I’m flying the Viper this weekend, for a change

I’m a fairly high-time Hornet fan, and prefer it wholly over any other module in the game. I find that the Hornet is very easy to fly, a bit harder to fight with, and very difficult to do both well, simultaneously. It’s that last 10% that’s still challenging and still brings me joy.

That said, I’ve owned the Viper for about 6 months or so with maybe 2-3 hours a month of flight time. I’ve always struggled with the HOTAS and display logic, and the ACM/dogfight radar modes are maddening for me. I have never had issues landing it though, despite being accustomed to controlled crashes onto a boat. We never clicked though, the Viper and I, which is odd as I live nearby to to Shaw AFB and watch rebuild jets flying from Lockheed Martin weekly from my desk at work.

So I’ve decided to take a short break from the Hornet, as I truly feel that my learning is “stalling”. I logged a solid few hours in the Viper today, starting on my A-A target range mission practicing radar modes and switchology. I did finally wrap my head around using the HMCS with both radar and NO RAD 9X’s, which is quite the level up.

I think I’ll tag into a few MP servers this weekend and see what it’s like on the shooter’s side of Fox-3 long range shots from the ionosphere :laughing:

Maybe, just maybe, this thing is alright.

1 Like

This thing is alright, Alright? :ok_hand:t3: :grin: I spent all day shooting tanks yesterday w Mavs. Last week I did A2A and learned to use the Enable switch. Its a lovely airplane, a true hot rod and truly multiple like the Bug. You shooting Aim 9s offbore yet?
Enjoy this journey then go back to the Bug and finish learning it. I find myself learning on YouTube. I have some favorite tutors. I like Tricker, Matt Wagner and Grim Reapers. They have good content. I make sure I watch the latest videos
So jealous you get to watch the Vipers taking off. I was supposed to move to AlUdied this month, but thats on hold for maybe a year.
Have fun!

3 Likes

Oh yes…figuring out JHMCS and high offbore was basically a requirement for me.

1 Like

I transitioned from the Hornet to the Viper when I got back into DCS beginning of the year. Playing with a group I was able to master all of the systems in a couple of weeks (with the caveat that in this current state we have very limited systems to work with). Once you realize the ICP and DED logic, the Viper has by far the easiest and most well organized avionics in DCS. The DGFT switch is pure magic, leaving everything you can possibly need in a dogfight in your hands.

I love how the TMS/SMS logic just works for all the systems, no matter if it’s AA FCR locks or AG TGP, just press forward to lock backwards to unlock and right/left for special modes. Once you get used to it, the Hornet feels super extra finicky.

The Viper is super fun to fly. The performance is great (if you know how to use it). The funny thing is that what the high performance and speed, at least in the sim world, actually makes fighting with it more strategic and timely. Because since you have to keep fast, you shouldn’t be trying to point the nose at the bandit no matter what. It’s super satisfying when you get it.

I recently took the Hornet for a few flights and, while my Carrier Skills disappeared, it is really easier to fly. The Viper feels more twitchy for formation flying and refueling, to a considerable degree. But also more satisfying.

But the lack of features sometimes makes me miss the Hornet. The HMD features, such as DL integration and AG modes, the IFF STP functions that makes it easier to send and receive Steerpoints with hotas commands, the Mark functions to mark multiple SMEs from a single Steerpoint and automate multiple ordinance drops in a single pass… The ground handling that still seems very weird… On the other hand, now that they are back making progress in it, it’s cool to be given a new toy to play with every week from EA patches… Actually this is a great time to transition to the F-16!

1 Like

I won’t ever transition away from the Hornet…until the A-6 comes out. My favorite flights are carrier-based mud moving missions. Anything carrier-based is a blast.

I absolutely look forward to the Viper moving further into EA and then release, the better JHMCS integration and HTS pod will be a riot.

3 Likes

I’m in the opposite situation.

I find the HOTAS logic, weapons employment, and overall workflow to be much easier and more to-the-point than the Hornet. I feel right at home and can do almost anything all through the HOTAS without fumbling around. The few things I can’t do all from the HOTAS are because ED hasn’t programmed them yet (glares at HARM POS modes).

But that feeling of “home” combined with the undeveloped features leaves me feeling a bit…bored.

The Hornet’s workflow has never made any sense to me coming from the Viper and the Hog, but I love the carrier aspect and the variety of weapons to choose from. Once I get some Cougar MFDs set up for less reliance on the mouse I feel like giving the Hornet another go.

2 Likes

FYI, This is covered in a Training Flight.

1 Like

I completely agree about the HOTAS. It’s far better than the one on the Hornet, not as good as the A-10Cs HOTAS but pretty close. In the Hornet I need to take my hands off my HOTAS far more often than I would like. Having three cougar MFDs makes it bearable but I feel much more at home with the Warthog’s and to a little lesser degree the Viper’s HOTAS.

What always brings me back to the Hornet though is carrier ops (when I am not flying the Tomcat of the carrier that is).