Kerbal Space Program

Getting ready for the first trip to Mun.

SRB’s dropped, burning liquid to circularise at LKO.

LKO stage separated, Trans-Munar Injection burn complete.

Mun high orbit / capture.

Mun low orbit.

Lander decoupled.

Down at the surface - woohoo!

Approaching the return vehicle. It was at this point I realised I couldn’t figure out how to get the monopropellant to work.

Docking using the main engine only was a pain, but we got there. It was time to transfer all the science to the return vehicles science container. I left the lander in a 45km x 45 km orbit for future missions - just need to bring a scientist to reset the research equipment.

EVA into the return vehicle…service module, if you like.

Back home we go! Trans-Kerbin Injection burn.

I set a 55km periapsis for a gentle aerobrake and used the rest of my fuel for an apoapsis-lowering burn. It still took 5 orbits before the aerobrake took me down fully…I was a bit too conservative with the initial periapsis, I think.

Reentry flames.

Good chutes! I should have kept some fuel to adjust the final landing site to daytime - alas, next time.

Jeb looks surprised that I managed to get him home.

Not a bad haul…next up in the research ladder, struts and fuel lines! Yay!

5 Likes

Hit R (you’ll get a green light on your ADI) and then hit the docking icon in the bottom right.

1 Like

I designed a little early tech SSTO which is mostly recoverable. She takes about 4.5 tons to Low Kerbin Orbit and comes back with a reasonable percentage of costs recovered.

Sorry about the potato pictures, I’m running KSP on very low settings on the non-gaming laptop.

Up, up you go, you magnificent flying rooster!

Aeroshell jettisoned together with the jettisonable tail fins - about to circularise.

Success!

Letting the test payload loose.

Instead of a decoupler, I have a docking port on the nose…arguably I could safely deorbit something attached to that, although that would require refuelling in orbit a bit: the parachutes are just enough to slow down for a safe landing of the empty launch vehicle, but extra weight would tip the scales unless that’s countered with some propulsive braking before touchdown.

The stabilising fins for the return trip exposed, together with the control stack (HECS core, stabiliser, battery etc.).

Coming back down. Not too shabby for a first try, we’re on the right peninsula.

Slowing down to supersonic speeds. Kerbal Space Center visible on the tip of the land mass…we’ll be a few km’s short and slightly to the side, but we take it.

Drogue chutes safely deployed.

And there’s the full umbrella. The chutes slow us down just below 8m/s (the structural impact limit of the engine bell) as long as we’re less than 500m above sea level.

Plonk!

Basically you only lose the aeroshell halves and the bottom fins (and their decouplers), which is acceptable - launch cost after recovery should be less than 10k credits.

It’s not perfect, but it will do. I used to design unique launch vehicles for each mission, but this time around I think I’ll just design generic launch vehicles for generic tonnages (5t, 10t etc.) as tech allows…then I only need to design a specific mission vehicle each time and only need to satisfy delta-V requirements from LKO rather than from ground level.

3 Likes

Well, I’m decidedly rusty with KSP. I tried to get straight into setting up a decent ongoing Mun science operation with refuelling tugs and soforth…but definitely didn’t do proper planning or considered my current currency status with orbital rendez-vousing.

The good news is, I have a new space station with a couple of Kerbals orbiting the Mun, a Mun-Kerbin orbital tug (which hauled the station to Low Mun Orbit and returned to LKO) and about 9t of fuel hauled up to LKO for the next round of moves.

The bad news is…

Neither of the kerbals I took to the Mun orbit (who were supposed to go pick up the vacant Mun lander) are Pilots…so they are currently station keeping next to the lander, without the ability to jump in and dock it for refuelling.

They are low on maneuvering fuel.

The 9t of fuel in orbit is also low on monopropellant and more crucially, out of battery power and in the dark because I forgot to extend the solar panels. It got to within 10m of the refuelling tug to fill’er up before running out of power.

The tug has power but is out of monopropellant and does not have any lights installed because I’m an idiot.

