Hardware panic mode enabled - Reverb failed

Any chance you’ll decide to go Index if the Reverb doesn’t pan out?

No - I’m pretty happy sitting with my O+ or a replacement HP Reverb until something with the Reverb type resolution comes along.

1 Like

Did you notice much of a clarity improvement with win 10 1903 and KB hotfixes- especially with O+.

1 Like

Welcome @Whitav8!

[edited: didn’t like my tone :crazy_face: Too explain Paul’s reply below, I was complaining about moders and tweakers]

Sorry for what you are going through, @BeachAV8R. I had a similar issue a while back that I traced to a USB hub.

1 Like

This might be why Oculus/Facebook focused on simplifying the Rift S rather than upgrading the existing CV1. It wasn’t a popular decision for many, but maybe Oculus knows what it is doing after all.

1 Like

I did notice a degradation with the interim Windows update that seems to be fixed now. Having Steam change what their SS does just confused the issue even more though. I’m pretty happy with the O+ at 150% but am really missing my Reverb now.

I think inside out tracking is a pretty attractive design at this point. Not perfect, but it is great for those of us that travel.

As for Oculus…I loved my Rift, but after Facebook bought them I was less inclined to buy anything associated with Facebook. It goes beyond the scope of what we should discuss here, but the intersection of Facebook and U.S. politics, and the role it played in the direction our country went makes me want to avoid anything Facebook related. I recognize the hypocrisy of this since HP probably assembled their units in a dungeon staffed by 9 year olds with tiny fingers… :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Inside out tracking works really well with the S. The extra cameras make it in some ways better than the tracking on the CV1, which was already impressive.

As for Facebook, there are certainly issues with how it fits into modern society. I have an account, and I use it, but I am very careful what I write. These days if you apply for a job you can bet that HR will take a look at your social media presence.

2 Likes

Yeah…I’m amazed at what people post or share to FaceBook.

I wish Microsoft would install the “hooks” in their software to allow for more inside out tracking cameras. From what I understand, hardware developers are constrained by what WMR allows…which is a bummer. Probably largely the same with the hand controllers…

Here is a history of my past three months on Facebook:

1. A post to a club page I maintain to promote a contest
  2. A comment on a midnight sun photo that Troll (I think) posted.

Suck on that Zuckerberg. You know that I fly and like far northern European sunsets. Oh and I guess you know that I really like to use your headset.

2 Likes

I did…
One needs to be careful about what one posts online. I mean, even this forum is a social media of sorts.

1 Like

That is very correct. Everything here is searchable I would assume through Google…I mean, just Google “BeachAV8R pull for power”…clearly I’m part of the pull for power mafia…

7 Likes

I had better start behaving myself then. :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’m on the phone with HP right now. I actually finally got a dude that sounds like he knows what he is talking about - Tyler in the HP Omen division is going to work with me on hopefully getting a replacement. He actually understood some of the things I was talking about (BIOS, voltage, USB 3.1, powered USB hub…etc…) so I’m hoping to get some movement on resolution. I told him I’d rather have a replacement than a refund at this point…

2 Likes

So good news is that I finally got someone who knows what they are talking about. This guy is with the HP Work Station team. I guess because I bought an HP Reverb “Pro” headset, that qualifies as a business unit as opposed to a retail customer type product, so I get shipped to a team that does seem more responsive. I was not getting anywhere with the retail side teams, but once I got to these guys, they seem very responsive and knowledgeable. The rep acknowledged that he’s been getting a number of Reverb Pro power issues / cable issues. It sounds like they are going to ship me a new one, but it might be a couple weeks due to low inventory. Hoping they get me something from a newer batch to be honest…I’d rather wait…

6 Likes

Crazy USB-isms. Never realized how finicky USB can be until I had operating problems with my new TM HOTAS.

I had to go into regedit and turn off USB “EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled” so the stick wouldn’t go to sleep mid-flight.

Digging further in the thread linked below, I found the reporting utility USBDeview that will tell you all kinds of stuff about how your USB ports are behaving or misbehaving. It will also clear the ports. I scanned it and seems like it is safe.

Because of this, I “dedicate” a port for a specific purpose and only plug in a specific device to the port. “Don’t cross the stream” :slight_smile:

USBDeview utility

Wonder if Beach’s problem has to do with the port getting starved?

6 Likes

Hope your second unit works well Beach. Was perusing the DCS forums over the weekend and it seems like comments regarding visual clarity in this HMD vs. others (including the Index) have spoiled owners into accepting nothing less. I really wish HP would get their act together and get this thing both functional and available…

And on that note, my wallet stays planted securely in my pocket till next year…

Thank you BeachAV8R for you clear, concise and most honest reviews. You’re worth your weight in gold buddy. Soon as HP gets it together, Daddy will have one. For now I’m happy w the improvements brought on by Win10 1903 and ED. Still rocking my O+ w a 2080ti for DCS and IL2… And for racing on my secondary rig, the ORift CV1 is Still looking good w a 1080 nonTi card. Assetto Corsa looks amazin on a 65inch TV or in VR.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the Reverb was definitely having power issues…among other issues.

The good news is that apparently a new batch is surfacing that an HP rep has said has fixed the cable issues, heat issues, and power issues. I’ve only seen those comments and observations from watching the WMR Sub-Reddit, but it does look like some hardware fixes have made it into the production and delivery pipeline. I haven’t received a new headset yet, but I’m certainly hoping that whatever shows up is the new version and not the old version. Apparently you can tell if you get the new hardware because the cable junction between the cable and the headset now has a cover that clips over it to keep it securely attached. I never had a problem with my cable (that I know of).

I’ll keep you guys informed when I get the next headset and let you know what I think…

6 Likes