Kerbal Space Program

Oh…I’ll find you mid air…and do some GTA V harness changerooo I will…

1 Like

But I’ll be in the well deck of the Khe Sahn, proceeding towards the exit in an orderly manner.

1 Like

Ooh, a big new update:

Kerbals are now polyglots! We are incredibly proud and excited to announce that Kerbal Space Program is now available in four more languages: Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish. This means that more people will be able to enjoy the Kerbal experience in their native tongue.

Each language was carefully localized so it keeps the humor and charm of the english version. Keyboard layouts, UI and textures were also modified to please local players of each region.

To give you an idea of the scope of this endeavour, we had to carefully revise all lines of code to start cataloging all the aspects that needed to be localized and addressed. We translated more than 95,000 words, created 456 images for textures and UI, prepared 684 slides for the KSPedia and everything was carefully revised by a team of more than twenty dedicated volunteers.

And that is not all, we are also including the integration of Asteroid Day mod into this update, which is now localized and its contracts are balanced for a career game play-through, too.

Additionally, for 1.3 we have added the Ambient Light Adjustment feature - a Boost value to the ambient light setting (similar to the highlighter boost slider). This one brightens the render engine settings to bring light into the darkness. Something that will come in handy if you like to capture and share ingame footage.

1 Like

Another sim/game I desperately want to play but no time to do so…(along with Elite)…looks like a cool update!

1.3 sounds like a good version to play again.
…as soon as the most essential mods are updated of course.

The Making History Expansion is out today. The mission builder is super easy to use yet allows for plenty of complex actions to make cool missions. If you don’t want to build missions you can play some premade ones or community made ones, but I’m not sure it’s worth $15 if you don’t want to use the mission builder. but if you did get it before April '13 I believe you get all the expansions for free!

2 Likes

Cool stuff. I would be eligible for the free upgrade seeing as I have been playing KSP for 7 years now!
I’m not sure I would use the editor though. I kind of like the sandbox approach.

the trailer is finally out

4 Likes

Well visited the shop re-downloaded KSP and low and behold, I get the free upgrade for the expansion. Yay.

KSP has been the most rewarding Early access game I have ever purchased.

Here is to a new career.

3 Likes

I think I was a month or so too late to get it for free, so I will buy it.
KSP is one of the best games I have ever played. I will definitely play another career.
…I am a mod addict though so it will take a while to get all of them updated again. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah I hear you @Aginor I browsed the 1.41 mods and most of the major ones need to be updated. Soon though.

1 Like

I’m exactly the same - not that I particularly mind. In due course I’ll probably cave in and get the expansion. Such an amazing game.

1 Like

All this Starship business got me excited about rockets again.

I was also a bit hesitant to disappear into the office to fly more of the Xmas trek over the weekend (I’ve been doing that a bit lately)…so I installed KSP on my meager laptop as that meant being a bit less of a social recluse. It turns out KSP runs on it as long as I keep the setting sliders down.

It’s like coming home after many years, hehe. I started a new career mode, all stock - figured I’d learn about all these new things they’ve added to the base game since I’ve played last. Comm networks, reentry heating and so on.

I got a few flights done over the weekend.

I designed a mostly SRB-powered tourist vessel with 4 of those Mercury-style capsules and a Sputnik-probe core at the top. It takes 4 tourists up to Kerbin orbit and back on the cheap, with no need for a pilot to taking seats. A crude contraption but good enough to earn the cash for the early game.

I managed to put together enough cash and science with the tourism business and short science hops that a manned Minmus visit was viable.

Mun is closer, but the delta-V difference for orbit capture is small…and landing on Minmus is a lot easier, in particular making use of the large frozen seas at equatorial latitudes. It doesn’t take a skilled rocketeer to aim at those, so I succeeded at the expedition despite being rusty.

I always find the early game rocket designs to be challenging in terms of the shape: you don’t have fairings yet so there’s a desire to stack everything vertically to make the rocket behave well during the ascent through Kerbin’s atmosphere…but by the time you’ve stacked the capsule, the payload container with your batteries etc., the science container, a fuel tank and an engine, you’re looking at a tall and narrow design, prone to tipping during landing.

In the end I gave in and placed two engines on jettisonable pods each side of the main lander core to make the design less tower-like. It worked out okay.

The Minmus mission went reasonably well, I could still mostly remember how to use the node planner and which burns to use on these simple moon missions. The return back to Minmus orbit from the surface was pretty standard - start burning towards 090 almost straight after takeoff until a low apoapsis just over the mountains is reached, then coast until apoapsis and burn prograde until circular.

I also mostly remembered how to time the burn to return to Kerbin - I timed it at max retrograde and dropped the Kerbin periapsis to about 50km (20km inside the atmosphere) for an aerobrake. I didn’t bring the delta-V to bring the apoapsis down with burns so that was the only means of return.

It took 4 orbits around Kerbin to get the apoapsis down from Minmus heights, but I was glad I didn’t dip the periapsis deeper into the atmosphere, as my ablator shield went down from 200 to 20 before we were done with the reentry inferno for the last time…I know the heat shield doesn’t blow up straight away after the ablator is gone, but it was still uncomfortable! The amount of reentry heat took me by surprise - I need to think a bit more carefully about return heat by the time I start reaching beyond Kerbin’s SOI.

In past games reentry heat wasn’t a thing yet so I just roared through the low, thick, atmosphere at stupid speeds when coming back from other bodies…looks like this time we need to either bring fuel for braking or use some gravity assist trickery to slow down. Judging from the Minmus return, interplanetary return speeds will be such that I’ll run out of ablator before orbit capture if I’m not careful.

Should be fun…and I can take my laptop with on the NY holiday trip (unlike the full sim pit) so there’s that too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m really hoping KSP 2 has cooperative multiplayer. It would be really fun to build a space station with my kids each contributing and make our way to the outer planets…

4 Likes

That would be fantastic - also it would be very cool to have a Mudspike Space Program.

It would be quite funny, you log in and you never know what carnage others have caused while you were away…someone stranded Jeb on Duna so it’s all hands on deck on a rescue mission again, scratch whatever plans you had…

2 Likes

gravity1

1 Like

When my grandkids were very little I’d build one (this was the original KSP), crank up the speakers, and let them count down and hit Space-Bar. They seemed to like that even more than I’d imagined. Something about it…

1 Like

I always let my kids count down. They love it!

Me and my son Kai used to spend hours laying next to each other on the couch when he was 5 or 6 years old building a space station in the iPad game Space Agency. One day he fired it up when I wasn’t around and crashed a rocket into our station while he was trying to dock a module and he destroyed the whole thing. He felt so sad and guilty…it was so adorable and tragic… :rofl:

2 Likes