So…we have a lot of almost useful things in various orbits, which are basically entirely useless to me at present.

I love KSP :smiley:

6 Likes

Sounds like something you can salvage with an extra launch or two. I really need to get back into KSP.

2 Likes

It is totally salvageable!

Also, I refined the SSTO a bit and came up with a stranded pilot rescue variant. I’m pretty pleased with it.

Launch cost is just over 20,300 credits for LKO and a typical recovery from within ~30-100km of KSC gives me about 16,000 credits. You only lose the fairing and some fins that tend to blow up on reentry. Very cost effective.

I found a bit of a “hack” which has given me the opportunity to brush up my orbital manoeuvres. I seem to be getting a lot of rescue kerbal from LKO -missions at the 2-star level. The financial metrics work well - you get 70k or so from completing the mission and the kerbal joins your crew, saving you 100k in hiring costs. Not bad when the launch cost after recovery is only 4k.

I might use this tactic to fill out the astronaut barracks and to get a bit of cash for space centre upgrades next while sorting out the issues with the Mun operation.

Yes, you should get back into it :grin:

2 Likes

Here’s the rescue vessel design. It’s nothing fancy and it certainly could be more elegant…but it does the job well.

Powered by one Skipper, she launches at about 1.65 TWR with a reduced fuel load. The two full tanks aren’t needed for the strander return variant. I actually just realised I can swap one of the Rockomax X200 long tanks to a fully fuelled medium one and gain a bit of Delta-V out of that…but I’ll need to test it out, the shorter vehicle might suffer from handling difficulties. Four fins at the bottom and two sets of RCS RV-105 thruster blocks complete the main hull features. Launch cost 20,378 credits.

At the top, inside the fairing, we have the trusty old Mk1 Lander Can, which is the lightest of the 1-kerbal pods.

There’s an Advanced Inline Stabiliser to provide torque, a HECS core, a couple of batteries and retractable solar panels and a few static solar panels for those idiot moments on the dark side of the terminator when I forget to press the solar panel action group button after making it to orbit. There’s also a few dome lights to make the vessel easy to see for EVAing kerbals.

At the top of the dome we have one drogue chute, a pair of powerful Illuminators for target spotting and four parachutes for the final descent phase.

Here she is on final approach to the target being rescued. Lights on, panels out, 300ish m/s of Delta-V left for the deorbit burn.

Another kerbal saved! Welcome to the team, Assnerd! Asnard, sorry.

Dropping back in. Sometimes the bottom fins burn off during reentry, but it doesn’t seem to damage the rest of the vehicle and the fins are cheap. An earlier design incorporated ejectable fins, but this works equally well and saves weight and money.

I should work on my landing accuracy, but this ballpark is fine for now. Eventually a rolling runway landing or something would be neat, but that comes with it’s own design challenges…this is less elegant but almost as cost effective.

The Island Recovery Team’s lunch won’t even have time get cold by they time they’ll have picked Buttgeek, I mean Asnard, up and returned to base.

16,306 credits from the recovery, making the net launch expense an acceptable 4,072 credits. I believe my reduced design (if it works) will further reduce the launch vehicle initial cost to 18,716, which will further improve the company bottom line.

4 Likes

Corrod had all but given up hope, sitting in his tin can, far above the world. Planet Kerbin was blue and there was nothing he could do. It was then when he saw the friendly headlights of the rescue ship, floating closer in the void.

The trip home was fiery but safe.

Apart from a dozen rescue missions, I’ve been doing a bit of tidy up work around Kerbin and Mun systems to get sorted for the next phase in the Space Program.

My various paid jobs contracts and a handful of science work in the Kerbin system (and one solar orbit probe) have taken me to the following position as far as the Space Program goes:

The Kerbal Space Center is starting to take shape. We have fully upgraded the runway, including paving the whole length of it despite Jeb’s cries that it takes all the excitement away from landings. The launch pad, tracking station and astronaut complex also have received the full upgrade treatment. Mission control has been upgraded enough to allow for flight planning and VAB and Spaceplane hangar both can take 255-part vessels, which is enough for my needs at this point.

