Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update

Quite - so did the USN acronym LANTIRN stand for something else - other than to get on my neck.

Yeah, it stood for Lockheed Already Named This lantIRN

8 Likes
10 Likes

Just sitting here, waiting like…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5PtyrewSs

4 Likes

Don’t wait, practice with the A-4!

1 Like

2 Likes

12/21/18?

2 Likes

Is that date mentioned in the video? I can’t watch it with sound at the moment…

Super impressed with the sounds Heatblur seems to be putting into the Tomcat. Sounds awesome in full burner!

Wow that’s a beautiful fighter!

1 Like

Nah, but Alert 5 podcast mentioned it as a possibility since m Heatbkur said early Winter and it’s the anniversary of the first Tomcat flight.

1 Like

Just in time for me to be away for a week and away from the internet.

:disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

My take: if we don’t get any indications by December 15th, expect it to be delayed to next month.

4 Likes

Sounds like a plan. I’ve just discovered how awesome the f15c is once you get to know it a bit so I can wait a little longer lol

3 Likes

Winter 2019 means one of two things:

March 31st 2019 or December 31st 2019.

6 Likes

Also curious, how hard will it be for the released module to sound that good?

They posted on hoggit that the sounds were “enhanced”, but not fully dubbed over. External sounds that good would certainly raise the standard substantially.

I’m not holding my breath for the release any time soon, but this module has the potential textures, audio, systems depth, and flight model (TBD) to really be the flagship module for DCS.

The deaf part of me wants to say “PLAY ANYTHING, JUST MAKE IT LOUD!” but I think the reality is it’s very difficult. Varied playback devices, different recordings, different samplings, etc. all make it a mess. I think they’ll get it fairly close, but at the same time I don’t think it’s going to be a focal point for most players in the cockpit.

1 Like

To me it seems like each module that comes out improves on the last. When the Mirage came out I was blown away, when the F-18 came out I was taken back again. I can’t wait to hear the work done on the F-14.

Given the work Heatblur has done on the Viggen (…and yes @Troll, I am talking about more than the Ejection sequence…) I’d say that the F-14 should be a winner.

That said, I am a bit disappointed in the Hornet post-release pace of development. However, that is just a personal hang up. I should “cowboy up” and realize that this is probably the wave of the future as far as entertainment software goes–release a workable product ct and then continue to develop. To paraphrase an old cliche, “A partial Hornet in the hand is better than a full Hornet in the bush.”…I’d say so.

Imagine if Daikatana had been developed this way! It might not have psucked nearly as much…maybe…probably not… never mind.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, from ED’s point of view, it’s not “released.” While one would argue that “early access” pretty much means “released,” it’s just wordplay at this point. Nonetheless, I think the Bug has brought a lot more life into DCS that would otherwise be lacking, and it does offer a naval aviation strike asset that will mature with time.

The only thing that could have saved Daikatana would be if John Romero’s ego suddenly popped midway through development.

1 Like