Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

It was also designed to take down the big cruise missiles those planes carried. Take out the bomber if it hasn’t launched, ignore it and take out the missiles if it has.

I spent a lot of time in F-14FD at full burner trying to close to intercept before they launched, because one target was a lot easier than multiple.

I’d much rather the food potential targets believe the missile is a one ton non maneuverable lead sled. It makes my job that much easier.

Track included in the Tomcat OST. I’m all for the new V a p o r w a v e goodness.

Heatblur is proud to announce that we’ve teamed up with the talented Meteor to create an all-new Top Gun inspired album just for DCS: F-14! The new album will ship for free together with the F-14 on release, offering a 10+ original song barrage of 80s music. The album will be inspired by the 1986 Top Gun soundtrack, and will be the perfect complement to tearing up the skies in your cat. Tasty leads and pounding synths galore!

2 Likes

It’s not DCS, it’s Digital Combat Simulator.

14/14, would listen to while switching to guns due to being too close for missiles.

2 Likes

I’m confused on how a columbian techno dance band represents the Tomcat? WE NEED HAIR BAND MUSIC!!! Or at least a Kenny Loggins cover band.

There’s a sub-genre of electronic music primarily labeled “retrowave”, “synthwave”, and “vaporwave” that’s associated with nostalgia for the ambience and culture of the late 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s. Think lo-fi synthesizers, early electronics, the fuzzy ‘warm’ look of VHS, and so on. The earlier/middle incarnations of the teens fighters fit exceptionally well into this since they started to get things like computer screens, heads up displays, fly-by-wire systems, etc.

Heatblur capitalized on this for the Viggen as well with trailers like “Bröllopsfilm 1967”.

2 Likes

I totally get it for the Viggen, its feels very Euro. Nothing says american ass kicker like “Born in the USA”.

Well maybe theres some better ass kicking songs from the 80’s than that, a kenny loggins cover is a must.

1 Like

Well the up-side is that it should be pretty easy to mod it so your F-14 main menu and/or loading music is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9lZDgGr1PO0

1 Like
  1. That’s an exceedingly interesting choice for ass kicking, considering the lyrics.
  2. There are a number of better choices out there
  3. The F-5 soundtrack is essentially a cover of Kenny Loggins, and as aero pointed out there’s nothing preventing you from swapping the two out.
1 Like

So this is just a need to recreate Topgun. We may be forgetting that the developers may want to distance themselves and their product from that single piece of Tomcat nostalgia. Well, maybe not distance, but not actively acknowledge it, and let the module and it’s iconic subject matter stand on it’s own.

Having said that (groans from the crowd) if it were me, this would be the movie soundtrack I would attach to the wallpaper -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvt7NvfK4TA

5 Likes

I was waiting for that to get posted.

As for me, I’ll be blasting the Steel Panther while I flying the F-14. Though, uh, I’m not going to share any of the music here, as it’s all extremely NSFW (as are their live shows).

Born in the USA isn’t a rousing song, it’s a song of pain. A blue collar worker-turned-vet who saw too much and now has too little left. It sits alongside One and Goodnight, Saigon as tributes to and laments for all who have fought and suffered.

Born down in a dead mans town
The first kick I took was when I hit the ground
End up like a dog that’s been beat too much
'Til you spend half your life just covering up

Born in the U.S.A., I was born in the U.S.A.
I was born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.

Got in a little hometown jam
So they put a rifle in my hand
Sent me off to a foreign land
To go and kill the yellow man

Born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man said “Son, if it was up to me”
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said “Son, don’t you understand”

I had a brother at Khe Sanh
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They’re still there, he’s all gone

He had a woman he loved in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms now

Down in the shadow of the penitentiary
Out by the gas fires of the refinery
I’m ten years burning down the road
Nowhere to run ain’t got nowhere to go

Born in the U.S.A., I’m a long gone daddy in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A., born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A., I’m a cool rocking daddy in the U.S.A.

2 Likes

One could also imagine the F-14 singing it himself, at one time being an ass kicker, now retired and forgotten. His brother the F-18 is out hooking and jabbing, while hes wasting away in Iran.

A story all too true for most vets. I was more badass at 18 years old then I will ever be the rest of my life.

2 Likes

Yeah… I try really hard not to remind myself of that.

Along that train of thought for all the subjects mentioned above:

bout as sad as “road of the gypsy” from Iron Eagle…

Loved that song, and movie! But what the heck did I know? I was 14 at the time. I do remember having to explain how that 150 was not “almost losing” to the bike but in fact flew with full flaps, almost stalling… Yeah, where I grew up motobikes were a lot cooler than airplanes. Unless, of course, you flew the Viggen at the nearby base. You did that, you were a demigod.
No, I wasn’t very popular in highschool… :wink:

Hands down the best feature of the Viggen, the 8 track, confirmed for the F-14. Day complete. Pack it up, we’re done here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3182948&postcount=31

3 Likes

Some good info on a Reddit thread.

The pilot can fire all weapons, regardless of radar mode. The RIO can fire Sparrows and Phoenix.
You’re getting the:

• AIM-54A Mk.60
  • AIM-54A Mk.47
  • AIM-54C Mk.47

The AIM-54A’s are the same apart from the motors. The Mk47 motor is about 15% smaller than the Mk60 motor.
The AIM-54C is an upgrade to the 54A which improves ECM resistance and has better guidance logic along with a new smokeless motor.

Are we getting the AIM-7P?

To be determined. Most likely for initial release we’ll only support the built-in DCS AIM-7 variant/s, and maybe later consider the cost/benefit and feasibility of modelling others. It is quite expensive and time consuming to fully model these things with any accuracy.

Mk. 47 tells us the engine, but which seeker? Are we getting the ECCM? That is the only Phoenix left by the time we get to the “Mid 90s” B-Cat.

We don’t have much control over the seeker or guidance systems currently. We have requested such features from ED, and they responded positively, so hopefully it will just be a matter of time. Currently we can control a (long) list of parameters affecting flight and motor and warhead characteristics, and the three phoenix variants we made compare quite well to the (limited) data available on them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/6kjh3n/f14b_weapons_question_aim9_and_aim54/

5 Likes

Heatblur also released this document detailing their research on the AIM-54.

7 Likes