As far as the science tree goes, I’ve been ticking off technology tiers quite evenly as science becomes available - I fast tracked a couple of things early on, but mostly now just looking to expand the parts available in general to refine the vehicle designs for the next phase of explosions. Expeditions! I said expeditions!

In terms of assets deployed, we have a couple of shottily assembled relay trios (around Kerbin and around Eve), an early space station in LKO and and another in low Mun orbit, a reusable Mun lander, a fuel tug and a Mun-Kerbin personnel ferry. Now, I’m not particularly happy with many of these assets, but we’ll get to that.

In terms of personnel, we’ve collected a good number of stranded Kerbals from orbit, which is helpful - however these chaps have largely been of the engineer / scientist persuasion, so we’re rather light on pilots. Only Jeb and Valentina actually know how to steer a spaceship, so we may need to do some extra hires for that in due course.

As far as administration strategies go, we have only adopted the Unpaid Research Program so far. I haven’t really looked into these.

I started this career late last year and had come up with a few early designs, which were quite limited due to the technology level. I’m trying to reuse assets as much as I can, so I’m still working with these older designs for now, but I’m pretty keen to upgrade them.

This is one of those assets - the Mun-Kerbin ferry. It has barely enough Delta-V for the job, but not really properly: it also has a few obvious flaws in design. Not enough lighting, too many fiddly fuel tanks to refill, solar panels that do not fold back in for aerobraking, etc. etc.

Anyway, I had accepted a tourist mission a long time ago and figured I should give Surigh and Urbles their tour. The returning launcher design lends itself well for a small personnel SSTO to take the tourists to the ferry for their trip. I also had to correct my previous mistake of not having a pilot kerbal in Mun orbit, so Valentina joined the tourists for the trip.

Yup that’ll do for a rendez-vous.

Docking and transferring excess fuel to the passenger ferry. The SSTO only requires a spoonful of fuel to drop back in, so most of it can go in the ferry.

Kerbin-Mun transition and docking with the Mun orbital station for some admin work. Bob and Bill were very happy to see Valentina, even if it meant having to deal with a couple of tourists onboard at the same time.

The next job, Kerbin side, was to refuel the fuel tug. I executed an entirely inordinate amount of faffing about and failing as part of this and it was all quite embarrassing…but we got there. I actually had to launch another booster up just to restart the darn thing, because I forgot to extend the solar panels - again. It was amusing to see the high-TWR, almost empty, launcher, run into reentry heat temperature issues during the ascent, though.

Turning on the lights on the fuel tug…sigh.

Bon voyage, fuel tug! The next step was to find the 9 tons of fuel I also left in orbit without electricity.

The heavy refueller SSTO headed back to the surface to be recovered. Never going to use that design again, it was painful…I’m looking forward to more powerful first stage engines so I can make simpler, more powerful designs.

Meanwhile, the fuel tug headed to the Mun to join the Mun orbital station. Again, it is unlikely I’ll ever use it again, I wasn’t happy with the design…but it’ll act as a fuel reservoir for lander missions, so it won’t go to waste.

Then it was time for Valentina to jump into the passenger ferry and go grab the Mun lander and bring it back to the station. Bob came along for the ride.

The Lander was refuelled and docked to the Mun orbital station. The Lander’s scientific equipment was reset in preparation for the next mission.

Valentina ate some snacks and proceeded to jump back in the lander and headed back to the surface for more adventures and science.

The descent burn was badly timed and wasteful, but we didn’t crash on landing, so that was something! Valentina went for a wee stroll, planted a flag and enjoyed the views.

The return to orbit was a bit exciting. I had forgotten that I really did a rather minimalist job with the delta-V margins on this one. I pretty much turned straight prograde after the legs retracted and did what I thought was a relatively efficient ascent, but only got to a 20km x 20km orbit with 5 units of fuel / oxidiser left.

