Hot Start Challenger 650 FMS + VNAV Tutorials

I’ve created a handful of tutorials for the Hot Start Challenger 650’s FMS-6000 in X-Plane. While Hot Start has included some documentation to get everyone going, there are a good number of features that are not mentioned in the FMS Primer doc. With my (real world) experience using the Collins Pro Line 21 suite, I hope to shed more light on these unmentioned features and how well Hot Start has modeled the FMS.

I approached these videos with the new CL650 pilot in mind that has little to zero FMS experience. The videos are broken down into various topics, some of which are not new to the “veterans”. But you may pick up a little detail here and there if you watch all of them.

Each video has chapters with timestamps so you can skip ahead if you want and/or “rewind” if needed.

Playlist: Hot Start Challenger 650 Tutorials - YouTube

Basic FMS setup, keypad shortcuts for comms and nav

Creating a flight plan from scratch

A closer look at PERF INIT, VNAV SETUP and TAKEOFF REF and how to get the most out of it.

Basic and Advanced procedures such as adding a holding pattern, direct to a previous waypoint, tracking courses (outbound/inbound), storing and retrieving stored flight plans.

VNAV tutorial: basics, direct-to, crossing restrictions (specified distance from a known waypoint), and using it in climb

9 Likes

Awesome! I’ll have to sit down with a cup of coffee and work my way through these. I’m going to have to pick up this airplane soon as I’ll be heading off to school for the Challenger 650 in the not too distant future.

2 Likes

Nice. Being that you are typed and flew the 604, are you going back for recurrent and 650 differences or are you doing the full deal to knock off the rust?

1 Like

Unfortunately it will be the full initial because it has been about 7 years since I last flew the 604. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for creating these! Greatly appreciated. The pace, content, delivery… all top notch. Very cool.

I bought the CL650 mid Sept and haven’t flown anything else since. Amazing work by the developers. I’m learning so much while having a blast.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Welcome to Mudspike Toneking! Chaz certainly did an outstanding job with these videos.
Today I spent some time installing and setting up the 650 in XP12 (if you ask the developer nicely you might get access to the beta build). I haven’t done much more than power up the APU and activate Navigraph charts and the Avitab tablet/EFB. She’s looking great in the new sim.

1 Like

@Toneking Happy to help out! I’m certainly not a CL650 pilot/expert- I’ll leave that to @PaulRix . But my goal was to simplify the FMS for the sim user, whether hardcore or casual. HotStart for sure made a great product which will do quite well in XP12.

1 Like

You definitely exceeded your goal man! Knocked it outta the park :slight_smile: I get as much enjoyment from learning the systems as I do flying it. In fact, I’ve burned a LOT of fuel just parked while working with the box and watching vids. Good thing the fuel truck guy takes credit cards!

Thanks again for the time and effort you put in to creating your content. Greatly appreciated.

Thank you Paul! Yes, Chaz killed it with his videos.

Very cool that you have real life experience in the Challenger. Something that a lot of us can only dream of. But Toto and the team have provided us with the next best thing… an extremely deep simulation that is so accurate it’s scary :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Michael Roberts
Baltimore, MD

Just watching the FMS PERF INIT, VNAV SETUP, TAKEOFF REF video. You mentioned that temps are displayed on the PFD (sure enough, all 3 are populated in the vid).

Where did that temp data come from? All 3 fields are blank on mine (ISA, SAT and TAT). I’m on the ground prepping for the flight; had downloaded my flight plan from SimBrief and have winds displayed on the Legs Wind page.

You may have explained this in a previous video, but I haven’t watched them in order. If so, I apologize.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Hi Michael,

The air data probes/sensors provide data to the Air Data Computer System which pushes the resulting information to the cockpit display (the PFD in the Challenger 650). I’m seeing the temperature data as soon as I power up the APU and switch on the APU Generator.

I’m not the resident CL650 expert, but typically those temperatures are obtained from a probe (or 2) that goes through an ADC (Air Data Computer) and displayed accordingly on the PFD/MFD. I’m sure @PaulRix could charm us with his Challenger wisdom. :nerd_face:

Paul correct me if I’m wrong- this is the TAT sensor. Then the auxiliary AoA sensor to the left and the right side AoA sensor below it. The co-pilot’s pitot tube is the lower right in the pic and the ice detector below that.

If they’re blank or with dashes “—”, then I’d imagine the computers are still initializing? or it’s a bug in the software.

• Paul responded while I was typing!

No correction required… that’s the TAT sensor. :+1:

@Toneking Michael, have you updated to the latest version of the Beta (both XP12 and the Challenger 650)…things seem to be moving fast and and outdated versions might be giving unexpected results.

THAT’S what I was looking for. Thank you very much. Now that I know what the correct behavior is, I’ll be doing some testing tonight when I get back to my PC.

Yes, I have dashes even when I’ve loaded up the box and ready to taxi. But, I may have screwed something up, and with persistence, I guess it’ll stay that way. I’ll try a fresh Airframe to troubleshoot.

Good thinkin’ Paul, that’s definitely an area to keep an eye on. I have kept up with the frequent updates though. Well, I think I have :rofl: I’ll be checking that as soon as I fire-up the PC.

Thanks again fellas, I sure do appreciate the help. I’ll report back after I do some troubleshooting.

1 Like

I created a new airframe and sure enough, the temps are shown as soon as I power up the APU and switch on the APU Generator. I had been flying the previous airframe exclusively for a week or so… it must’ve got corrupted somehow. In any case, created a new airframe and I’m seeing all 3 temps.

Verified that I do have the latest version of X-Plane and the CL650.

Thanks for the help guys!

2 Likes