Hornet Love = Bush Love

dcs

Originally published at: http://www.mudspike.com/hornet-love-bush-love/

The verdict is in – the DCS Hornet is insanely fun – might you be a backcountry aviator in fighter pilot clothing? It’s the flying… With the recent release of the DCS: F/A-18C Hornet it was immediately evident to me that despite the technical marvel that Eagle Dynamics and Belsimtek have brought to us, the…

Love it!
There’s something about the DCS Hornet release that brought back some very old and fond memories for me as well…
In a way, it’s not «just» a module. In part because of the recent version merger and the release of the PG map, no doubt. But it sure has got that «Big study sim» feel about it. Like when we all got our grubby little fingers around that latest Janes sim, as we tore its cardboard box down from the shelf.
Imagine that! We actually went to a physical store, and bought boxes with discs in them…! :upside_down_face:

That is something that has been missing with these modular releases.

In Ye Olde Days of Yore, you’d get a title that had:

One (or more) planes looking better than previous titles, modeled better

Multiple nonflyable planes that were pertinent to the era/theater that the modeled planes were fighting in

Advances to the AI flying them to make the world more believable

Multiple ground and/or sea targets to fight alongside or against, with sometimes a neutral/civilian one

One (or more) theaters/eras, again suited to the plane(s) being flown, again looking to have more detail than before

A single player campaign, scripted, dynamic, or some in between variant using templates, better than previously

Multiplayer, either H2H, coop, or both, that should have been better than before

The anticipation for these releases could be quite high, and nothing quite beat the feeling of installing the latest Jane’s or MPS sim and seeing just how much things had advanced. I loved those big manuals of the 90s, which let you spend time on the sims even when you couldn’t be at your PC. At work, reading in bed at night, on the can… :slight_smile:
Now as we all know, we didn’t always get improvements in every area, especially in regards to AI, MP ability, and campaign design. There were many instances of the wheel getting reinvented to a lesser degree than the previous title, which left many disappointed and scratching their heads.

So with the pattern established by SpecHolo and Falcon 3, many wanted the Holy Grail of a modular sim where you could add to it without needing to replace the good work done before.
F4 was to do it, but collapsed.
Noises were made about others, like the oft-maligned and mocked Fighter Ops. Really the original Il-2 FB was the first to really accomplish it, but its scope was WWII only and the design was limited to that era. You could go earlier, but realistically Korea was the latest conflict that would work.

The Black Shark DCS release was supposed to introduce the concept for modern jets finally, but as we all know THAT took multiple releases to shake out. We needed to get past A-10C, BS2, and FC2 before the release of DCS World really did it. Of course, by then the fact that new modules were being released for a DX9 title with a map that was largely unchanged from 2010 was showing the aging of the foundation and the major potential weakness with modular releases.

We needed the 2.5 release that brought the DX11 improvements, mentioned before A-10C even came out, and the updated Caucasus map, and the ability to finally have other maps, before we really saw something many of us had been waiting for since 1993 when Hornet and MiG-29 showed us how it COULD work, ironically just as the Il-2 successor series has restored that possibility for its heritage.

This came out longer than I thought, but again 25 years is a long time to wait! :smiley:

That’s funny. I still remember the box that Microprose F-117A Strike Fighter 2.0 came in. It was all hard and glossy and had cool graphics on it. One of my favorite manuals was the SubLogic ATP one with those huge IFR high charts that I would unfold and plot trips on.

While I like the instant gratification of downloadable games and content, I still kind of miss the old boxes with maps and printed manuals…
I remember getting up in the middle of the night to order the Jane’s F-15E ‘Officers Edition’ by phone, to the US…! :heart_eyes:
Still have it!
In fact, I think I still have most of my old sims, in a box.
I have to dive into it, one day. Maybe something should be displayed in a frame, or something like that…

A reminder that bush flying has its risks:

https://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/101/4089-full.html?ET=avweb:e4089:444806a:&st=email#231021

“Cirrus Aircraft has confirmed that Todd Simmons, its president of customer experience, has been injured in a crash at a remote backcountry strip in Idaho.”

“According to people who have some knowledge of the incident and whose identities have been verified by AVweb, Simmons was landing at Dewey Moore airstrip near Big Creek, Idaho. Simmons crashed on a go-around attempt at the challenging 700-foot strip. He was airlifted from the strip, which is at about 4500 feet. The Dewey Moore strip approach is through a narrow canyon with a river at the threshold and rocks strewn on either side of the runway. Mountain flying guides list it as suitable only for experienced backcountry pilots who have had instruction on the twisting approach to the little patch.”

Not the accident video - just a video showing the field:

Wow I never would have figured that Cirrus would have a REAL pilot on it’s staff. Respect!. And to Mr. Simmons a speedy recovery.

He’s taking all those profits from Cirrus and flying a Cub in Idaho. I’d personally choose a Maule…but hey…I like where his head is! :smiley:

Great article Beach, this is the kind of writing I really miss being in the sim community.

Thanks for the kind words. That kind of article is near and dear to my heart…which makes it fun and interesting to write about…

That’s a really nice article. It made my journey to work this morning very pleasant. Also, awesome screens too :nerd_face: