushing the boundaries. Sometimes, someone will exceed those boundaries.

2 Likes