Hunter Killer

New sub movie with Gerard Butler. From the looks of the trailer, on a scale of Down Periscope to Hostile Waters, I’m betting this one will be a solid Battleship. The “hoo-yah” alone made me gag.

2 Likes

I think there is a bad movie quota to fill or something. Saw this trailer the other day at Ant Man 2 (recommended):

The bald guy is going to punch the giant shark, isn’t he?

1 Like

At least they didn’t make an alien invasion movie that made a mockery of your unit (the most decorated Marine battalion). I did two tours with 2/5 and literally never heard someone say RETREAT HELL!!!

Is it bad that I actually rather enjoy Battle: Los Angeles? I mean, for some reason I thought it had a kind of Generation Kill vibe going on.

Then again, I have to admit I rather enjoy seeing LA getting destroyed in all these movies too…

3 Likes

I mean at least they used some real Marines as extras, but they tried a little too hard with the oorah and retreat hell every 30 seconds. Oorah.

1 Like

2:23 long trailer and zero shipmates heard? Fake.

2 Likes

Interesting… I’m not going to lie, when they mentioned and showed the “Local Navigator” in the trailer, I had this very tiny glimmer of hope that it would be Sean Connery lol

1 Like

From the producers for Olympus has Fallen? Oh good god no…

2 Likes

>MRW

3 Likes

The “S”-word has come up in discussions with submariners I know. This is their reaction any time us skimmer types would tell stories of being shipmated (NSFW, language):

1 Like

I feel like I just saw the movie by watching that trailer. I don’t know if I need to see the filler parts in between those cuts.

Who thought Gerard Butler just acting in a room was a good idea (besides Gerard Butler)?

1 Like

THIS! IS! THE ARCTIC!

That crowd.

1 Like

Yeah…I think the USMC owns the copyright on “Oorah”…so @Gunnyhighway should be seeing some royalty checks coming in.

In the fleet used to use “Arrrrgh!”

When I was CO of NMTC I used Hoozah! (What the Union Soldiers and Sailors yelled during the Civil War…as a CO it is important to have a idiosyncrasy or two.)

Having served on a submarine as a Midn 1/c (and have the Boomer Pin to prove it), going into battle with a DSRV attached…really, seriously? Let’s forget that it probably limits you to maybe 15 kts for safety and 20 kts for drag…all the turbulence around that thing is going to make some noise…might as well call the movie “Hunter (was too noisy and was) Killed”

1 Like

Well…I guess they thought a big enough share would be too hard to jump.

I think that was actually an Advanced Seal Delivery System on top, which I don’t believe is actually in use any more either…

1 Like

Is getting “shipmated” the equivalent of being “devil dogged”?

1 Like

Precisely the same thing.

1 Like

Ok, because you only get devil dogged with extreme sarcasm or you are getting your ass chewed by the company guns or somebody like that.

I had a Skipper that could/would say “shipmate” in two ways. One way meant you had just done well, were in his favor. The other way meant quite the opposite, to some degree, and there was a slight pause between ship and mate.

The only time I got the second was when I was reenlisting a sailor on the bridge, and had forgotten to bring a pen to sign the paperwork.

As the Skipper is handing me his pen he says, “Here, let me help you out…ship mate.”

Ouch

1 Like

For me, it was usually being yelled from halfway across the mess decks or down a passageway, and was often in a heavy accent of a very distinctive national origin, and was always when I was busy doing my job.

2 Likes