Hollo Pointe (DCS Server)

Hollo Pointe North has been updated to using the new SRS 1.7.0.2

Notes from the SRS Discord:

New RELEASE Version 1.7.0.2

NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH ANYTHING BEFORE 1.7.0.2 - ALL SERVERS & CLIENTS MUST UPDATE!

Major changes are in the changelog below but SERVER OWNERS need to make some changes to their firewall configuration.

Previous Ports 5002 and 5003 (by default) needed to be forwarded for TCP traffic

Now you ONLY need to forward 5002 (by default) but for BOTH TCP & UDP traffic

This version should have some big improvements for latency for Hot Mic RIOs as well as comms improvements.

DATIS has a beta version that should work against this version and a release will follow soon

Please Note: JSON Structure for the export has changed - it now includes Clients And Server version

Changelog:

• Switch VoIP to UDP to improve latency and comms for hotmic RIO (Forward TCP & UDP 5002 by default)
  • Network layer improvements & protocol change
  • Added Server version to client export JSON
  • Removed Administrator requirements for the server
  • Added new Guard option for F16 (VHF only) and F18 (both radios) - Right click to enable/disable Guard on the SRS overlay
  • Added radio filter to mic pass through for streamers - enabled if Radio effects are on
  • Possible fix for SRS volume ducking when overboosting (+15 or more boost applied overboosts)
  • Logging switched to async
  • Whitelisted more Virpil devices

Download here: Release Release 2.0.8.2 Ā· ciribob/DCS-SimpleRadioStandalone Ā· GitHub

To update - just download

• Extract everything from the zip to a folder (on desktop or in downloads for example)
  • Run the installer - leave everything as default unless your SAVED GAMES folder (NOT DCS FOLDER!) is on a different drive (e.g D:)
  • Delete the extracted folder
  • Enjoy! :smiley:

Thanks to you all for the great support!

Donations: https://tinyurl.com/srs-donate

SRS Team - Ciribob & MorpheusXAUT

3 Likes

Recent Updates

SRS v1.7.1.1

I have upgraded Hollo Pointe North to make use of the latest version of SRS, version 1.7.1.1 which will now appear in DCS as a module with its own settings section in the settings menu. This version also features an auto-updater - if you havenā€™t used one of the previous version with it, the auto updater has worked excellently multiple times for both server and client making the setup and installation of SRS even easier. Another new advancement is that SRS can now be started automatically when joining into a SRS enabled DCS server with the autoconnect prompt, which HPN has. No more alt-tab when you forget to start SRS!

DCS Built-In VOIP

We have begun testing DCSā€™s new built in VOIP with success finally! It appears to work quite well, but the network configuration is sensitive and a bad configuration can lead to clients crashing. Fortunately, the server itself does not. Further tests will happen over the next day or so following a recommendation from ED staff in response to a bug report I submitted, potentially needing a restart of DCS.

New Missions

I have some early information on new missions for HP & HPN (that you could see buried in Discord anyway) coming Iā€™d guess sometime in 2020.

@Franze has a new Persian Gulf mission in the works which may soon see some initial testing on HPN. The mission will feature a resource system, meaning attrition of ground units, and their control in Combined Arms comes more into play. Recent AI improvements, especially with Helicopters in regards to multiplayer have helped bring this along. There are still discrepancies between running a mission on SP and MP via Dedicated Server that make design of dynamic environments with the AI a challenge.

@WreckingCrew is working through initial planning for a Persian Gulf sequel to Erl Sis for HP, which has always been popular. Crewā€™s current work is trying to recreate the same mission feel on entirely different terrain - to get the same balance of simplicity & complexity that has worked in Erl Sis so well. This involves planning locations for takeoff and targets, flight distances etc. Myself and Franze take partial blame for delay on this, as what we would consider innovative strategies to win make for a very complex need of anti-exploit mission design.

Server Hardware

HPN will soon see a hardware upgrade which will help with reliability of performance and allow me to try out more things non-DCS. Iā€™m waiting for more information on Intelā€™s 10th generation presently. With that in mind, I would be happy to investigate adding an IL2 server to the roster if itā€™s both feasible from a software perspective alongside current uses and there is community interest.
8 Likes

Nice! Iā€™m looking forward to the new missions, you guys always bring a ton to the table in strategy and fun.

Wellā€¦I did just pick up Battle of Kuban, and a friendly place to show off my impressively poor war bird skills could be fun. :grin:

I donā€™t know all of which planes in what packages but ā€œP40ā€™s at dawn!ā€ feels like the right response to this.

Winner is the loser and vice versa.
Being worst pilot Wins, but you have to lose to win.

Lol, geez I best get to work!!

1 Like

I did figure out the detection scheme.

