Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

Don’t know what happened with that copy and paste, but Heatblur is asking for some exterior measurements of an F-14.

1 Like

The more I look at these, the more I think “they can’t honestly put so much effort in a 3D model and then just leave it AI…” No, it can’t be…

3 Likes

Didn’t they say somewhere that they planned to possibly make it flyable? The data on all A-6 variants is pretty widespread. Only big issue is how to handle the bombardier/navigator position.

Jester Ironhand.

The only big issue is if they can get Willem to voice it.

3 Likes

Nahh, need to give someone else a chance to voice “Cole, Virgil Cole, Ironhand” :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

All I know is the first time I hear “fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history!” from one of the Tadpoles in coop, I’m turning my Tomcat around and finding something else to do. They can go experience the same history as VT-8 with their new Flanker friends.

Tiger AI. And yes, it HAS to be voiced by Willem Dafoe. Non-negotiable.

4 Likes

I strongly disagree… I want it voiced by Kate Upton. Plus the navigator has to be modeled after her.
Plus I think we need a snippet of physics coding from the beat’em up “Dead or Alive” franchise…
Just saying.

3 Likes

Show us on the doll where the mean bomber pilot hurt you.

:grin:

5 Likes

I’ve also recently found reading about the IBM /4Pi computer that was the basis for the AN/ASQ-155, which was the ballistics computer used in the A-6E. It’s been a dangerous rabbit hole to start descending down.

3 Likes

Then you won’t be offended when someone uses the actual quote, which is “Fighter pukes make movies, bomber pilots make history!:laughing:

Also, it’d be closer to make the comparison to VB-3, VB-6, VB-8, etc. the actual bomber guys, not torpedo guys. The same guys that flew SBDs, aka a bomber, aka a real man’s plane, who were also known to tangle with enemy fighters on occasion. The guys that made history, in other words. :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t forget you’ll have to gas up at the KA-6D, too. Who will then rub it in your fighter’s face that gas in the air wins wars, not bombers nor fighters.

A lot of basis for expansion though, given how widespread that computer was in aviation. DCS: Space Shuttle confirmed?

1 Like

KC-135 pilots. Trust me on this.

1 Like

Just bring up the air conditioning. Then they’ll either melt or freeze solid.

Said the character… in a movie… who got shot down in his transonic attack aircraft by I recall was a .50 cal? Why are we trusting him as an authority again? :thinking:

puts on Mahan hat. Well actually. Attack as a designation in the naval sense is a combination of the Bomber and Torpedo roles dating back to the A1D Skyraider, which as originally delivered was equally proficient in the dive bomber, scouting, and torpedo roles. Rather than settled for the garish SBTD, they settled for more eloquent “Attack”. From then on it would go on to become the standard nomenclature for “primarily dropping things on other things”. The VA squadrons inherit their heritage from both sides of the coin.

Twisting the knife, the A-6 occupies a role broadly similar to the Devastators and Avengers of yore: they represented the groups heavy strike capability, and were deployed in smaller numbers than their lighter, bomber and fighter compatriots.

You can try and tangle with fighters in the A-6, but without the speed to escape or any sort of weapon to fight back with, you might be better served doing what those guys in VT-8 did: drive into the target and at least try and make the flight out worth while. They certainly made history in the process, and heck, a couple of them might have even survived if the CAG (a bomber pilot I might add) understood how a map worked or had agreed to attach a couple of fighters to protect them (as both the fighter and torpedo squadron commanders had requested).

History is fun :smiley:

ZSU-23 (did Vietnam even have those at the time?), so 23mm. Though I think they did use .50s mocked up as 2A7s in the film. The dude did bomb SAM city, so he was onto something!

Actual research indicates that most Tomcat squadrons actually inherit from VB squadrons, such as VF-14. Which means that the fighter pukes sucked so bad, they had to borrow bomber pilots to do actual fighting!

Also, no points for the Avenger, which actually did an exceptional job in attack roles, so good in fact they couldn’t retire it until the '60s. Once again, bombers superior to fighters! A longer career than even the F6F!

In addition, the mere fact that you have to bring up the Skyraider, which despite being an attack aircraft, shot down MiGs over Vietnam, proves what you always knew to be true: bomber pilots make history! :laughing:

See, this is what makes the A-6 a superior aircraft: you don’t rely on quirky mechanics, hokey religions, or Hollywood to do the work for you. While gunpods and Sidewinders are an option, a real bomber pilot knows how to outfly his enemy, thus winning the battle without even firing a shot.

The CAG was just new to the whole war business and was just trying to take bomber pilot initiative to make history. The fact that you know about him is proof of that!

2 Likes
  1. I knew there was a reason I didn’t like VF-14.
  2. I’m looking forward to reading about your Flanker killing tadpole exploits when the time comes :smiley:

30xMk82s can take out a lot of Flankers. That’s going to be so much fun!

3 Likes

I will force @fearlessfrog to make you a badge if you can nail an airborne flanker with bombs :smiley:

I took out an La-7 in a Ju-87 when playing IL2FB many years ago. Yes, was a human pilot, too!*

*Yes, it was in fact the 2000kg bomb. On a 10 second delay.

3 Likes

Of interest, A-6Es could also carry the buddy pod:

Which means that they could probably fill in some tactical tanking. I’m not sure the circumstances of this picture, since the A-6 in question is also sporting a Maverick. Double duty defense against small ships?

5 Likes