Just Flight / Black Square Steam Gauge Overhaul series

In searching for an interesting aircraft to fly for the Christmas 2022 trip, I discovered the JF Steam Gauge Overhaul series, currently released for the Caravan and in development for the King Air. I was hoping that our resident King Air 350 expert, @Chaz, or any former KA pilots, would have some comments on the conversion, but suppose that will have to wait until release. It does look promising, although I expect some tweaks to the default aircraft’s FM are also necessary to win everyone over.

Chaz reviews the MSFS default King Air 350 and details how it could be better.

3 Likes

Just watching the JF videos brought back a lot of memories. It’s been awhile since I flew the King Air…11 years now. Where does the time go?

I would have preferred a B200 with the large Sperry ADI but this looks really well done.

3 Likes

Hey Paul, so far Black Square appears to be developing around default aircraft. Given the relatively steep price, it will be interesting how well their study level conversions do and what type of future projects they take on. I’ll probably get the KA first and if I like it, may get the Caravan.

2 Likes

Wow that’s very cool. I have not flown the steam gauge/EFIS KA350- just the Pro Line 21 equipped version. My only steam gauge 350 time is in X-Plane’s 350 by AirfoilLabs. :nerd_face: Perhaps @Scoop has some steam gauge KA350 time?

But how much of the airplane is still not functional? I remember making that video when MSFS was first released and some 75% of the switches and levers were not functional or not working correctly. Aside from that, this upgraded panel will at least look very nice in MSFS.

I’ve been very busy lately. Haven’t gamed in about 3 months. Lots going on in the background (good stuff). Just busy adulting. Which I’ll probably go into more detail in the where are you photo thread.

2 Likes

One thing for sure is that they really need to solve the (lack of) prop drag issue. Throwing out the gear doesn’t seem to have much effect either. Having a floaty turboprop is no fun, regardless of how well the systems are modeled. I haven’t flown a King Air IRL, but have ridden in and jumped out of :laughing: plenty of them. My memory is that those props have tons of drag when flat.

Not to start a tit for tat, but I just downloaded the XP12 demo and took the default C90 for some pattern work. Now that’s the King Air I know and love.

2 Likes

sadly not. I have pro line 21 and Steam B200, and pro line B350

2 Likes

I hope they do the KA justice. I flew a rattly old 200 in the Reserves. The generals never wanted to fly in it. But it was a Cadillac and a great plane to get breakfast…cough, cough…I mean conduct training in! :grin:

Edit: I do find the MSFS props to be pretty damned slippery. Kinda deprives them of one of their defining characteristics.

3 Likes

Check out the default C90 in the XP12 demo. It’s much better than I remember. Sound is good too.

3 Likes

Yeah, there are just some things that X-plane does better, though Ive always been a MSFSer.

1 Like