What do you guys think of the new F-14B Tomcat coming out? Also who has ordered it, and what position will you be flying in?
Not that I am against new threads but there is a lot of discussion (and detours to off-topic … topics) over in this one: Heatblur F-14 and Forrestal Update - #2649 by wheelsup_cavu
I suspect that when a release date is announced, we will get a new thread going so we can all share in the combined learning curve
On the other hand … I am looking forward to flying it, probably as pilot until I get familiar with it’s systems from that point of view.
EDIT: Oh and welcome to Mudspike!
Ordered it already!
I will be doin’ some of that pilot
It’s Heatblur. It will be epic!
Welcome to mudspike!
I preordered it the very minute it appeared on the DCS shop. It already looked the dogs’ danglies at that time, and has only become more desirable over time. I’ll be doing frontseat mostly, at least initially.
I will be flying it from a seated position. Standing doesn’t work for me.
I know almost only Eagle Dynamics mods! Can third party ones be even better than the original game developers??
Yes they can. A lot of it probably relates to ED having different priorities with regard to the engine and being unable to commit the time necessary to code something like Jester without having to sacrifice somewhere else. The Hornet is pretty spectacular and the F-14 Tomcat is looking like it will a great addition.
I say yes, but they may lag behind in the update cycle, as ED updates DCS. Sometimes features may be broken by a DCS update. But that’s true for ED’s aircraft as well…
I didnt pre order. Waiting for the release and how the server admins will handle it as I am MP only type of guy.
I mean lets take BudySpike BLUE FLAG servers.
We have Caucasus '80s and Persian Gulf Modern scenarios.
In case thay will add Tomcat for BLUEs in Caucasus (western coalition) and will add it for BLUESs in Persian Gulf (eastern cooalition) I think I will start to consider the purchase ( oc the reviews after release of Tomcat have to be great also )
So if you guys want I created a start-up procedure and I can paste it in here if you guys want?
This is a list containing the Start-Up Sequence of the Grumman F-14B Tomcat for DCS: World.
This list will go in depth about the Start-Up as well as walk you through Take-Offs, Field-Based Landings and Carrier Landings, How to use Jester AI, how to work as the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO), Weapon Employment for all available munitions, and .
List composed by: Dagon X. Bryant (DeltaXrayBravo) (Delta)
Authenticated by: --------------- () ()
Date of Composure: February 4, 2019 (02/05/19)
This list may become outdated over time. We will try our best to keep this list up to date with current updates, weapon releases, and flight model enhancements. If this list becomes too out of date, please let me know ASAP and I will update as best as I can. If worse comes to worst this packet will be discontinued to be updated, or will only be updated once per year. Only the aforementioned people above have permission to edit this document, unless granted permission for a specific purpose which must be passed through the aforementioned people above.
KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE F-14B
Some facts you should probably know, the F-14B was designed as a fleet defense fighter-aircraft. It’s the largest fighter aircraft that the United States Navy as ever employed, and however not tested in Air-To-Air Combat, it proved very successful in the first Gulf-War, and the Invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan serving mostly in the Air-To-Ground. The F-14B Tomcat is a very complex aircraft, as being built and ordered in the 70’s it is not a Glass-Cockpit like the F/A-18C or the AV-8b but instead is old-school with an Analog Cockpit with gauges and switches. The F-14B is a master aircraft and however being easily detectable, having far less efficient engines, not as advanced radar, and being a much larger aircraft, if you know and study her, and fly her to her limits, pushing the boundaries of the Flight Envelope each time you take to the skies you will without a doubt have a clear advantage with this aircraft over any other opponent. Whether you go toe to toe with a MiG-15, or a Mirage 2000, if you become an expert in the F-14B you will be able to defeat your opponent no matter how outnumbered, out gunned, or out flanked the Tomcat will carry you through battle and carry you to a sure and gracious victory over your opponents.
STARTUP FOR THE F-14B TOMCAT
- ENSURE PARKING BREAK IS SET
- OPEN COMM. MENU [/] AND CONTACT GROUND CREW
- CONNECT GROUND POWER AND TURN GROUND POWER ON
- CONTACT GROUND CREW AGAIN
- CONNECT GROUND AIR SUPPLY AND TURN ON GROUND AIR SUPPLY
- VERIFY EMERGENCY WING SWEEP LEVER IS IN OVERSWEEP POSITION (fully aft)
- SET ICS (InterCom-Set) TO “HOTMIC”
- USE JESTER CONTEXT MENU [A] AND REQUEST START-UP [LCTRL+3]
- WAIT UNTIL JESTER RESPONDS TO REQUESTED STARTUP (should only take a few seconds)
- OPEN JESTER CONTEXT MENU AGAIN [A] AND RESPOND TO HIS COMM. CHECK BY PRESSING [LCTRL+4]
- JESTER WILL START THE RIO STARTUP
- JESTER WILL ASK YOU TO ARM EJECTION SEAT (handle is above the pilots seat, can also be accessed by [LSHFT+E])
- JESTER WILL THEN CLOSE THE CANOPY WHEN SEAT IS ARMED CORRECTLY
- RUN ALL MASTER TESTS USING THE MASTER TEST SWITCH
- MSL PREP SET TO OFF
- SW COOL SET TO OFF
- MSL MODE SET TO NORM
- AIR SOURCE SELECTOR SET TO OFF
- EMERGENCY FLIGHT HYDRAULICS SWITCH IS SET TO AUTO [LOW]
- HYDRAULIC TRANSFER PUMP IS SET TO SHUTOFF
- TO START RIGHT ENGINE
- VERIFY AIR PRESSURE CART IS CONNECTED FIRST
- SET ENGINE CRANK SWITCH TO R [RIGHT CLICK]
- WAIT FOR RIGHT ENGINE RPM TO REACH 20%
- CLICK ON RIGHT THROTTLE TO BRING FROM CUTOFF TO IDLE
- ENGINE CRANK WILL DISENGAGE AT 50% AND RIGHT ENGINE IS NOW STARTED
a. RPM: 62-78%
b. TIT AROUND: 500°C
c. FUEL FLOW: 950 - 1400LBS/HOUR
d. NOZZLE POSITION: 100%
e. OIL PRESSURE: 25 - 35PSI (15PSI MINIMUM)
f. FLIGHT HYDRAULIC PRESSURE: 3000PSI
- DISCONNECT GROUND POWER
- STARTING THE LEFT ENGINE
- SET ENGINE CRANK SWITCH TO L [LEFT CLICK]
- WAIT FOR LEFT ENGINE RPM TO REACH 20%
- CLICK ON LEFT THROTTLE TO BRING FROM CUTOFF TO IDLE
- ENGINE CRANK WILL DISENEGAGE AT 50% AND LEFT ENGINE IS NOW STARTED
a. RPM: 62-78%
b. TIT: AROUND 500°C
c. FUEL FLOW: 950 – 1400LBS/HOUR
d. NOZZLE POSITION: 100%
e. OIL PRESSURE: 25 – 35PSI (15 PSI MINIMUM)
f. FLIGHT HYDRAULIC PRESSURE: 3000PSI
- WAIT FOR BOTH ENGINES TO BE STABILIZED
- SET AIR SOURCE TO BOTH ENG
- SET HYDRAULIC TRANSFER PUMP TO NORMAL AND CLOSE COVER GUARD
- VERIFY FLIGHT HYDRAULIC PRESSURE IS AROUND 3000PSI
- VERIFY COMBINED HYDRAULIC PRESSURE IS AROUND 3000PSI
- DICONNECT GROUND AIR CART
- RIO WILL START, STARTING MORE SYSTEMS NOW THT ENGINES ARE RUNNING
- SWITCH VDI [VERTICAL DISPLAY INDICATOR] TO ON
- SWITCH HUD [HEADS UP DISPLAY] TO ON
- SWITCH HSD [HORIZONTAL SITUATION DISPLAY] TO ON
- SET HSD MODE TO “TID”
- OPEN JESTER CONTEXT MENU [A] AND CHOOSE ALLIGNMENT PRECISION [LCTRL+4-7]