The tourists came along while the HECS-controlled ferry descended to a lower orbit to grab the lander and bring it back up to the station.

The final docking included a bit of acrobatics as the station only has a docking port on each end, meaning a somersault was required on the station’s part to provide both ships a place to dock.

After that, it was time for Bill and the tourists to head back to Kerbin to return science experiments and to bring the tourists safely back to Kerbin’s surface.

It was here that I remembered why I wasn’t happy with the ferry design. I left most of the fuel at the Mun station, thinking it would be more useful there…but forgot that the ferry isn’t well suited for aerobraking (non-retractable solar panels) and now doesn’t have enough fuel reserves to come down to a reasonable LKO orbit for rendez vous. So…I’m currently doing what feels like a million 60km periapsis passes to get down safely enough for an SSTO rendez-vous.

I think from now on the ferry will stay in Mun orbit as a lander recovery vessel…until I get a better lander, at which point both the lander and ferry might head to Minmus where life is a bit easier.

6 Likes

Man…what a fantastic write up and chronology of your space program. I really enjoyed the analyses of your designs…

2 Likes

Can only agree with that!

1 Like

I’m glad you enjoyed it! My access to my gaming PC is kind of limited with the baby having taken over the office, so I’m limited to old games on my laptop…but I’m enjoying my return to KSP. :slight_smile:

It is a bit hilarious that I’ve got an absolute monster of a new PC in the room next door and yet here I am plugging away at stock KSP on minimum graphics :rofl: But a good game is a good game, and the graphics don’t bother me, to be honest. There’s a medium-term plan to get my gaming space back, but all in good time.

I launched a slightly modified refuelling SSTO and caught the ferry on it’s highly eccentric orbit for a refuel. I probably could have done without that extra launch, but the cheap launch cost and substantial fuel margin were attractive - and worth it, as the next steps weren’t anywhere near as stressful as they would have otherwise been.

I captured a nice low orbit with the ferry and hopped on the empty passenger SSTO that had been patiently waiting in LKO. Bill and Urbles hopped in the cabin and down the chute they went, back to the warm (very warm, momentarily!) embrace of Kerbin’s atmosphere.

After that, I had all the science and one tourist left in the ferry. The launch site crew took one of the almost-new rescue SSTOs, bolted a science recovery pod on top, and sent it on it’s merry way to pick up the remaining passenger and all the delicious science.

This was a very clean rendez-vous straight off launch, quite lovely.

And down we went. Surigh was remarkably calm, considering the lander pod is hardly designed for this sort of shenanigans…but the Skipper engine bell pointed downrange took the heat, like it always does, and the light show outside didn’t cause any harm.

Sweet, sweet science!

My first tech upgrade was the creatively named “Heavier Rocketry”. I am usually drawn towards the little fiddly fancy tech parts, but this time I’m trying to keep the Space Program moving with some structure…and that means upgrading the SSTO workhorse to deal with the inevitably heavier payloads that will come. Also, my gutless laptop doesn’t like complex designs with lots of parts…bigger engines mean fewer engines, so this is helpful.

I also got the seismometer and magnetometer tech, as these will make future science harvesting missions more efficient.

My last job of the evening was to send the refuelled ferry back to Mun orbit - chances are, she has left Kerbin for the last time. The current Mun lander really needs that pick up to the orbital station orbit, so there’s a use for her there…but I’m not doing that Kerbin return again without a ferry with proper aerobraking abilities, that was just painful.

7 Likes

Excellent @Bearhedge! I have been sorely tempted to relearn KSP. So many games so little free time! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can’t say it enough. KSP has been the BEST early adopter program / experience i have ever had. The continual and free content i received for backing it in its earliest days left me astounded. The company was beyond fair. Not something i think i will see very often or possibly ever again.

10 Likes

So I’m just sitting in my car on a long queue to get my brain tickled (COVID test - got a sniffle) and killing time.

I ventured into the in-game KSPedia. Oh wow.

