Got a DIY controller project? I can help

Thanks for the welcome @Troll !
Just one or two, I’m looking into a simple & compact throttle quadrant with a few buttons …

Br.
Patrick

Ok. Will you be needing a teensy controller as well, or just the shift regs?
I have TLE5010 angle sensors and the rest of the electronics you will need, if interested.

1 Like

Uh, kind of forgot about this again… Thanks for the link, I’ll just order from there :+1:
What about the 74HC165 chips, did you find a good place to order those? Aliexpress ?

Edit: Do you have a link for those breakoutboards with two shift registers also?

Sure, here.
https://aisler.net/p/JFSTVBDH

These are for a Teensy2 microcontroller and shiftregisters.

I bought my electronics on ebay, from various sellers.

10K resistor arrays.

74HC165 Shift registers.

And if you like you can get some 2,54mm header pins and dupont connectors to make contacts.
Also, some 16 pin dip sockets may be smart to change a busted shift register. Haven’t happened to me, so far, but it’s a small investment that can save some hazzle in the future…

2 Likes

Hey @Troll, no, I already have 2 Teensy 2.0’s, ready & programmed, and I’ve also have received 10 or so TLE5010’s PCB’s via Aliexpress … If you do have the components for the shift registers PCB’s (I guess the Shift register’s and resistor arrays ?) that would be great, but if not, no issue.

Br

Patrick

3 Likes

Sure!
Have a look at the teensy w shift reg PCB, in the post above yours. I can send those as well.

2 Likes

So, @PDM, do you want me to send some shift regs? Want me to solder them for you?
All at cost, which means one beer. That’s about $5in Norway. :wink:

Hi Troll,
I guess that would be a small beer then for 5$ :smile:
Concerning the pcb’s, I’m ok for now, since you pointed to Aisler I went ahead & I have 3 PCB’s on
the way now …
Br
Patrick

1 Like

Those are the ones I made :slight_smile:
Let me know if you need help.
Good luck!

Please post your progress! Always inspiring to see other peoples projects!

1 Like

Indeed, I’m fully aware these are your designs ! :hugs:
I’ll send some updates when I get things started !

Br Patrick

3 Likes

I have a little question…

I would like to improve my Track IR reflector on the hat from the shape of a half-pipe to a sphere*.
This way I imagine that I improve the “Gimbal Limit” detection limits.

Gingerly I simply applied little balls of aluminum foil but the folded metal became so faceted that it wasn’t effective in reflecting IR anymore.
Silly me. :stuck_out_tongue:

What would “You” use?
(And by you I expressly include @Troll )

*or hemi-sphere

LED’s and a small battery. Or even better, get the Track clip Pro or a Delan Clip…

1 Like

Uhm… yeah. That’s another angle to solve the problem, and one I considered as a final measure, should all the rest fail.
I honestly just wanted to try something high speed/low drag before bringing ou the LEDs.

In the meantime I’m trying with high-reflective tape ( fifty euro cents… :stuck_out_tongue: ) shaped in a bigger half pipe for larger “gimbal angle” of reflection…

A 2nd hand oculus rift would cure what ails ya @komemiute :wink:

1 Like

Eeeeh, I wish- I had the luck to test it and I loved it. My current configuration allows me to play comfortably with all the games I have…
That said I still can’t buy it, not even second had. :slight_smile:
But it’s ok.

Alright @Troll I’ve got a good one for you:

I have always wanted to learn stenography (why is a topic for another time). Actual steno machines are 500+ USD to well over a couple thousand. There is a program called Plover that allows you to use a simple keyboard to emulate a steno machine. However you need a keyboard that supports n-key rollover (NKRO- the keyboard will output multiple key presses, up to all the keys when pressed at one time), which can be a bit of a pain/expensive to find. Even then you are having to mod the keyboard to get anything close to the feel of real steno machine. There are quite a few enduser made steno keyboards (for example this), but it is again not real close to the feel of a real steno machine.

So as there was no way in heck I was going to spend $1,000+ on a electronic steno machine, $60 on ebay got me a real live steno machine shipped directly to my door. Something similar to:

There are 24 keys, and it functions just like a typewriter in terms of the typebars pressing an inked ribbon onto the paper. The paper feeds after each chord (multiple keys pressed at the same time like playing piano) automatically.

I would like to, using a series of contact switches (either under the keypad area, or deeper near the typebars, wire it up to a keyboard NKOR emulator so I can run Plover with that as the input device.

If you have any suggestions on a keyboard emulator, or button board that can be setup to output keystrokes and any ancillary hardware needed I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Wow!
That’s so cool…!

