KMUD - Mudspike Flight Test Air/Sea/Space Port progress

Shall I call you Wynona?

2 Likes

maybe the runway needs some smoothing…

Hmm…what is this…a pretty good pseudo IFLOLS…! Many thanks to @ranchoth at the X-Plane.ORG site for helping me out. He kindly parted out a piece of his Sea Control Ship and let me mess around with his IFLOLS tower.

At this point, I’ve got it hovering below the terrain such that it appears to be on top of the temporary ATC tower trailer. The yellow ball doesn’t really move up and down reference the datum…but the ball changes color based on your above (green), on (yellow), or below (red) glidepath… I’m trying to tweak it to get it to take you to the 3-wire…and I think I’m pretty close. Still lots of work to do on KMUD…but she’s coming along!

And why do I want a KMUD anyway? Well…I just like screwing around with stuff. Even fictional planes are a lot of fun to “test”. This secret footage was smuggled out of KMUD a few hours ago… :wink:

BeachAV8R

4 Likes

I take it the arresting wires are non functional Beach?

Wheels

No…the arresting cables don’t work. It would be kind of cool to use whatever magic that X-Plane uses to make the carrier landing area “sticky”. I say that because you don’t even have to have a tailhook to trap on the carrier…all you have to do is hit the landing area.

Maybe in X-Plane 11…

1 Like

Thanks. It did look like you were nailing the landing when I watched the video but when the arresting gear didn’t catch the tailhook I started to wonder if it was a tailhook or an arresting cable issue.

Wheels

Yeah…from what I hear…(which doesn’t necessarily make it right)…the arresting logic is hard wired into the sim by Austin. I tried taking the carrier object from the X-Plane default library and placing it…but it doesn’t work (ie - placed carriers cannot catch airplanes). The reason I was trying that was that I was thinking I could place a carrier UNDER the airport…so that the deck area was level with the KMUD landing area, then you can make the object invisible… So I thought I’d be able to trick the scenery into catching the airplane. LOL… Didn’t work.

Ingenious attempt though. :sunglasses:

I tried something similar with IL-2 and the stationary runways. In the mod versions you can drive a Jeep but you can not go over the bridges. The Jeep “flight” model is a P-38 so the bridge thinks it is a plane and you go BOOM. My thought was that I could place a stationary runway on the water, one of the invisible ones, and place some road texture on it creating the illusion of a road. Lol didn’t work because as soon as I hit the waterline the jeep either exploded, if I was going real fast, or just sank.

Wheels

LOL…that’s a good attempt too. I’ll have to wait for someone smarter to come along that wants to do that…

Why not put the carrier on the lake? :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think that’ll only work for the version using the payware scenery. The default one has a dry lakebed.

Had a new arrival at KMUD (I’m gonna need to build some bigger hangars apparently…:wink: )

2 Likes

More progress today - got some new taxiway lines drawn onto the main ramp where the larger aircraft will park…

Added blastpad markings to the NOLF runway ends…

Started placing more scenery on the NOLF transient ramp…

Found some nice light poles that looked good and were functional…also added a helipad to the NOLF and taxiway lights to the landing area…

This took some time. I had to hand place each light…well, then I was able to duplicate the string…but these are omni-directional white / red lights for the outline of the carrier landing area. I don’t think a real carrier has quite as many…but…shrug… Same thing will happen for the far end of the field (two landing areas for two different wind directions)…

Far end of the field done too…

Also placed and duplicated the smaller/GA section of the main ramp with tiedown "T"s…

I have no idea if I’m doing any of this right. I’m sure there are way more efficient and proper ways to do all this stuff. But it is fun building my own airport…

I guess I should try to figure out drawing ATC paths and stuff so that I can get some AI taxing around and doing something as well perhaps…

BeachAV8R

5 Likes

I always find the fun is in the building, no matter how “inefficient” my techniques. :slight_smile:

Wheels

2 Likes

KMUD is looking pretty spectacular, @BeachAV8R! You’ve got all your permits filed…right?!?

1 Like

Permits? Do we look like the FAA? we don’t got no permits, we don’t need no permits, we ain’t got to show you no permits.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

@Navynuke99 - I’ve got Governor McCrory working on my EPA permits. I’m sure they will go smoothly…

Crew chief’s log: Drained several fuel trucks, drove to the nearest Sam’s Club, and filled trucks with assorted soft drinks to dump on the runway to produce desired “stick” factor for simulated carrier operations…

2 Likes