Got a DIY controller project? I can help

Do you have a source on that? Out of interest, i had a glimpse at the data sheet and couldn’t find it.

In general, using two magnets will give you a more linear relationship of magnetic flux change per degree, but i’m not sure how this applies to this sensor exclusively.

No, not really. That was just how you placed the mags around the hall sensor.
Here’s a typical example of a Bic pen arrangement. When I did my six axis throttle quadrant I used diametrically polarized ringmagnets instead. But I had to put steel shields between every other axis to stop the hall sensors from getting disturbed by the flux from other magnets. It worked, but it was cumbersome. I used TLE sensors on my next project, and that was much easier.

Where do you find the handy boards the TLEs get mounted on?

I got mine from AliExpress. Sensor on board.
Here are a couple of links.

@Troll got any brilliant suggestion for a brake lever sensor? I’m building a little addon for my Cougar stick and I think a full axis input would be awesome vs a single microswitch. Haven’t really found any good solutions though, perhaps you have run into something fitting?

2 Likes

Maybe?

1 Like

It certainly would. I assume that’s how Soviet fighters really brake/steer - that the pilot can adjust the braking pressure to more easily get the turn he wants. The three old MiGs in the DCS collection 15, 19 and 21 all steer that way but having 3 different developers, each steers very differently.

2 Likes

Interesting idea on the loadcells! I briefly considered the pedal sensors you see for racing sims but quickly dismissed it. I do think size is a limiting factor since I am running the HOTAS unextended currently. Cheers Troll!

1 Like

I can imagine it would make a huge difference…same with the L-39.

With the key press brake you need to pump the brake lever to make incremental turns and it results in a fairly janky turn, with the nose bobbing up and down…you don’t see that in footage of the real aircraft taxiing.

1 Like

I think the Russian system is quite smart, the hands control the brake force, the feet control the distribution of the force instead of putting both of these tasks on the same set of limbs they split it up. Though not very relevant on modern aircraft.

Thank you, Sir. Again

1 Like

Hey, new to the forums.
I want to make my own flight stick for Elite Dangerous, but don’t really know where to start. I’m completely new to this, but willing to learn anything necessary. If you or anyone could nudge me in the right direction, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Also, I know this forum’s for mudspike, but it has a lot more controller DIY stuff than any other forum I’ve found.

2 Likes

@Mr.Tuesday! Welcome to Wednesday and Mudspike! :mudspike:
We do have some seriously disturbed individuals who build game controllers, frequenting this forum… :wink:

So, do you have a donor flight stick, or do you want to go all the way, and make something from nothing?
Tell us about your vision…

I wanted to make something from scratch. I currently have too much time on my hands, and a recently finished 3-D printer, and access to pretty much any tool I’d imagine to need.
I want a full setup, so flight stick and throttle, but no pedals. Starting with the flight stick, since that seems like the hardest thing.
Thanks for responding so quickly! Also, sorry if my project still isn’t clear, I’d be happy to clarify more.

2 Likes

Please elaborate!
Hearing about other peoples projects is pure inspiration!
I’ll be more than happy to help you along.

The first thing you want to look at is availability of parts. Bearings, rods, springs etc. Do you need to order them or can you source them locally? Same goes for electrical components.

I would start with trying to get the basic mechanisms right first, the cam systems for the centering mechanism, the throttle throw distance, any notches for afterburners or idle detent(@Troll can teach you all about this :wink: ).

Once you’ve got that worked out start by implementing the electronics. What kind of sensors do you want? HAL vs potentiometer, that sort of thing. Then how will you hook it up the computer? You could use a standard board like a Bodnar Board or use an Arduino or Teensy as a joystick.

All of these factors depend on your own skill though, how well can do you solder, program ,drill and design parts?

So, lots of questions, not a lot of answers right now :wink:

2 Likes

Calling Mr. @gadget into this discussion.
Gadget has got some very interesting controller boards in the pipeline…

2 Likes

Greetings @Mr.Tuesday…wasn’t that a Beatles song?…anyway…

Eliete Dangerous has a template for the Saitek/Logitek X-52 stick throttle that works quite well - good/logical assignment of axis/sliders/knobs/buttons. I mention this because it might give you some ideas as how you want to set things up. As you know, the ED pace environment means that controls are just enough different from standard aircraft controls to make things sometimes difficult.

I was planning on using an Arduino board, maybe start with the Arduino Uno, since I already have one and it’s solderless, then once I get everything working use a Arduino micro and solder stuff together. I wanted to start with the base, but I don’t know what to purchase, or really how to design it. Was planning on using pots, but I’ve never heard of HAL, so that could be something I’d have to consider. I already have a good idea of how I’m going to do the programming, if I don’t find something to use I can write it myself. Design is what I need to work on, I was thinking of basing it off of other people here who did the same project, but I haven’t found anything detailed enough. Chances are I didn’t look hard enough.

Always a good idea.

Seeing as I’m the guy using overturned Lowes buckets for my “sim pit”…I’m just going to wander off and bother somebody else…let’s see what my cats are doing… :grin: