HP Reverb Redux

I wish I could try the two.

Reverb seems to have the better picture clarity and it has inside out tracking, which is a big plus for me.
Index has a physical IPD adjustment and better FoV.

2 Likes

Wear comfort of the headstrap and face bit would be factors for me as well

Almost impossible to judge without trying, though

1 Like

True, but Oculus HMD’s quickly gained a reputation for wear comfort for example, despite needing replacement for the face interface. These aren’t single users’ stories but came up again and again.

As far as I’ve read, the index takes a slight advantage in the comfort department. Is better resolution really such an all-overriding parameter that the Reverb edges out all competition?

Yeah man, me too. Preferably in my own usage setting, ie my own pit. Perhaps order both and send one back? Takes a bit of cash but that way you’d know for certain.

1 Like

A good point
perhaps one of the Mudspike crowd, who is a real world pilot and has access to a jet and owns a couple of these, could fly and visit us in person so that we could try them out
who might that be
who might that be
:thinking:

rhymes with “Peach-avi-narrator” :grin:

3 Likes

Edited for clarity

My primary issue with VR is not being able to see contacts as well as 2D and not being able to enjoy the scenery while flying. If you are not interested in flight simulations and mostly enjoy other types of games that don’t require seeing object detail at long distances, then all of the other deciding factors increase in importance. Many VR titles are excellent without distance clarity. Mission ISS comes to mind. But as a flight sim enthusiast, to pay a premium price and know that there is another product with better image quality would be almost as distracting as a fire ant in my jockstrap. That’s why I went with a Reverb. Fingers crossed that it won’t disappoint. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you look at the pics in the thread link above?
There’s a comparison of a boat, in VR, to a 4K screen
 The Reverb seems to be a league above the rest, in the visual detail and clarity department.

VR has several drawbacks.
But for me, they are outweighed by the advantages.

To each, their own
 As always :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s why I ordered a Reverb :laughing: and it should be showing up this afternoon. My comments were more directed at why a flight sim enthusiast would hold resolution above other considerations and why a Valve Index is pretty much off the radar screen. Sorry, should have been clearer.

2 Likes

Ah! Awesome! I need your feedback

I get it now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Man, can’t wait to hear what you think! :popcorn:

1 Like

Here is a nice video by Tyriel Wood showing some comparisons between the Odyssey +, Reverb, and Lenovo Explorer. I guess they are all WMR headsets

4 Likes

My Reverb appears to be in the FedEx cone of confusion.

1 Like

Yeah
 I called them and re-routed it to me.
Knew you wouldn’t mind.
You’re the best, @chipwich!
Thanks!

:wink:

2 Likes

The Reverb really stands out in that crowd.
The AC video really showed me that the Reverb is the one to get for simulations, where you need to see distant details. The picture looked a lot more ”calm”, as well.
There seems to be less contrast in the Reverb screens, but the other ones look like they have too much contrast

I kind of knew there wouldn’t be much of a contest, but it’s always interesting to see a comparison between headsets.

1 Like

I like the richness of the colors and blacks with the O+
I suppose that is a result of the OLED type screens. The LCD screens of the Reverb definitely feel a bit less bright overall, with a slightly more washed out looking color palette. Now if we could only get an OLED screen with Reverb resolution and a 4 or 6 camera inside out tracking scheme and we’d be in business. It is my understanding that WMR headsets are bound (currently) to the two camera tracking system that Microsoft software uses. It would be nice to see some progress on improving that.

2 Likes

Update.

Have been procrastinating installing this. Now with extra motivation :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Troll will love it! :grin:

2 Likes

I could really use a doorbell with a camera!
Good thinking, @chipwich! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

You need to LiveStream from your drone

1 Like

I was hoping to give some honeymoon feedback yesterday, but only saw this. FedEx and Comcast are competing for the no-show award of 2019.

1 Like