Getting a window into VR

I’m looking for a solution to getting a window into Aerofly 2FS so that I can see both checklists and IFR approach charts. Has anyone dabbled with OVRdrop and can comment on their success or failure? At $15, it isn’t break the bank money, but I can see several scenarios where I’d like to have this work (almost all flight sim related).

3 Likes

I don’t have it but it looks interesting. I imagine the performance and use might be a bit similar to the XP11 plug MoveVR?

2 Likes

Beach I am sure in oculus home you can highlight a window to be viewed in a game. Some guys had you tube on a window whilst flying dcs

So I went ahead and took the plunge on OVRdrop this morning and kissed away two hours of experimentation time. The verdict: yes, it works - but you’ll have to play with it a bit to get the feel for it, this is not a one click and you are done solution.

For my purposes, what I was looking for specifically was a way to get a PDF approach plate into my Aerofly FS2 cockpit in VR. In this, I was successful, and now that I’ve been through the process, I think it will be easily repeatable. Most of the struggles and frustrations have to do with finding the right window “focus” for what you want to do. OVR has tons of options to constrain cursors and order a window to stay on top, etc…and you simply must explore the program to figure out what works for you.

In Aerofly 2, it actually works pretty good, and even if AF2 loses focus, all of your controls still work (stick, rudder, throttle, and even most mouse clicks). You can elect to pin your imported VR window to a fixed location in VR, which works out the best for my purpose of reading a chart in VR, or you can have it follow your head (not a good idea), or you can attach it to a hand controller, which might actually be a good option too (as in "I’m whipping out my checklist…ah…there it is!).

Anyway - options abound…

You can, of course, move the window you’ve imported into any position you want - rotate it, tilt it, bring it closer, slide it left, right, up, down. You can also set the FPS at which the window is rendered, which is important to your in-game smoothness. The program runs in Unity, so there is some overhead, but for something like a chart or checklist, there is no reason to run that window at anything more than a couple FPS. If you are watching a video or movie, you can set it to 60FPS and even in AF2 I didn’t see much of a performance hit.

Pinning the approach plate PDF to the yoke area would be nice, but it looks a bit off because it sort of floats above the rendered cockpit, so it is a bit off-putting. Obviously the best solution would be for AF2 to allow some native import of charts or PDFs sort of like AviTab can for X-Plane. I found it much better to just put the chart window off to the extreme left or right, out of the view but available with a turn of the head if I needed to reference it.

If you chose to, you can control the window using your cursor, which is sometimes where the “focus” issue can crop up. I have only tried the utility in AF2, so I don’t know how it works with X-Plane or P3D yet…I’ll do some additional testing.

For those of you that do those long haul flights in VR…well, now you can be entertained…

Overall I think I like it, once I get it more figured out. It does exactly what I want it to do, but does have a learning curve that will take some time to get figured out. You can save presets and stuff…so I’m hoping I’ll get a profile that will work good.

3 Likes

?

Why didn’t you just use the features of Oculus Dash?

1 Like

Because he’s not using an Oculus device.

1 Like

Ouch! Now’s the perfect time to fix that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like