It's here.....! (and other VR thoughts)

So…Beach… Tried reaching for something that’s not there, yet…? :wink:
I have. I even tried to use my hand to shield the sun, in DCS!

One observation, what with the common use of over-sampling, is that it sort of gets lost at how hard we are driving up the PC requirements on titles we play here.

A HD display, say 1920x1080 would be called 1080p and would be typical.

A Rift/Vive default native resolution is 2160x1200 at 90Hz, which is 1080×1200 per eye but stretched across ~110 degree field of view.

In-between frame interpolation stuff like ATW/ASW/Reprojection at least allows 45 fps to be dropped down to rather than always a pure solid 90 fps.

A 4k PC monitor is about $450 with a default resolution of 3840x2160.

Pixel Density / Oversampling set to 2 is a resolution of 4320x2200 (!). That is a lot of pixels.

When the version 2 headsets arrive then people will already have the GPU’s to drive them, basically just because we are using pixel density as a ‘power move’ form of anti-aliasing. It’s like the 4k+ sweet spot can then be oversampled some more.

It doesn’t seem that long ago I was happy to run FSX at 20fps at 1680x1050 with autogen set to medium. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah…I actually started to put my phone on top of the Razbam Metro glareshield…LOL…funny stuff…

1 Like

This @fearlessfrog guy knows maths.

2 Likes

It’s all fun till you bank hard, and reach for the canopy frame handle while you’re leaning, and it turns out the be the tail of your cat on the book shelf above your desk…

or worse, nothing at all, and you just lean right out of your chair.

5 Likes

Does anyone know if you can VR multi-crew in either the Albatros or Gazelle?

Shouldn’t be any reason why you couldn’t

Here is something really warped. Ya’ll will laugh (or cry) over this.

Tomorrow I’m flying to Wichita, Kansas commercially to pick up our new company jet (another Citation Ultra). It has been at the Cessna factory for a few months getting a major modification done to it where they cut out the narrow door and put in a nice big clamshell door. It isn’t a cheap (or quick) process. So I’ve never seen this plane, never flown it before (but it is an Ultra…so it will fly similarly to all the others), and I should be super excited about going out there to get it (and I am)…but I’m also a bit sad that I won’t be able to stay up late tonight to mess around with my Rift.

So to recap…I’m a little bit sad that I can’t fly my fake airplane in a small set of dark ski goggles and instead I get to take a cool flight on an MD-88 to Wichita to pick up a new multi-million dollar jet…

4 Likes

And even more sad, is that I completely understand and know where you are coming from. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It does have this thingy…which will be new to me…but the primary navigation is a good ole’ Universal UNS-1, which I can program in my sleep…

Yeah, that’s pretty messed up. Would trade places with you any day. Taking my daughters to gymnastics in the morning. OK, some of the moms are hot, but not nearly as hot as a new Citation.

2 Likes

They both sound expensive.

1 Like

No kidding, and after watching your Garmin GTN 750 video, I strolled over to Flight1 avionics shop to see what it would cost to mount that in my Chieftain. It will set you back $65! Gouging us Prepar3D pilots for sure.

LOL at being sad to fly real plane instead of VR plane…

BTW if you guys like the GTN-750 in real life, the Flight 1 version for FSX or P3D is really good.

I liked it so much in FSX that when I moved to P3D I missed it and paid the $20 upgrade cost for the P3D version and it’s been well worth it. They keep it updated with each new version of P3D.

Or, when you pop the canopy on your virtual F-5E and lean out over the cockpit sill on your right, and quickly lean over to look over the left…only to realize you’re sitting next to a wall on that side… I thought I had killed my Rift.

you guys are awesome :smiley:

Wait!?! What…? A$20 Flight1 GTN750 FSX->P3D upgrade?

Why did I never spot that? I moved to P3D a while back and re-bought the GTN750 at considerable expense. Dammit.

Or is the upgrade thing new?

Hmm I’m guessing the upgrade thing might be new?

I remember the GTN-750 being one of the original reasons I was holding off on P3D, and then when I did finally move over the $20 upgrade option was there which made it much easier, they have the same upgrade option for their awesome B200 Super King Air which I took advantage of as well.

I’d like to know as well…this would be amazing.

Ok this may seem like a daft question.

But what is it like when or if you eject? Can anyone describe it for me please because I’m intrigued.