I7 8700k, Is it time to let go?

I don’t know, I gave up on OC’ing because it seemed to be a lot of effort for a lot of heat and power usage without any big boost in performance.

There’s an actually an article in PC Gamer about how we’re not seeing anymore “Crysis” moments because largely of the homogenization of gaming rigs and consoles. Why would a developer pour tens of millions (if not more) into a title that can only be run at max settings by the privileged few? Instead of creating jealousy amongst the masses that they can’t do it, they just design it around the mainstream.
Sure you can kick in a few things like VR or RT that will slow it down, but when the games run perfectly well and look great without those things, people are accepting.

So yeah, a 2600k and GTX1070 actually can run most things at good levels of detail even on current titles as a result. It’s not a bad thing, but it does mean there is less to be gained by investing in higher-end parts.

3 Likes

… When it comes to playing xbox games on a flat screen. Running DCS in VR is a whole other kettle of fish :wink:

2 Likes

I bet!

One day when I do upgrade from my trusty ol’ machine (or it becomes untrusty and gives up the ghost on me) I’m looking forward to checking out VR, but as of now I know it would be a mess.

So if you were to pick up something like Maico was thinking of, the Intel i7 5.0ghz 12700KF - is the idea of OCing it to sort of ignore that ‘boost’ mode, and just have it be running at 5.0 (or whatever you set it to) all the time?

OC takes a lot of testing and experimenting. If you do it over a while you will find whats a good OC thats stable. For me it was 4.9ghz. If you got lucky w a 8700k, you might get 5.2 out of it.

Want to thank all the contributions to this thread. You really opened my eyes to whats happening in the CPU market. I really see how AMD has taken the market by storm. Im going to have to wait. We are at a crossroads. Thank you All.

2 Likes

AMD CPUs are to be released on Sept 27th! There is no X3D. 7950X will sell for 699 USD.

1 Like

If you’re not doing heavy video editing, 3D artwork or simulations, I would not spend that money on all those cores. Better to go for the 7600X at roughly half the price and upgrade to a 3D cache CPU when that is available.

Resistance is crumbling…i want something now. Im leaning towards a 5800X3D. Now only 380USD

1 Like

Unless you already have an AMD AM4 motherboard I would not invest in that platform now. Especially if you like getting new toys often, that will be wasted money as there will be no new CPU models for that anymore.

Animated GIF

3 Likes

I have only recently upgraded from my old 2500k which I had overclocked to 4.8GHz. It really was able to keep up to a large degree and I only retired the system because it failed.

I chose a 12700k and in terms of overclocking, I’m not sure its worth it for the 12th gen chips. They basically overclock themselves (with a decent motherboard, of course) - my supposed 3.6GHz (or was it 3.2?) chip automatically boosts up to 5.1 or 5.2GHz when under load. Also, it can max out my dark rock pro 4 cooler when run full out. I think that unless you do something clever with water cooling then there really isn’t much thermal headroom for overclocking. I might play with it further down the line but out of the box all the easy wins have been done for me.

That’s my experience but I guess YMMV.

6 Likes

…yet.

I’ll wait for it a bit.

Edit: about six months it seems:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7950x3d-7900x3d-and-7800x3d-tipped-for-ces-2023-launch

3 Likes

I was about to post that and just saw @schurem 's sneaky edit.
@Maico looks like your ultimate flight sim CPU will come out in January.

2 Likes

Ninjas GIF

Ninja editor supreme, c’est moi!

3 Likes

Looks like I am due for an upgrade next year :crazy_face:

I’ll probably go for a 7950X3D or 7900X3D, RAM is gonna be expensive, I am thinking 128GB DDR5 :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

To the Hells, to the Yeah!

And here’s me thinking that I might upgrade from a 5800X to a 5800X3D when the prices come down LOL!

2 Likes

Well I’m already on an R9 5900X and I really appreciate the 12 cores for video editing …

1 Like

Cool. Ya, the 5800X3D looks like the sweet spot to max out my mobo gaming wise. Then I’ll just pick up a 4080 later this year and Bob’s your uncle. :wink:

3 Likes

Dont give advise to people like me. My secondary PC died. I was using it for tv and some games in cluding VR. I know this is old tech and DDR 4s last Hurra! but here it is. Most of the parts i had including the new case ive had for a year. It has replaced a x99x killer 1151 mobo from 2015.
Its now a 5800X3D w 32 Gb ram on a Asus board.

5 Likes

Congrats! Looks awesome! Love the Noctua cooler.

Ensure that your motherboard BIOS is new enough to benefit from the 3D v-cache though!

It’s a very similar setup to mine, just a bit more RGB and better looking! Oh and probably a much better motherboard!

I know you said not to advise but are you sure your GPU is not limited by being in the lower PCI-E slot? If it fits at all, I would try to mount it in the top PCI-E slot. Also better for the GPU cooler’s efficiency

2 Likes

Upgraded! 3080ti and that slim little card at the bottom. It holds 4 M.2 drives! I only have a 1Tb and a 500gb in there for now. The mobo has two 1tb M.2s.

5 Likes