Homebuilt VR Lens Using 3D Print and Cheap Glasses

I built my own WIDMOvr style lens and they work pretty well. I got the idea from @ffly here - HP Reverb G2 - #1051 by ffly.

Here were the steps for me:

I got some printed from here:

…of these…

This was for the HP Reverb G1 (not the G2), so it’s not something WIDMOvr etc do anymore. It cost about $10, with postage. They looked like this, and was an easy process to get done:

My good friend @Fridge also sent a bunch my way too (across all of Canada as well). I actually prefer them, as he sent three versions and the thicker plastic feels better:

You can see the round lens put in (with the important orientation / which side sticker I put it).

The lens where from Zenni Optical, and were the 41mm ones here. They came to about $10, although if you have a high prescription or astigmatism, then factor in about $20 more.

So how to make them is just take them out of the Zenni frames and click them into the 3D print. One thing I do wish I did better was mark the orientation of the lens before taking them out of the frame. Because I screwed that up I had to pop into a local opticians and ask them to measure the Axis value again, which wasn’t ideal. They didn’t mind but it was a bit cheeky. If anyone does plan to do this, then I recommend watching this before taking the lens out and marking them up. :slight_smile:

So considering I had no options for the Reverb G1, and it cost about $30, pretty good. It was interesting to play around with as well.

8 Likes

I hereby bestow upon thee, the Troll DIY Seal of Approval

3 Likes

That’s fast! Congrats! I’d have done the same.but high index and blue ray block etc would push my cost to 60+. I am still waiting on my order from a US vendor. Thinking about trimming the shape of my odeysey insert to fit in the g2…

1 Like