- FINE PRECISION TAKES ABOUT 8 MINUTES
- TURN ALL SAS SWITCHES TO ON
- SET WINGS/EXT TRANS TO OFF
- SET UHF FUNCTION SELECTOR TO BOTH
- SET TACAN TO T/R [TRANSMIT/RECEIVE]
- SET ARA-63 ICLS RECIEVER POWER TO ON
- SET RADAR ALTIMETER BY TURNING ONE CLICK CLOCKWISE [WILL TAKE 2-3 MINUTES]
- ERECT STANDBY ATTITUDE INDICATOR AT LEAST 2 MINUTES BEFORE TAKEOFF
- PRESS MASTER RESET BUTTON
- ANTI-SKID SPOILER BRAKES
a. IF ON CARRIER SET TO OFF
b. IF ON AIRFIELD SET TO BOTH
- TRIM AIRCRAFT STABILIZER USING HAT-SWITCH ON YOUR STICK
a. 1-3 AOA UNITS UP FOR LIGHT LAUNCHES
b. 3-6 AOA UNITS UP FOR HEAVY LAUNCHES
- SET WING SWEEP HANDLE ALL THE WAY FORWARD TO 20° AND PUSH HANDLE DOWN [RIGHT CLICK]
- CLOSE COVER OVER WING SWEEP HANDLE
- HIT MASTER RESET BUTTON [VERY IMPORTANT]
- USE WING SWEEP FUNCTION ON THROTTLE THUMBSTICK TO MOVE WINGS THROUGH FULL RANGE OF MOTION
- SET WING SWEEP THUMB STICK UP TO AUTO
- WAIT FOR INS ALLIGNMENT TO COMPLETE
- WAIT FOR HSD TO SWITCH TO PAGE BELOW
- WAIT FOR RIO TO TELL YOU HE IS READY TO TAXI
- RELEASE PARKING BRAKE HANDLE
- YOU HAVE COMPLETED STARTUP SEQUENCE
TAXI/TAKEOFF FOR THE F-14B TOMCAT
- MAKE SURE BRAKES ARE TURNED OFF
- USE NOSEWHEEL STEERING ON AIRCRAFT AND RUDDER TO STEER
- TAXI TO CATAPULT
- LINE UP ON CATAPULT SHUTTLE
- SET FLAPS TO FULL
- SET NOSE STRUT TO KNEEL
- LOWER LAUNCH BAR
- PRESS [U] TO HOOK LAUNCH BAR TO CATAPULT
- WAIT FOR JBD (jet blast deflector) TO COMPLETELY RAISE
- VERIFY TRIM IS SET
- VERIFY NOSEWHEEL STEERING IS DISENGAGED
- SET THROTTLE TO MIL POWER
- SALUTE TO CREW TO INFORM THEM TO LAUNCH YOU[LSHFT+U]
- MAINTAIN POSITIVE ACCELERATION AND RATE OF CLIMB
- AT 300FT OR 200KTS (whatever comes sooner) RAISE LANDING GEAR
- RAISE FLAPS ACCORDINGLY BASED ON SPEED
- YOU ARE NOW AIRBORNE
Thanks! Any help I can get I will gladly take
No problem, all credit goes to Chuck_Owl however as it was his blog that I learned the Start-up.
What about Left Windows + Home?
Hot start on ramp or runway start.
You guys can do that, but I know I like to do Cold Starts, hot starts or LWINDOWS + HOME is good and time saving in some cases, but to me I play for realism, and I want to cold start it so I actually feel like Maverick while flying… just my take on this.
Nobody here is that hardcore for real.
Except @Bogusheadbox and his F-111…
Wait, so you’re telling me they actually flew the aardwkward in Desert Storm? Oh.
Really? I thought he was being facetious…and now I’m being sardonic.