I have been playing KSP like it was 5 years ago, I think. There are so many additional tools in the game now, this is amazing! Maneuver tools with transfer window timing tabs, the precision manoeuvre controls, all this good stuff that will deal with all the usual headaches with the manoeuvre node. This is amazing. I’m actually going to RTFM, this is gold.

3 Likes

I have a heavier launcher! 12 tons to orbit with the current design. Simple, flies well, plenty of margin. So much better than the early game designs.

The first job will be a science storage capsule mission to Mun orbit.

5 Likes

The 12-ton-to-LKO launch vehicle is a first iteration and will likely see some refinement - however, I have realised that designing good, pleasant-to-use vehicles in KSP for me isn’t about coming up with a design and then reducing it until it is as light as it can be. This was how I used to do it, however often that meant that the smallest mistake during a mission would mean that I had no way of recovering the mission.

Weight and mass ratios are obviously important…but once I get to the “reasonable” range (which might be 2x but not 5x or 10x the required delta-V / electricity / whatever), it’s better to look at the usability and resilience next.

• Does the delta-V buffer allow for a mis-tap of the Z key or a mismanaged rendezvous?
  • Are there static solar panels as insurance in case I forget to extend the main panels?
  • Does the RCS / SAS allow for reasonable control or does it take 30+ seconds to flip the vessel around for a burn?
  • Is the vehicle well lit for ease of use when not in the sun?
  • Does the vehicle have enough electricity to comfortably do multiple reorientations when not in the sun?
  • How is the TWR? Enough for the game to be fun or hyperrealistic with really long burns?

In the case of the 12T launch vehicle, the booster was built around a 12-ton inert payload (see the demonstration payload with 9t fuel tank + 6 x 0.5t NCS adapters below), with which the sealevel delta-V is 3,541 m/s (3,794 m/s in vacuum) and TWR at launchpad 1.85.

The heart of the vehicle includes enough torque for comfort, the drogue + parachute array and a lot more electricity than I need for a typical mission, even with the solar panels folded.

Note - I haven’t got static solar panels in this design, but as it only ever does one orbit (well, technically not even that, as it returns to KSP before completing a full orbit after going around the planet), there’s ample power for its mission.

The launch cost is circa 38k credits, depending on the shape and size of the fairing for the payload. A good reentry and recovery yields circa 29k credits. That results in a cost-to-orbit of 750 credits per ton of payload - a slightly better yield than the 4.5 ton launch vehicle at about 900 credits per ton.

At 43 parts, I’d still call the design fairly simple. i could reduce the part count, but I’d hit diminishing returns for time and effort…it works and runs on my PC and the launch costs are easy to cover from one-two star paid jobs. Good enuff!

4 Likes

The science return capsule trio left towards the Mun after being dropped to LKO by the 12-ton launcher.

I circularized at high Mun orbit before going for a classic Hohmann transfer orbit for an intercept with the station.

I hit a bit of an annoying snag (a game bug) here. My Mun station doesn’t have a whole lot of standard docking ports. The capsule return package does…but the plan was to undock the fuel tug first, attach the capsule return vehicle to the station, then dock the fuel tug onto that. Turns out, the docking ports between the fuel tug and the crew module of the station had fuzed together. Not great…and requires a manual registry fix, apparently…ain’t nobody got time for that.

Oh well, change of plan.

I left the science capsule truck parked up and took the passenger ferry vessel down to the lander on its low orbit with Bob onboard. Bob went for a stroll outside and reset the science equipment to ready the lander for the next trip down to the surface.

After the lander’s fuel tanks were refilled from the ferry’s larger reserves, it was time for Valentina to burn retrograde and head back down.

Her destination - The Canyons. I can honestly say that was a terrifying descent. The lander doesn’t have great TWR with its single engine and the required course correction inside the canyon to avoid a wall whilst still having a good amount of surface velocity was a decidely hairy undertaking.

Still, we made it. A cool landing site, definitely. Valentina ran the experiments, wrote her report, chose a few pretty rocks to bring back, planted a flag and boosted out of the Canyons.

