How Big is DCS?

god i hope this happens. i love it so much. give me moar!!!

Oh man, this. A thousand times this. I just flew a couple hours with a big fan aimed squarely at my face. This kept the rift remotely bearable in the summer heat.

Flew the last two hops in the Georgian War F-15 campaign. The penultimate mission was a hard BVR fight, but fun, even managed to keep all blue machines aliv! Last hop was nice and chill.

Then to wind it down I did the Nevada MiG-15 instant action dogfight. That one can be hard as nails, but tonight, I just blew 'em away, did a bit of cross-country and set it down ever so gently at Tonopah.

I :heart: this sim. With a low sun it looks so freaking pretty these days. And I love how the planes feel, how they react to control inputs. I love how real the pit looks and feels in VR.

2 Likes

You nailed it man. Nothing is more relaxing than a good fight follwed by a nice landing in the setting sun. DCS is just the best. For a long time, I thought they would not progress past just having a few planes but looks like development is ramped up. Cant wait to see (too many to list) new planes. Corsair and Marianas are opening a whole new chapter for DCS.

1 Like

I sometimes load it up and just sit there looking for something to do. Get a bit overloaded and feel like I canā€™t be bothered. Then I pick ANY mission and even if I get my ass handed to me I feel like I ALWAYS learn something. Thats a really really cool feeling. If I fly on XP11 I try and cram what I already know from my real life flying into the experience with limited success but thatā€™s the big difference between them. DCS teaches me! The planes feel fantastic and the weight and feel of them is unparalleled for me. It is just an incredibly amazing piece of software. I say with no hyperbole that I really cannot see a time in my future that will not involve DCS. It just keeps getting better. All the time.

1 Like

Sorry for the necro, but after recent 2.9 update I checked my DCS World folder size and got little worried - I have 4 terrains installed: Caucasus, PG, Nevada and Syria and few modules - F-16, F/A-18, F-14, AV-8B, AH-64, Mirage 2000 and FC3 and the size is almost 300GB!

Some of the largest subfolders:
ā€¢ Mods @ 169GB
ā€¢ CoreMods @ 105GB
ā€¢ Bazar @ 16GB

Is this normal?!?

Three years later and my DCS folder is about 500GB, soā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m currently at 483GB.

Recently picked up a 2TB HD where the sim now resides. A bit overkill but Iā€™m futureproofed and plan to add Falcon 5 when it comes out. :grin:

2 Likes

My Il-2 folder is almost 100GB, but Cliffs of Dover is under 20GB I think even with Tobruk.
Maybe Fortresses and Focke wulfs or whatever itā€™s called will finally push it over that!

DCS is the only program Iā€™ve EVER had that went over 200GB even with games like Arma 3 modded to the hilt. It then also blew past 300 and 400 like nothing! Those terrains are massive. Planes are like 1-3GB on average and the core game is largely static in size.

1 Like

366GB for me and I donā€™t have the Syria or Sinai mapsā€¦

Mods: 199GB
Core Mods: 106GB

There is a lot of fat to trim if I need to free up space:

3 Likes

557GBā€¦ but i got almost everythingā€¦

2 Likes