James Webb Space Telescope

Saw this and thought I’d share. The image of NGC 4907 is spectacular!

https://youtu.be/pTvbKRjOEHM

2 Likes

Uhmm… are you sure?

I am fairly certain that Webb isn’t even aligned yet.

I would also expect them to look quite different, those pics look like they are from Hubble.

Edit: also if you look at other videos by that channel I have some additional doubts.

Edit2: the pics still look nice though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think that they have finished telescope setup yet. I think (I could be wrong) that at the current point in the configuration phase, they couldn’t generate an image like that. Not yet.

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

1 Like

Thanks for the correction. I didn’t look very closely, just auto-posted. :grin:

2 Likes

First image is here!

Image description

You can keep up with the images as they come in here,
https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages

11 Likes

This is amazing in full res:

Incredibly beautiful.

And of course the spectra of an exoplanet, this to me is just unbelievably exciting:

I am really looking forward to seeing more.

9 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Got myself a t-shirt (and a hoodie) :smiley:

10 Likes

Did anyone else here think when they first heard about this years and years ago that it was called the Jack Webb telescope and wonder WTF NASA was doing with that name?

Or was it just me thinking they wanted to interrogate space?
“Just the facts, M87.”

Never heard of Jack Webb, so no.

I did however think “when will they finally stop naming stuff after people”.

2 Likes

Well Dragnet was quite a few years ago now, and was probably not very well known outside the US.

“Just the facts, ma’am” - Dragnet, circa 1967.

You’re better than this @B12. Don’t leave, take a few days and have a breather mate. Nobody here wants you too go and leave entirely.

I hope you are ok, pm me if you need to yell at someone. Happy to listen.

8 Likes

I don’t think we can all agree on that.

I think if you dropped that first paragraph of your post and just used the second, you would have made a good point without insulting anyone.

2 Likes

Guys can we please drop the personal attacks. Its awful and absolutely not welcome here.

7 Likes

I agree with @Victork2 but I’ll drop the please.

I have been a nice little moderator up until now, but make no mistake, the next person who continues this line of personal insults will be shown the door.

7 Likes

Personal attacks may be open and honest, but we can’t allow this forum to be a part of slander.

To be clear, you said you had recieved terrible, terrible news.

Roger that.

This sort of thing has been happening since humans walked upright. Is it just me, though, in feeling as if such episodes have become a little more common. It might be simply that I am approaching that age where my peers (and I :scream:?) are growing more curmudgeonly. Or it’s tied to the pandemic or recent politics. Who knows? Who cares?

Back to the thread. My favorite Webb image thus far…

1 Like

You mean “favorite image jokingly attributed to it” of course. :wink:

1 Like

How could something so delicious be fake!?