GOTHQ Get Out The Hangar Queens Mi-8 HiP

Simmers,
Its not even close to March but I cant help myself. Its time for Get Out, Hanger Queens! How many want to devote themselves to be ridiculed by the Mi-8? I DO!!! Pick ME!!!
I cant remember the last time I saw the Hip. Ever since it tried to kill me(and succeeded multiple times) I put it away forever. Lets get the thread started with some subscribers to begin with. So who is in?

4 Likes

Count me in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m in as well! Along with my MiG-21, another potent pilot killer.

1 Like

:+1: count me in.

If anyone needs help breaking a tail off in normal flight, misreading the instruments or hunting around for the generator switch and crashing into an oil rig that should of been 8 or so miles off to the east…let me know.

I really love the hip

4 Likes

I will be in when able but here is my start up guide for those that need it

4 Likes

As Shakira said… “Mi8 Hip don’t lie (still- with that stronk Russian engines)”

Or something like that.

2 Likes

I’m in, @komemiute is doing his artistic magic already, so it’s gonna be good.

3 Likes

Multicrew will be FUN!!

But please make sure the canopy is CLOSED and the brakes are off :rofl:

4 Likes
4 Likes

I’m game; I use autostart with the Mi-8 because I’m too lazy to go through the process, so I should probably sit down and take the time to do it properly.

2 Likes

The Hip kneeboard has a sufficient start up checklist. I’ve fund that once you get to know it, it is not too difficult. Although I do things in a different order, @Cib’s video captures all the necessary steps.

1 Like

I’m just using the Mi8 … until the Hind comes out :smile:

4 Likes

Huh…I never knew that. I dont think I’ve ever opened the kneeboard on the hip. I’ve always used my printed and laminated copies which are a PITA to use in VR.

I’m gonna try this immediately. Nice one Will, thanks!! THIS is exactly the reason we are doing these monthly aircraft. Handy little tidbits and group learning!! Love it!

6 Likes

I was thinking exactly that when I read that post - hit the nail on the head there!

1 Like

The hip is a peach to fly, I actually enjoy flying it more than the huey, especially for long x-country nav flights, where I can cruise just a bit quicker…
set the doppler,
get light on the wheels and set the trim,
perform a hover check
then you’re good to go.
you cannot throw it around like a huey, its a bit more of a school bus…

The biggest hurdle I believe is it tends to bite you in the arse when trying to land though.
you have to keep a constant forward speed otherwise you’ll drop into VRS
just creep it in and slowly , & ever so slowly, bleed your speed down.

startup is easy enough and once you’ve been through it all with someone who knows what they’re doing it all makes perfect sense. I never autostart, i prefer to keep my hand in, especially if I havent flown something in a while

The only other thing I would recommend is know your wind direction and always, ALWAYS land and take off into wind.

2 Likes

We are still on the February Yak though right? So don’t we need to save these tidbits for March? Not that I’ve done much Yaking yet… :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m trying to figure out Discord and a Mike. Hope to join some folks online. I’m free on Sunday. Anyone who wants to join for Mi Hip Antics, feel free.

I got discord. Is there a login or… I dont know… link for mudspike?

Send me your discord name and number and I’ll ping you invites

Sent you a PM with invite

3 Likes