IL-2 1946

36 went out only 1 and 1/2 left…

One of the unfortunate.

Home at last, but just barely.

Less than ten minutes of fuel left and almost not enough light to land safely.

Wheels

6 Likes

Heading Home.

Wheels

2 Likes

(Not my video.)

IL-2: 1946 - The First Wave | Nakajima B5N2

Video source if the embedded video doesn’t show for you.

https://youtu.be/eRY4i4hLFUc

Wheels

3 Likes

Ghost ship

Pilot bailed and it flew until it ran out of gas.

Wheels

3 Likes

IL2:1946 still looks pretty good after all these years.

4 Likes

The screenshot was taken on the 352nd Cross Channel map in HSFX 7.03. He took off from Rouen but this was off the in game map somewhere. Having outside views on while mission testing is the only way I could find him.

Wheels

Sure does…
I still remember the first IL-2 demo and how it evolved with shaders for water, etc.
And the way they did the forests…! That clever layering technique that made it look like a forest of individual trees.

Sigh…! :white_heart:

5 Likes

Wasn’t happy with Version 1 and Version 2 is already starting to seem wrong to me…

Version1

Version 1 from an aircraft view.
Plus all the extra flotsam and jetsam I have left laying around while I am making these types of things.

Version 2.

I do like the runway’s and taxiways on both versions but I am really not happy with the look of the parking areas on either version.

Wheels

1 Like

Here is the Final version.

It was designed to be a functioning Dogfight HomeBase for Player flown aircraft. It will work in that capacity for takeoff and landings quite well. It will also work with the AI for takeoffs if you use the taxi to takeoff option. Landings are much more problematic so I would fly AI aircraft to another airfield to land.

I just need to add a Control tower and some building to give it its final look.

Wheels

3 Likes

Was watching an IL-2 video earlier today and got a laugh out of the Noseart on the plane.

(Not my video.)
IL-2 1946: Me-262 Killers

Video source if the embedded video doesn’t show for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfPkpmTfZmo

Wheels

4 Likes

I suddenly feel like I need to up my carrier ops game…

3 Likes

Low level parafrag attack.

Was just testing how well it would work with the AI before I spent a lot of time adding targets to the airfield.

Wheels

5 Likes

Just came across those B-25 parafrag screenshots again and I forgot to mention that you need to make sure not to have the planes fly in the line astern formation or any formation where any of the planes flight path can overlap one of the others planes flight path. The planes follow each other too closely and they will fly into the falling parachute bombs and destroy themselves. So far the line abreast formation was the only one that never had a problem with one of the planes hitting the parafrag bombs dropped by one of the other aircraft.

Wheels

3 Likes

Found these old screenshots from a quick mission I flew long ago. Still one of my most improbable flights.
Triple Play Mission4Today › Downloads › Triple Play

Wheels

3 Likes

Dead Stick Under Fire

Wheels

2 Likes

He-111 Undead

from 2006.

For those that might not see the embedded video.

https://youtu.be/Q09D-aGLQ5w

Wheels

1 Like

Home base in sight…

This AI plane flew all the way from Roeun to Dieppe toTangmere beat up like that and just after this screenshot was taken it ran out of gas and the other three fans quit turning. Two airfields in sight and I fully expected it had a great shot of making one of the runways. But no the silly AI had to glide all over the place and find the nearest set of Oleg trees to crash into and explode.
insanity

Wheels

7 Likes

I remember custom skins on static/stationary aircraft being requested for years and it is a shame to me that now that it and so many other things that are part of the game now yet so many Players have moved on to other time diversions never to see them.

I show you custom skins on static/stationary aircraft.

I found the skins at M4T quite some time ago.
“8” Ball 7th PRS: Mission4Today › Skins Downloads › "8" Ball 7th PRS

“Dottie” P-38L Photo Recon: Mission4Today › Skins Downloads › "Dottie" P-38L Photo Recon

Wheels

2 Likes

This is such a good deal on steam at the moment. Is it worth a punt? Will it run alright on modern systems or should I just get one of the newer il2 sims? I’m on the fence still and dont really want to learn a new sim because I love DCS so much but for a couple of quid this seems like a huge selection of planes and stuff to do…

If you treat it like a limited run TV series it’s definitely worth it. It comes with a few linear static campaigns that are very well written. Enjoy the ride for a month and never go back. My guess is that it will encourage you to jump into the new IL2.

3 Likes