It's almost here....(Ultra-Wide monitor)

She’ll be fine - you won’t be able to see her due to the wall of bright LEDs? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll let you know soon.

I just fired up DCS and have all the settings on maximum except grass, trees, and (preload radius?) are all set at about 75% to the right. It looks fantastic.

Interestingly, I had GSync set in my NVidia control panel…and DCS did not like it - I was getting fluid frames, then stutters. I turned of GSync in the Nvidia panel and am running a solid and fluid 60FPS with no hiccups.

These are full size screen captures, but reduced JPG quality to keep the file size somewhat small…

2 Likes

Can a wall of bright LEDs stop a frying pan?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Great lookin’ shots Beach!

Your performance is looking good too …

This is what blows me away about 4K screens … you don’t seem to have to worry about much performance degradation coming from say a 1080p screen! Plus I don’t think you need as much Anti Aliasing due to the higher resolution.

For example, my old monitor was an ultrawide running at 2560 x 1080 = 2.8 million pixels. My new monitor is running at 3840 x 2160 = 8.3 million pixels. That’s 3 times more pixels and my GTX 1070 does’t seem to care! :smiley: It’s incredible!

I still absolutely love my 60" 4K! :kissing_heart:

I bought the similar monitor, Acer Predator. Loved it.
Then I bought Oculus… and almost stopped using the Predator :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like X-Plane didn’t like GSync either…turning it off gave me much better framerates. It could be something with my driver talking to the monitor or something (or my GTX 1080…probably something)…

Yeah, I’m in and out of my Oculus depending on what I’m working on. Generally, for articles (both for PC Pilot and this site) I use 2D gaming because the screens come out better. Although I haven’t dabbled in the whole Mirror thing, which could cause me to go under the hood even more frequently.

Hadn’t thought of that…perhaps I should dial mine back…I just kept all the settings I had, so I could probably realize some performance gains by doing just that.

So I gave it a brief whirl tonight. This is most sliders to the right or one notch of all the way to the right.

ORBX Jackson Hole area and the demanding TFDi 717 was marginal…dipping down into the upper teens a points. I think it was mostly due to the crappy weather and many cloud layers that Active Sky was drawing though. Once I switched to a preset weather my FPS went up to the mid 20s (flyable).

Loaded Seattle - Boeing Field and it was horrible…probably 10-14 FPS…but it’s always been that way there. There is some object or objects in that scenery that kill my FPS.

Headed over to the coast and ORBX Bowerman Field (KHQM) which is also on top of the ORBX PNE region and no matter what the weather was, I was getting solid FPS of 35 to 40…very flyable and very smooth.

I’m sure with some hunting and tweaking I could realize some gains, but for a first blush look, I was very happy with P3D v4 and the widescreen resolution.

1 Like

Man…Arma 3 is delicious and runs really nicely. No problems with framerates…

1 Like

Looks great but watch your FOV in ARMA Beach. I think the default for an ultrawide monitor is about 85 degrees which is too wide and not optimal for spotting contacts. When I had my ultrawide I’d bring the FOV in to 70 degrees (even less if you can take it) with this utility …

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21179

1 Like

Wow, I haven’t been in ARMA in a long while but those look amazing. Need to try 3 and the OH-6.

1 Like

Had a Samsung 34” 21:9 before I got the Rift.
It was awesome! But, VR was just too cool, and the 34” thingy got in the way…
But it was definitely the best monitor I have ever used.

But then again, once upon a time, I did my flightsimming on a 14” CRT… That was fun too. :wink:

3 Likes

Good to know…I’ll check out my settings…!

ETS looks great…! As usual, whenever one gets a new graphics card or hardware, you go through your library and realize (like I didn’t already know) how many quality games you have that you are just lacking the time to play…!

1 Like

Another in my library that I’ve never played - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Had to download a tiny EXE mod that allows for ultra-wide settings, and another little file that changes the horrific HDR lighting to something a wee-bit more sane. Looks like a fun game for what it is…

TOH ?

Oh, sorry…Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising…

Here’s a game I’ll probably never find the time to sit down and learn…wow it looks crazy complicated. I’d be a horrible General. But on the wide-screen monitor, I feel like I’d at least look like a great strategic player.

Give it a shot Beach. I was in the same boat a year or so ago, but CMANO looks more intimidating than it is once you figure out a few systems.

4 Likes