Once the lander was established on a stable orbit, the passenger ferry came down for the usual pickup.

The next step was to go find the science return capsules. I took my time and did a leisurly join over a number of orbits. It’s easy on the delta-V budget and safer when down low: a poorly planned rendezvous can cause unscheduled lithobraking and catastrophic spacecraft reconfiguration when you fail to realise that someone moved a mountain between you and your orbital path. Don’t ask me how I know, I just know.

I refilled the lander’s tanks while waiting for the science capsule vehicle to float closer.

Then it was time for Valentina to take the lander over to the science capsules to offload the findings.

Uploading…10%…20%…30%…

Once uploaded, it was time to detach the pod. I brought three capsules - one trip down seems to fill up a capsule with science with one report left over, so I’ll have some reports to take home in other ways after these three have been spent, but that’s okay.

A pretty neat view of Kerbin, the lander-capsule vehicle combo, the passenger ferry and the first deployed science return capsule.

Once the capsule was deployed, Valentina drove the lander back over to the ferry so Bob could scrub clean the science equipment.

Bob reveled in his success after sorting out the science pods. We did point out to him that was kind of his only job, so it’s good he didn’t fail to deliver - but hey, it’s good he enjoys it. Once we come up with a concept of an orbital lab, he’ll have more to do.

Valentina then headed back towards the surface again, narrowly avoiding a crash with the science capture vessel on her way down. Please check your blind spot before changing lanes next time.

The ships staying in orbit were docked together in the meantime so I wouldn’t lose them so easily.

The return capsule probe fired up it’s systems, getting ready for the burn back for Kerbin.

The lander’s next trip was to the…eastern farside crater, I think. Something like that. A bit of a rushed descent, as I was going to run out of daylight in the depression before long.

I almost screwed the pooch on this one. Check out the electric charge. It was at 0…I ran out of juice. Luckily the engine has gimbal so I could realign the static solar panels and get some charge back. I got my reaction wheels back online before it was too late.

I don’t think I’ll ever be comfortable with the ground whizzing past so close before the burn, especially before the view spins 90 degrees so the sky is where it is supposed to be. This was especially bad as the crater rim was higher than the rest of the terrain. My landing burn took place right after the crest of the rim.

Another day, another landing, thought Valentina, the steely-eyed missile kerbal, as she planted a flag in the fading light.

Once Valentina was safely back in orbit, it was time for the science capsule to be fired off back towards Kerbin. The transfer was uneventful and I even remembered to retract the solar panel before the first dip into Kerbin’s atmosphere. I forgot the antenna out and that got fried but that doesn’t really matter, we have probe control and we’re not intending to send the science back over radio waves.

I extended the solar panel back out after landing to act as a sail on the journey back to KSP…I’m joking.

Not a bad haul of science.

I gave some thought to the next steps on the tech tree, and I decided on a bit of a stretch goal. I like big docking ports and I cannot lie. Less wobble, cleaner looking rockets, strong connections - all the good things.

It’s an end-game technology, though…so I’ll need to upgrade the R&D center and bring home quite a bit more science. That’s okay, we’ll get there.

6 Likes

Excellent! I am going to have to re-download KSP. Looks like you put a lot of thought into those designs. Very nice!

1 Like

@Fridge If you haven’t played it in a while, I do recommend it - there’s a lot of quality of life improvements that really make the stock game a lot less of a headache, I’m really stoked about that.

The sub-assembly option is fantastic and makes building more complex launch combos a breeze. You just design each part (such as the science return probe) separately and do a re-root onto a probe core to make them saveable as subassemblies. You can then plonk the subassemblies to the main vehicle. So good.

The precise manoeuvre node functions are also great - no more painfully trying to find an elusive view angle to get to the right node control.

It’s been a great way to kill time whilst the city is in COVID lockdown :grin:

1 Like

Yeah it is really great how they got all those features into the game that we previously needed mods for.

1 Like