IL-2 Great Battles Dev News

The Tucano would be fun to fly. Well, at least we will get a taste of flying it when the A-29 is released for DCS.

1 Like

New Dev update today with WiP shots of the P-39 -

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page-5#entry508214

3 Likes

I thought the '39 was further along, so I am a bit disappointed. I was a Big Cobra flyer back when IL2 was my thing. I look forward to it more than anything. In the meanwhile I fly 109s.

I had a go at two Laggs on my own in the Hs-129. WHAT A BLAST! I got killed but I believe that with some practice it is totally doable. The Duck is awesome.
This sim is great fun.

Dev. Diary 171 (September 15) and a Tease by Jason

Developer Diary 171

The diary itself is mostly about the upcoming Yak-7b. The discussion which followed pondered whether release was imminent or would need to wait for the P-39 and A-20. They obviously have a full plate and let’s remember that the new Career is structurally finished and is being “filled with data” as I believe Han termed it.

What is interesting is how Jason seemed to have a little fun at our expense with a post penned in the 171 Discussion thread with some “straight talk”.

Time for a little straight talk. We are likely not to have another major update until December guys. It’s crunch time for us. Big big push to finish the remaining items and content. Some items are behind schedule and we need to put the nose to the grindstone now that vacations are out of the way. There will be much testing from mid-October through December. The Beta testers will be busy and their work never more important. We will of course try to show the progress of certain features and new enhancements in DDs. There is one new thing I am excited about that I hope goes to plan that once I have it will make some videos. The Yak-7, A-20 and P-39 all entered the FM shop (that wasn’t the plan) at the same time so they are to release about the same time.

Keep watching and flying and spreading the word while we work to finish Kuban.

Jason

1 Like

Oh and Jason? I know you drop by from time to time. You stated later in the same thread that you had never heard of the GUI sound bug in Multiplayer. Let me assure you as a fan and former tester that the bug is real. I have only heard it on the TAW server. Usually it is just the same sounds one hears in the opening GUI screen including music if the player has music enabled. A different noise often heard inflight sounds like artillery being loaded, fired and the shell casing ejected. Requiem described it as the sound of being hit in Rise of Flight.

OK - I’m sure you will all have received the 1C newsletter today and news of the new planes and sale - and as an official glutton for punishment, I am willing to part with £20(ish) for BoM. Just cos I like the Pe-2 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Here’s the latest newsletter info for anyone not subscribed:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/page-5#entry518221

5 Likes

Where can you buy the BOM sale version? Steam has it at 39.99 still
Also if I get it from another source will it work with my steam instal of BOS?

Found where to buy, I would like to incorporate it into BOS if thats possible with a steam BOS and a digital download from the 1C site

1 Like

Won’t happen. You can’t get a Steam key for products bought on the 1C store. Unless it’s for BoS and you were a Kickstarter pledger.

Right - got the BoM standard and the Yak-1B add-on plane. I wouldn’t mind flying the Ju-52 (whilst humming the Where Eagles Dare tune
) but I’m not having any 3rd Reich junk in my hangar! Not in a combat sim, anyway - I do fly one in FSX.

2 Likes

You’d buy it at the 777 store and it’ll work with the Steam version you have.

You don’t get a Steam key to download it from there, as the account you sign into when you start BoS just needs to be the same one you buy BoM on the 777 store with. There is nothing extra to download as it is already downloaded and just needed to be unlocked. @Brix was technically correct about the steam key, but it can be integrated if bought from the two stores.

Link to store with offer here: https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-moscow/hi

1 Like

And since BoX is so much fun, I would say it is Weeeeellll worth that

I have it now. Starting the game in steam now has BOM Listed below BOS cheers of to fly an I16

2 Likes

The I16 is AMAZING in VR

2 Likes

Yes and a real killer, I started the I16 campaign, those 111’s never stood a chance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Il-2 BoX definitely deserves more mentioning on this site. The series developed very well and turned into a fantastic game that is truly a modern successor of the old Il-2. I have been playing it a lot lately and am having a great time.

5 Likes

I wish they would go back and update ROF for VR, WWI is perfect for VR (currently). Fights are very close range. Probably not going to happen, since they are a really small team. Sorry, don’t mean to derail the topic.

3 Likes

No worries, you’re just voicing again a sentiment that’s been thrown around a lot- especially as of late.
I think it’s easy to understand the hesitation from a small company to embark in a pretty cumbersome update with no actual certainty of economic return

As much as I like my fellow simmers I know for a fact that if 100 people say “OMG, if [developer] makes [feature/plane/add-on] IMMA BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!” then less than 20 will actually put their money were their mouth was
 (I may or may not be guilty of this
 CIGd6 )

Sad but true.
So- I’ll stand shoulder to shoulder with 777 on this and support whatever decision they take. I am a very happy customer.

1 Like

I think 777 is already working an a lot of excellent additions. With the release of the remaining aircraft by the end of the year (and the recent announcement of the collectors La-5FN and Bf 109 G-6), Battle of Kuban is shaping up very nicely (the map looks great too). Overall, with the solid selection of aircraft and the available maps, I think the series provides a good cross-section of the eastern front air combat 1941-43. I am also very much looking forward to the new career mode to be released later this year, which I hope will bring some much needed historical context to the game. I really hope they can capture the feeling of the epic air battles over the Kuban.

And of course next year will see the series advance to Battle of Midway, which I am extremely exited about.

2 Likes

I’ve had many “blown away” moments since getting the Oculus. Seeing Kuban for the first time was the biggest thus far. Its the lighting I think. There’s none of the improbable contrasts in color or shadow that I see in Brand X. I’ve played with friends on servers with 85 players, 20 of whom are all cranking up and departing from the same field. Not a stutter. Not a hiccup. Never a crash. Well, plenty of metal against metal but no game crashes. And flight characteristics that seem nuts on.

They are not going to update RoF. There just isn’t the possibility to get a return on their investment in people and time. I do think that an IL2:WWI is likely some day.

(And might I add that “IL2:WWI” would be the stupidest title to a historical flight sim ever.)

2 Likes