IL-2 Series: Help Me Understand

If I understand it correctly, the new generation of the IL-2 Series is considered Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow, and Kuban. These theaters can be flown as standalones or integrated as a single package. The upcoming Battle of Bodenplatte will be part of the series. It seems that if yo purchase through Steam, you must buy Battle of Stalingrad before being able to purchase any of the other theaters. Is that accurate?

Depending on what planes, like the P-40, I want to fly I would have to purchase a premium edition of a theater or I can purchase the plane separately.

Now, I have Cliffs of Dover, which is part of the IL-2 series but not compatible with the new generation,because it is part of a different series. Because of this it cannot be integrated with Stalingrad, Moscow, etc. correct?

I’m thinking about getting back into WWII simulation but Dover is showing its age compared to the newer series. I also want to fly planes like the Mustang, Spit, and Jug. That said, Bodenplatte should do the job but I would have to dish out extra to fly the P-40 or P-39, yes?

Help me understand.
Thanks,

–T

1 Like

Thats it pretty well summed up :slight_smile:
IL2 CLOD now has the Blitz update which is standalone and will be getting VR support at some point in the future.

1 Like

You seem to have a good understanding already Trevor, you got it exactly right. So, if you are not interested all that much in the Eastern Front you should look to buy directly rather than through Steam. All the “Battles” are good very good though.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies…

@Cib - That’s good to know about VR. It’s in my future somewhere; I’m just waiting for the dust to settle a bit more before I make my move.

@PaulRix - So, the key is to buy direct. I’ve watched several Youtube videos and read a few reviews and I definitely get the impression that the “Battles” are indeed pretty good. Summer is only about three months away, so I think I will take the plnge with Kuban.

Cheers,

–T

I think Kuban is a good place to start just because it is the most visually interesting. I am about two weeks of a German Bf-109 Career flying out of Kerch and am having the best time I have had yet with the series.

4 Likes

Hey guys,

While we’re here, are there any good WWII or Battle series resources you can recommend?
I’ve been checking out https://www.youtube.com/user/RequiemBoS/featured. The Internet is a big space so I’m asking here before I go on a Google hunt.

Thanks,

–T