Sorry for the late post.

2 minutes to touchdown on the moon!

5 Likes

it landed and transmits a signal :rocket: :new_moon_with_face: :partying_face:

4 Likes

Yep, seems like it worked. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m conflicted.

I really like and applaud what SpaceX appear to be doing, but in the back of my mind - This is business not altruism (i.e. research/science for the benefit of all humanity).

3 Likes

SpaceX only launched the thing. IM and NASA are responsible for the lander. So this is only half commercial.

2 Likes

NASA only stuck some instruments on it. They hitched a ride with like $150m in experiments.
IM is the main impetus as that lander cost a lot more than $300m.

3 Likes

Fair point. So it is mostly a commercial mission.

1 Like

So as exciting as it is, it sounds like mission failure because the lander either fell over landing on uneven ground or landed too fast and broke a landing leg.

IM CEO says they’re having trouble communicating with the probe, I guess they’re trying to work out what, if anything, they can salvage from the mission!

3 Likes

I already suspected that when they landed. If the landing had been fully successful then they would have posted pictures very quickly.

2 Likes

Odysseus captured this image approximately 35 seconds after pitching over during its approach to the landing site. The camera is on the starboard aft-side of the lander in this phase.

5 Likes