While the VRS was creeping
Pulling for power had no effect
After the onset of that bad buffet
And the VVi said something to the effect
I tried to slip but I was dead

9 Likes

This recovery technique works in DCS

10 Likes

That is an AMAZING video for VRS! Awesome! Thanks @Hangar200!

2 Likes

Ah yes … VRS… I remember it well, normally ends with collapsed undercarriage and tail boom in the next field over from where you land (crash)

4 Likes

Yeah, fantastic video Hangar200. That IP has big ones to perform that at what looks like low altitude, but the imagery was superb.

2 Likes

Awesome!

Actually this method is really useful particularly in low alts where you have no space to push the cyclic and gain some forward speed (while loosing height) .

2 Likes

Hopped into the Mi-8 tonight and spent 40 minutes trying to figure out how to get it started; am now convinced that it’s a three person job given how spread out across the cockpit all the systems are. Seems to be a thing for Russian helicopters to be ergonomic nightmares.

When I finally got it up, dodged Sidewinders from @WreckingCrew, @Dark_Star, and @Varus until Varus finally damaged my rotor with a gun burst. Thought I could keep going but rotor eventually clipped tailboom and down I went. Definitely not a helicopter for a high threat environment.

3 Likes

The Mi8 IS a high-threat environment.

11 Likes

@WreckingCrew’s Ira’Dib is focused to make it easy for A-10 pilots, so there’s no real threats outside of HMG fire for blue aircraft, but it leaves the few red slots in a bit of a pickle; not that there’s much for the lone Mi-8 to do there anyways.

2 Likes

But…but…but…the fan!!

1 Like

If there’s anything that screams “Russian solution to a problem” it’s a cooling fan with no OSHA compliance.

1 Like

What cracks me up is how you use the fan to know when your rotor speed is too low. Ha ha.

1 Like

What??

If memory servers, when the rpm falls below a certain point, the generators go offline, so the fan(s) quits.

3 Likes

The fan thing is hilarious!!! I spent the day watching RedShot’s video on startup then I was able to get a good start. Then RL took over and I grilled, gave my girlfriend some attention then got ready for work. The start is bad. I programmed a hat on my joy to the seats.

4 Likes

I’ve watched Redshot’s videos (startup, autopilot & landing) and done the cold start tutorial a couple of times.

The cold start tutorial works but has a few quirks: some of the instructions go so fast you can barely read them and on the other hand there are a couple of rather long pauses, during which you wonder if something went wrong. It could use a refresh and a generous helping of “press space bar when ready”.

Edit:

Well, that went a lot better than last time. I did a very careful circle around the taxiway, never going higher than 100m or faster than 50kmh, watching the VSI like a hawk…and managed to bring her back to mother earth safely.

I think the key with this big momma really is to do things slowly and methodically, at least until I’m more aware of her quirks.

6 Likes

The kneeboard check list isn’t all that bad…it isn’t all that good but…anyway.

The vital steps are all there. There are more steps that are useless, a few redundancies, a few ambiguous, and a few completely missing. ice you figure out which is which, and what to add under various circumstances (like the lights at night) I can follow the checklist and start the thing in just over 6 minutes (in the dark)

I’ve been meaning to edit the darn thing. Anybody know where tat “lives” on the hard drive?