GFX Resolution issues

I recently made some changes in my windows 10 display settings. I accidentally changed my res from 1920 x 1080 to 3840 x 2160. In the heat of the moment I selected the “keep changes” option instead of “revert”. Normally I would just change it back to the correct res but now the drop down window of resolution options are greyed out and I can’t change it back.

I have an AMD R9 380 card and have tried a number fixes to get it back. Anyone have any experience with this kind of issue? Is there a way to force a resolution change? Maybe through Command Prompt? Appreciate any help.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the GFX drivers (they were up to date) but that didn’t work

I’ve gone into device manager and changed the driver from the AMD to Windows basic driver and that didn’t work either.

I tried a system restore and that also didn’t work.

Safe Mode?

1 Like

Yeah, enter safe mode and reset your desktop resolution.

Could it also be that you need to disable Super Resolution in your driver?

Last time I did that I just remote logged in via TeamViewer and Changed it back…
That or memorize KB macro.

Right Click Desktop,
Up Arrow 4x, Enter. (brings up display menu)

Tab 10x to Get to Resolution, Down Arrow will drop to the next resolution, you can use Space to revert, or left arrow space to keep.

Or after Tab 10x, Space will open drop down box, hold Down arrow for 3 or 4 seconds to go all the way to 800x600, Press Space to Select. From there, Left Arrow and Space to Save, or Space to Revert.

Edit, the Res being Blocked out maybe a driver issue.

2 Likes

Thx guys didn’t even think about safe mode (facepalm). I’ve been working in road construction the last few years and don’t see my PC 2/3rds of the year. Guess my limited repair skills are suffering from the lack of PC use. That guys I’ll give safe mode a try when I get back home later this week and let you know if I’m still having issues.

I hope you manage to get it sorted out. Problems like that drive me nuts when I get them…especially if they go unresolved before I have to head out on the road.

2 Likes

You described most of my problems in life. :rofl:

1 Like

Thx again guys it wasn’t a quick and easy fix through safe mode but I was able to get the issue resolved with safe mode and some driver re-installation. Still not sure what caused it but its back to normal. Appreciate the advice. Next fix is to replace this aging machine.

5 Likes