Hey ScoopD, here are a few things that may help.
- setup a 5-way hat for your various radios and know them by feel
- I find that the most important word in a phrase is the first one. For instance “requesting refuel” will leave you scratching your head, when the phrase should have been “approaching for refuel”.
- often I don’t get a reply because I am transmitting on the wrong radio(button). But sometimes, it takes a while for the controller to respond. When in doubt, sneak a peak at the VA console, which will give you a good indication of the problem.
- when using simple coms, the Auto button works best
- there may be a word that VA is having trouble interpreting due to how you are pronouncing it. Again, the console will show what it believes that you are saying. If training the Windows speech engine has been completed per the manual, then you may have to change the way you pronounce the word based on what you perceive how VA wants to hear it. In my case, Jester was often being interpreted as gesture.
- just like with A2A refueling, don’t give up. When it finally begins to click, you will rejoice at how natural it feels and how rewarding it is communicating as you do IRL.
- the Interactive Kneeboard extension is a must-have, IMHO.