If you scroll back in Discord, I left a couple of layouts for the coalitions that may work. Not sure if you had worked that all out or not already.

Looking forward to the PG missions! Iā€™m happy to say that, over the past few months, Iā€™ve sort of became a resident at HP north. We need some more EU timeslot pilots, though! Iā€™m usually on my own :slight_smile:

I do wonder if we could get some tiny updates to the mission that are related to the F-16. First, could we get pre-programmed radio channels? I couldnā€™t find presets for the local ATC or the AWACS, always setting that up manually. Secondly, could we get an additional boom tanker that flies a bit faster than the current one? It seems the current is flying at a speed so A-10ā€™s can get gas from it, but I find it a tad to slow to tank comfortably from a pointy-nose such as the 16 or the 15. Maybe between the ferry base and the front lines, thatā€™d be fun. Lastly, could you put multiple F-16 clients in the same group? We tried to get the datalink working, and although we can get the intra-coalition part to work with help from our friendly E-3, we couldnā€™t get the intraflight datalink functions to work, we read online somewhere that those only function if theyā€™re in the same group in the editor.

Many thanks! Iā€™d be happy to lend a hand with this or anything else upon request!

3 Likes

Ik zal eens wat vaker met je mee komen vliegen maat :slight_smile: :netherlands:

1 Like

I hear you. :wink:

3 Likes

Will have to page @Franze for that.

I havenā€™t learned how the F-16 datalink is working yet, but I would hope itā€™s not that restrictive in the future. I thought it was supposed to (eventually) have the SADL link like the Warthog and youā€™d hopefully be able to program your ownship and group ID NET codes like on the Hogā€™s TAD. Perhaps programming comes later.

We can also begin testing Franzeā€™s new Divine Falcon mission. Technically itā€™s a beta within a beta so I hope you watched Inception. :grin:

3 Likes

Iā€™m normally on on Saturday and sunday evenings :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

probably not. but for now we canā€™t change these codesā€¦

afbeelding

and we canā€™t get on each otherā€™s net when changing anything/everything else. So hopefully this will be implemented some day soon. Itā€™s fantastic already as it is, once you talked enough with your bud to find out which green dot is him.

Weā€™re actually having a bit of an upset regarding radio frequencies, mostly in trying to determine how to handle allocation of UHF, VHF, and FM vs AM. Unfortunately, a lot of modules in DCS go their own way with radio functions, like the only helicopter capable of contacting a JTAC is the Gazelle, despite the other three having the right equipment for it. Previously we had assigned frequencies in the UHF military band as that was the most open, but the problem we see with that is some aircraft only have one UHF radio, so itā€™s a problem when you have a flight frequency thatā€™s UHF but also have a need to listen to AWACS. Using VHF for flight frequency assignment seems greatā€¦ Then you realize VHF radios get very different! The F-16ā€™s for example can also do FM 30-88MHz, but not the Viggen. The A-10C doesnā€™t have options for presets.

For the F-16 in particular, I think at launch it didnā€™t have frequency preset settings and I was slow to put them in. I put it aside due to the mentioned frequency management/allocation thing, which still has yet to be solved, but in the interim I can throw in presets on both VHF and UHF for the critical frequencies and relevant airfields.

The refueler problem is a bit more complicated because weā€™ve used up all three of the tanker callsigns and the radio menu doesnā€™t indicate if youā€™re talking to Arco 2-1 over Arco 1-1; I had hoped to do something like a ā€œrequest speed and altitude changeā€ to allow tankers to handle all refueling needs but that got pushed by the wayside. In the interim I can still add an additional tanker but it would have to recycle a callsign; I can stick it on a more northern route as suggested.

I was under the impression that multiple clients in the same group brought some other issues with it, so Iā€™m reluctant to modify those slots for something that may be fixed/changed/altered in the future. However, I can still try bumping up the slots to two ship slots and see how it goes. Doesnā€™t do much for more than two people but that should be adequate until ED expands the functionality.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response, @Franze! Iā€™d be happy with anything. If the tanker or multi-client F-16 group donā€™t get to make it in, then that is fine. I appreciate the amount of effort youā€™ve put into offensive posture so far.

Iā€™ve made the changes to the F-16s so there should be a two ship for almost every slot, plus preset frequencies for most/all of the mission frequencies. Iā€™ve also added an additional Arco tanker under TACAN 8Y and 299MHz AM. Let me know how it works!

We could consider removing the slower boom tanker as well. Main users of the boom would be F-15 and F-16 anyway.

A-10Cā€™s proximity to Gali means that excluding ferrying (where you could use the drop tank) you have to go out of your way to the tanker.

Iā€™d imagine the times the A-10s will use the tanker to be incredibly rare, but I just like to have the option available for the few times it is needed.

1 Like

we tried to test it but HP north is not letting us in :frowning: