How about another round with the friendly AI bot, @Hal

One year ago today our friendly AI bot @HAL gave us a slight diversion for about a week. Anyone else interested in requesting that @fearlessfrog update @HAL, if that is even possible, for another short stint to see how things have changed or possibly stayed the same?

Wheels

2 Likes

I dunno. @HAL kinda freaked me out a little bit…

It was certainly insightful and entertaining, but I believe that there was a monetary cost to hooking us up, along with fearless’ time. While it would be greatly appreciated, I’d hate to saddle him with that, unless of course it’s something that would find beneficial. Further, access to similar engines has come a long way in a short period of time. Microsoft/OpenAI seem determined to integrate ChatGPT with web browsers, office suite, and mobile apps. There’s also a preview edition built into Windows 11. In other words, it’s there for the using, albeit not half as entertaining as a forum member.

1 Like

I had not remembered that wrinkle. I thought there was a cost if he used the live version and not the static version?

So far 2 nay and 1 yay so at the moment it’s not looking good for his return.

Wheels

Not my thing. I’d rather talk to you all…my [real] imaginary friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I guess I don’t find the novelty of it…particularly novel. My wife and daughters have used it as a tool, and I can see the utility of it, but I find the idea of using it for entertainment to be the tech version of Tim Allen’s “power tools as entertainment” routine.

I use the tools to do something I need to do, I don’t look for something to do to justify using the tool…

Wasn’t a fan the first time around. I can see some utility for things like summarizing search results here at MS, or maybe being a more plain speech friendly version of the search box.

Umm … whatever happened to @Discobot ?

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

OK, that answers that question :grin:

3 Likes

I use Copilot a few times a day for work and play. One thing that I became aware of today is that there is a limit to the number of requests you can make in 24 hrs on the free version. Fortunately, the tech company that I am partner in gets Copilot Pro as part of our Microsoft 365 subscription. It’s interesting to watch Microsoft dangle the tech out there hoping to get users hooked like a dealer fronting crack. They giveth and taketh away at their grand wizard’s whim.

5 Likes

I just don’t understand any of it. My business and my job don’t seem to be compatible with this in anyway that makes it more streamlined than say, typing a booking and the relevant info into my calendar.
I’m a bit of a dinosaur though. I SUCK at excel as well.

At least you have a job that is safe… well, until they build a robot body to stuff an A.I. into.

Until then I can’t see one body slamming a truck tyre or putting up a tent in a storm :wink:

5 Likes

Copilot seems to have added itself onto my work laptop. I don’t hate it. Its quite handy when a random thought happens when I’m working along the lines of “what was the 3rd album by alkaline trio called?” But i feel like i might not be using it fully.

I asked it to have a look at my sales ledger and see if there is anything I could add or any formulas that might help but it didn’t seem to understand me

1 Like

Just talk louder and wave your arms around more… like an Aussie tourist :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just so you’re aware, anything you ask most of these generative AIs to “look at” gets transmitted to whatever hardware that AI runs on. Which is almost certainly not your PC (unless I’m fundamentally misunderstanding what copilot is).

Now, mostly they say they don’t store the data and pinky promise not to use it to train the next gen of their AI tech, but there may be legal implications (at least in the jurisdiction I live in) should you inadvertently transmit private or personally identifying information that your business holds.

Then again, I am not a lawyer and they do really pinky promise not to do the bad stuff!

2 Likes

I had the same thought to be honest. It worries me a bit as I’m not the most computer literate person in the world so i have to be extra extra careful

1 Like