I know a teensy2 with the MMJoy firmware has a keybuffer that allows for both multiple button activations and sequential output…
But that will just give you directx buttons, like on a joystick.

Stenography has always puzzled me. How can you write without a full alphabet and why don’t they just use audio recording?

1 Like

The main thing I need is simultaneous output for the buttons/keystrokes (up to potentially almost all the keys at one time). I can always remap the button press to keystrokes, that’s not too bad.

Multiple keys pressed at once are called a chord. Steno is based on sounds and basically having a dictionary that relates the keypresses to words/phrases, sounds, and letters (in that order of precedence). You press chords to get your sounds basically (a lot like playing piano). I’ll explain in the reverse order though.

So if I want to write “sat” I’d press the S, A, and T key all at the same time, spelling the word out. If I don’t have the letter on the keyboard, for example “b”, a combination of the other letters fill in for it (PW specifically in this case). Yes you do have to memorize the 9 letters that require a chord. Spelling a word out is a like like in sign language, a last resort when you don’t know the sign. In steno you don’t have a brief (a chord that equates to that word), and for whatever reason you can’t sound it out (homophones are the big one, bear and bare, etc).

If I wanted to write “harmonica”, I’d use the syllables “HAR/MON/KA”. So I’d press 3 cords, versus 9 keystrokes. Initially it’s ALOT slower than typing as you get used to thinking that way. Once you start to get it down, though… These chords to form words are called outlines. You should be able to reproduce almost any word you hear this way. But it’s still not that much faster than typing (if you’re a good typist).

Lastly where you really make up your speed is in using briefs, think autocomplete before computers. This is keypress or chord that can stand in for a word, phrase, paragraph etc. This really speeds things up, and is where steno really has the advantage. For example the leftmost key of the keyboard is the letter “S,” and it’s used almost universally as the brief for “is.” “T” equates to “the.” Microscope might be the chord PB T. A court report might use the phrase “The suspect stated” hundreds of times in a trial, and have a brief that’s one chord. In the old days, you learned a standard set of briefs as a “theory” when you were in school. You had to be able to read the raw stenotype output and know what the heck was going on. Now days the machines do it all for you spitting out text in plain english.

Audio recording is not a valid transcript of a trial here in the US. Audio court reporting is a whole different ball game, that’s actually usually more a pain in the butt to deal with in the courtroom (I’m a full time US police officer, and I’ve testified quite a bit in court). They have to repeat back what they heard you say, so they can only go as fast as you talk. You can’t talk over/cross talk, and they have to speak at a pace that’s just barely faster than most people talk to let the software keep up (and I talk fast, so I am almost always scolded to slow down!).

I did a deposition where they videotaped me (well digitally video recorded me), and had a stenographer doing the transcript. The actual legally admissible statement that I reviewed and signed as true and correct and that was admitted at trial was the steno transcript. The video was entered into evidence, but was not sworn as true and correct. What the court would use in the event there was a discrepancy between the two is the signed sworn transcript.

2 Likes

Hello Troll

First I would like to thank you for all that you have been doing for this community. I very much appreciate it.

Have you considered doing pcb’s for the MCP3202 DIP 8, MCP3204 DIP 14 and MCP3208 DIP 16 IC’s for use with MMjoy2? I am thinking something in the same vein as Debolestis’s DIP shiftregister pcb’s.

I like the notion of using DIP sockets for easy replacement of a faulty chip.

I am not asking because I don’t want to do it my self, but because I unfortunately lack the skills, instincts and knowledge to do it. Trying to make circuits is like gibberish to me. I know what the components do by them selves, but I have absolutely no grasp of what happens when combining them.

I haven’t seen them offered up anywhere. (Could be my lack of Google Fu.) I have seen rel4y’s MCP3202 pcb, but smd are beyond my eyesight and motor skills.

I have a hard time believing that I am the only one that could use those kinds of pcb’s.

At the moment I need them for my Warthogesque righthand grips on Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Leopard 1 A5DK gunners grip/buttonbox combination and a righthand 2x twist Throttle Collective.

For shiftregisters I have gone with 4021’s and Debolestis’s 1 and 2 chip OSH Park pcb’s for them.

I for one would be very grateful, if you where to do this. I am pretty much convinced that there is others out there, that would be as well.

Here are the pinouts for the MCP’s and a circuit example with the MCP3208 by mega_mozg.

MCP3202 - Layout01

MCP3204-08-Pin-Diagrams

Happy Simming

1 Like

I thought about answering this but as you specifically asked for Troll I’ll leave this one to him.

1 Like