HP Reverb Redux

Have you noticed whether you can see the bottom of the LCD displays when you are wearing it? It is weird, because I saw the lines that were the bottom of the displays one time, but havenā€™t seen them since. I think it might have been before I adjusted itā€¦I donā€™t have it crammed tight on my face. Some users have reported being able to see the bottom of the displays though. I generally wear small glasses when Iā€™m playing, so I have a bit more distance between my eyes and the lenses just due to having the band a bit looser. I canā€™t wait to get those prescription insertsā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve not noticed them, and will try not to now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, Iā€™ve not tried IL-2 BoX - will do now. Forgot!

Ah yes, HOTAS bindings caused this (cough)

It is clear enough now that some of the textures look a bit low res. Great sim though, as a really nice framerate, so feels very smooth.

Beep beep.

5 Likes

Iā€™m swamped with flying at workā€¦but as soon as I have a few days off (3 more days)ā€¦we need to get some of us together and play Iron Wolf. I bought it in the Steam saleā€¦ :ship:

1 Like

I guess most VR games are built with low res in mind and compensates for it.
I donā€™t think a high resolution will add anything to Superhot or Beat Saber, for instance.
But old geezers with deteriorating eyesight, who wants to read caution panels in vintage Swedish aircraft, will need those pixelsā€¦

6 Likes

I am sorry to say but the numbers are unfortunately misleading. Some time ago I made the same mistakes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While it is easy to get some variables like hor / ver resolution, the FOV values (essential for PPD calculations) provided by manufacturers are all sorts of non-comparable: some are horizontal, some diagonalā€¦

So when I made a comparison table, I decided to disregard officially published FOVs as well as user-measured FOVs (there are apps for that; though some users measure their wish rather than the reality :grinning:) and instead decided to use hor and ver FOVs rendered to the headset. So that is the maximum FOV sent to the screens. Now what is actually seen might be a different matter :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and other limitations apply too.

In short, look here for the results and methodology. I hope it helps.

Milan

5 Likes

So, this week I received a shipment with my old accessories (cable, controller). Interestingly it included my old, broken headset. This was for the better though, as my new headset was missing the earphones so I had to switch the ones from my old.

My first impression confirmed some of my initial impressions with the old Reverb. Subpar tracking, even with an overhead light, which include frequent ā€œmicro view shiftsā€ and tracking failures when looking down into the cockpit panels. Also the new headset was displaying severe chromatic aberration (red/blue shift) in the periphery. I am still wondering why I am apparently the only one that sees this, as this is very apparent.

And now the best part! Also this new unit has overheat blackouts after about 30 minutes of use :smiley:

I am now going to request a refund and be done with it. I am happy for you guys that can enjoy the Reverb, but I think this is overall a crappy headset (even if it would work).

1 Like

Sounds like you gave it a fair shake. I donā€™t blame you for reaching the ultimate frustration level with HP. Having gone through a bit of that with my first one, I can understand. That said, the Reverb is the best headset Iā€™ve ownedā€¦

Sorry to hear of your continued issues. Sometimes things just donā€™t work out despite our best intentions.

1 Like

I guess there are individual differences in the perception. I mean, for some the screen door effect was unbearable in the Rift CV1. I really had to look to see it. Others couldnā€™t unsee it after they was made aware of itā€¦
And, color perception can vary a lot.
Perhaps a bit like this picture of a shoe. Donā€™t know if thereā€™s any relevance to this case, but it is interestingā€¦

Also, jog my memory. Did you try the Reverb on another computer?

No, I have never tried it on another machine.

To me, chromatic aberration seems to be a lense issue. The picture basically looks like this outside the sweetspot (on two different headsets):

Obviously that relativizes a lot of the supposed clarity due to superior resolution. I have an IPD of 64, so should be right in the middle of what the Headset is designed for.

This, together with the awful tracking, basically disqualify the Reverb for me even if it was working.

1 Like

I also think some of us are less susceptible to visual acuity perceptions than others. Iā€™ve worn glasses all my life, so Iā€™m used to seeing frames, constrained field of view, and pupil swim and peripheral aberrations are just another day in the life. Just like some audiophiles are tuned to sound, some are just way more acutely aware of visual imperfections.

6 Likes

Yes. Iā€™m saying maybe something with your visual perception makes it more obvious to you. At least, it seems like there are many different perceptions of the same issues, as for instance with screen door effect. Itā€™s like when some people see more colors in the rainbow than others, for instance. Some people have better than 20/20 vision too.

Tracking issues and blackouts, on two headsetsā€¦
Have to make you wonder if itā€™s related to the PC, somehow.
Could the USB voltage be off?

Well, the blackouts are clearly heat related as putting the headset out of the window makes them go away.

Yeah, but couldnā€™t that be a voltage issue causing the heat buildup?
Just speculating, of course, but when both headsets have the same problem, the odds are itā€™s probably not the headset.

Ah, sorry to hear that @MBot :frowning:

A couple of things seem to come out of this for our small sample size:

• HP VR quality is not good, as it seems to be a lottery and thatā€™s not acceptable for the sort of money these devices are.

• VR experiences might have a degree of personal experience variation, more so than any other peripheral. It makes it almost impossible to recommend it to anyone else when our eyes/ears and even head shape can have a big impact on if it is effective or not. It can literally make you sick, which must be a first for a PC add on.

While I enjoy VR I donā€™t think it is for everyone and that Iā€™d never buy anything VR without the ability to get my money back easily.

2 Likes

There is no doubt about this. Any headset should have a money back return policy. Itā€™s really the only way to evaluate the sets out there to see which one works best for you. Gosh knows Iā€™ve been through a number of them thus farā€¦

2 Likes

Reminds me of DLP technology for projectors. Some people would never see the rainbow effect, but I saw it the first time I looked and it drove me crazy. Never could handle watching anything DLP.

3 Likes

The DLP I have now is so bright compared to the old one that I canā€™t go back. I just need to remember to look away from the screen prior to trying to stand up, move my head quickly or, sometimes, blink ā€¦

In other words I feel your pain!

Sometimes my Reverb gets stuck in 60hz mode. I can tell right away when it does this. Quick fix is to unplug/replug the USB. Anyone else experience this?