Game of Thrones season 7 (as it develops) SPOILER thread

It’s the Westerosi version of Lake Baikal I guess.

Yeah, that thought went through my head as well…lake or continental shelf?

However, I think they were more concerned with the imagery of showing his Lannister armor literally pulling him down.

Oh, and if you think blue crayon would last thousands of years, you obviously don’t have kids! It’s the red crayon marks you can’t get rid of that will last until the sun fades to a dim glimmer, the blue fades fast. I call that paint made from cobalt, or whatever cobalt equivalent they have there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That ones pretty easy. Highgarden is not that far from and SW from Kings Landing. Cut the Lannister army off in their march home. The Dothraki were not involved in the two previous engagements.

Dragon CAS is awesome.

2 Likes

Totally true.

EDIT: HAR HAR HAR, got meself an idea.

1 Like

Well, the distance isn’t that short, Highgarden is north of Oldtown but still far south of KL and Casterly Rock. The King’s Road does lead straight there, though, so that makes it a fast trip compared to some.

The amazing part is KL sits right between Dragonstone and Highgarden, but is far closer to Dragonstone.

This website has an awesome interactive map: https://quartermaester.info/

Le Sigh. Literally unsinkable.

Ok, I think Cersei is faking the baby. Either that or she gives birth to a dwarf.

The Onion Knight with ‘best lines of the episode’ award. as you’ve got to love that fan service about Gendry rowing.

I didn’t get it at the time, but a really significant bit was with Sam and Gilly talking about marriage annulment within those old records from the High Septure. It basically confirmed that Jon was not a b#stard and is the legitimate heir to the throne of Westeros. Danny now needs to bend the knee, he’s the male-line Targaryen king. Oof.

Not sure about the Magnificent 7 remake going north. I get the impression that not many will come back from this, as they thin the herd as the series comes to conclusion.

3 Likes

Agreed. Laughed out loud at the truthfulness of “Nothing f–ks you like time.”

2 Likes

“Oh don’t mind me, I’ve only lived to a ripe old age” Onion Knight FTW.

For what it’s worth. Cersei’s like 95% faking that kid, and based on Jaime’s shifty eyes of +9 shiftiness during that embrace, I’m inclined to believe on some level even he knows that.

I’m conflicted on Gendry’s reappearing only to be thrown on the Team Fan Service Suicide Squad. I’d like to see his plot arc ended with him at least getting to holla at Arya again, but I can definitely see him dying with Ser Martyrmont and the Brotherhood Without Season Eight Billing to drive up the tragedy.

Also I see what they’re angling at with Tyrion feeling pretty bad about the Westerosi nobility getting put to the torch, but it’s not like Danny was being totally unreasonable. Papa Tarly was being obstinate for the sake of obstinance. DIckJoke was being a fool.

EDIT 1: Did Jon remember to bring enough dragon glass for everyone to share?

3 Likes

I was thinking that was more so that Samwell could become lord of the land that his father deemed him unworthy.

EDIT

Yeah, total brain fart, since his whole reason for visiting the Mother of Dragons was to mine white walker kryptonite. Which brings me to the point that the writing has been all over the place this season. There are scenes which are brilliantly told, while the rest has wreaked of rushed implausibility.

2 Likes

I am pretty happy with the pacing and content. It is easy to identify when then are making jumps across the landscape as they do not have a ton of time to get the story told in the next, 7-8 episodes? They are putting a lot into the effects budget and the constricted timeline is causing problems but overall I happy with how the story is progressing.

Oh yeah and Onion Knight FTW! I hope he survives it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s really the issue–they are compressing to 7 eps what clearly could have been 10 again. We’re seeing one episode span what is likely taking weeks of story time, and it’s happening almost every episode now. Anyone who watched Babylon 5, when they thought the end of the 4th season would be the end of the series and they rushed to finish the main story, only to later get a 5th year and find it light on content, recognizes this pattern.

The justification for shorter seasons was to be that the episodes would cost more individually but as a whole these 7 would cost as much as last year’s 10.

However, if the show ends 3 weeks earlier, that means people who only signed up to HBO to see it will cancel three weeks earlier. A 10 episode run spans 3 billable months, while 7 may only span 2. That’s who knows how many millions of viewers who only showed up for this x $15 or whatever you’re paying that they lose.

Next season at 6 episodes will definitely only be 2 months’ worth of billing.

The one difference is that in this case they know where the end is (next season), they know where the story needs to go (notes from GRRM) and they know how much of a budget they have from HBO and the math results in a seven episode season now and a six episode season next year. Not ideal, as I think we would all like more (like even two 8 episode seasons even) but HBO has decided what the budget they feel comfortable is and that gives us the timeline and fast story pace.

The difference with Babylon 5 was they they did not know there would be a season 5 until after season 4 had been completed. They left themselves space for story in season 5 but they had to finish up the bulk in season 4.

At least with GoT we are getting a coherent (I am assuming here) season 7 and season 8.

I think I read (can’t find it now of course) that Season 8 would be 8 episodes of 80 minutes each and would close out the series finally. At current pace that seems like quite a lot of time. I thought they were doing a movie as well? Not sure how I feel about that, but I guess it could work.

2 Likes

Well, I’d do anything to get my fix, so… They can pretty much do all they want.

GOT S8 will be 6 eps, one fewer than the current season, but each episode will likely run longer.

That said, if you total the running time for all 7 eps in S7 and the 6 in S8, I’m not certain that S8 will come out longer than 7, but it may not be an entire hour shorter.

For example, I believe I read that S7 has both the longest (the finale) and shortest (just breaking 50 mins) eps in the series’ history. Previously I think I recall an episode at just over 51 mins being the shortest.

The movie idea was mooted but in the end abandoned. Regardless if the finale of S8 is 90+ mins, where you could call it effectively feature-length, it will still be aired one week after episode 5 on HBO next summer.

1 Like

6 Likes

Don’t need a ballista when he’s rocking those guns.

Well, Bob, that’s a classic case of using your enemy’s strength against them right there.

You said it, Jerry. Team Fire has an unexpected challenge ahead as Team Ice manages a brilliant defection in the sudden death round.

2 Likes

Size of Westeros in Books:

Size of Westeros according to HBO:

Gendry…not even seen snow before…but hell, Can run a country’s length in it in .5 femtoseconds
And thats just one example of this episodes many times crap went mach speed to get places.

1 Like
  1. Stark Sisters for the win!
  2. Cersei literally can’t stop Cerseing, though at least we see what it takes to unshackle Jaime
  3. Bran, is it so hard to send a goddamned raven?
  4. So we’ve solved the mystery of what undead dragons breath: goth fire.
4 Likes

Indeed. A shame to see the Wall come down given its history, but wasn’t that a spectacular scene? Kudos to whomever animated the zombie dragon’s graceful ferocity.

Given Jon/Aegon Snow/Targaryen’s reveal, his former persona’s fearless stroking of a dragon’s snout makes sense now. From b-----d to incestuous nephew - it will certainly be interesting how the King of the North survives his aunt/lover’s coming turmoil once she learns his true identity.

FWIW, I won’t miss him, but I thought that Aidan Gillen, the actor who portrays Lord Baelish, was absolutely masterful in his last act. His expressions and body language as Sansa presented accusations and as he learned that the plot to turn sister against one another had come undone was brilliant.

4 Likes