Heads Up Mud Hen Pilots! WinWing F-15E and EX Throttle

You know, all of these sexy HOTAS make me wish for a split screen mode in VR. Sim on top, pass-through camera on bottom. Or an AR mode that would overlay near objects on top of the sim, for a cake and eat it to condition.

2 Likes

Something like this?

The Somnium VR One will have stereo vision pass through…

2 Likes

There are things about the TM throttle that appeal to me. I like the idea of the slap switch (or whatever it’s called) but realize the unit may have to be secured to prevent users from tipping it in their excitement. I like that TM stuck with a replica manual range/uncage knob. The WinWing unit has a modified one with an extra hat integrated into it. I enjoy the additional functionality but find the knob to be a bit awkward. I love that the TM gates are integrated into the unit as a solid piece. WinWing uses a bracket that you have to manually install. It is a pita to align and on one occasion I picked my quadrant up by the bracket causing it to slip out of alignment. This resulted in me having to spend time fidgeting with it to realign it. I also like the switch layout on the TM switch panel. The LG lever is a really nice touch. I may get just the switch panel because the WinWing offering is Hornet-centric. The price is a bit more than I would like.

I’m eyeballing WinWing’s new F-15EX throttle to replace my TM Warthog throttle. I realize I will likely end up getting a new Orion 2 base because I absolutely do not want to have to fiddle with reassembling the F-16 throttle after a swap.

3 Likes

I bought 2 because of this. I fly viper a lot and use this for warbirds too. But my second throttle is got the bug throttles. They are easy to swap

3 Likes

Yea…I have a Orion #1 base and The F-16 Grip and Ka-50 Collective…with the help of a socket/nut driver I can swap out in under 5 minutes…If I’m not Drinking :joy:

6 Likes

Ah yes, nothing better than keeping tools at hand for your gaming needs, especially power tools :wink:

2 Likes

HE IS JOKING!

you know the joke?

Do you know what Win users and Mac users have next to their machines?

Win users have screwdriver and Mac users have bottle of wine :slight_smile:

And you know why?

Because when things go downhill with their machines the only option for Mac users is to get drunk :wine_glass: :wink:

9 Likes

Bah! I have this nice guy at Microsoft support, who calls me every once in a while to fix my problems. Even though he works at Microsoft, he knows the ins and outs of OSX too. Clever guy. Doesn’t cost me much either…
:wink:

4 Likes

That reminds me of an old 1980s movie where main character spills champaigne on the keyboard of his original Macintosh and it becomes sentient…

Edit: the movie was called “Electric Dreams” and as I recall had a sad ending. Not recommended…

1 Like

:eyes: :face_with_monocle: :eyes:
Interesting

4 Likes

Just switch to Linux, duh :wink:
With some luck perhaps I can switch back to Linux full-time in the near future. Windows’ memory handling pisses me off

I wish I did long time ago … when I was still young :smile:

1 Like

I ordered the EX grip and Orion 2 10th anniversary base.
I’ll let you all know what I think of it when it arrives.

6 Likes

I picked up the EX as well! I’m expecting at least a week for shipping, and I’ll post my thoughts and maybe some pics when it arrives!

3 Likes

Casmo has a look…

3 Likes

Nice review.

Everyone definitely has their own preferences. I agree that the sliders are long but they don’t bother me at all. I am not a fan of the suction cups. I prefer nonskid pads but also use desk mounts. I like the aggressive ridges on the rotary knobs. Sorry for all the “I” statements.

7 Likes

I’d rather have had one of the nice long-throw buttons on the left throttle for the left multipurpose button, and a four-way-plus-push hat as the top control on the side of the right throttle (the microphone switch). They could actually have used the same hat from the Hornet throttle for that…

But I’m just being super picky because, honestly, I’m in a really good place with my controls right now. Looks nice, and I am considering the “E” version.

1 Like
5 Likes

Too bad they’re sold out.

1 Like