Landing ARMA 3 Helicopters Without Exploding

Armed Assault 3 is antiquated.

But it’s still the beat game at what it does. What can replace it, that offers the same range of capabilities and depth of features?

1 Like

Nothing even remotely comes close ATM

4 Likes

It’s a jack of all trades, master of none thing. What does it do well really?

These days you have to pick and choose what facets of ArmA you want to replace, and fortunately there are plenty of choices that do things way better than ArmA!

You want an infantry or CQB sim? … Squad, Ground Branch, Ready or Not …

You want a jet or helo sim? DCS, X-Plane …

You want a tank sim? Not too sure about this but Steel Beasts maybe? …

I guess I relate to ARMA. It’s an ecosystem I (mostly) understand. The “mostly” disclaimer explains the opening post. It’s not a flight simulator. And it is certainly not a milsim. But it tells its stories well and still has the ability to scare the bejeezus out of me on occasion.

2 Likes

I believe I have more hours playing Arma than perhaps anything other than X-Plane and FSX at this point.

3 Likes

Right. And the fact that it is a Jack of all trades is the whole point. I would argue it is the master of combined arms combat.

It’s the only game where a fighter pilot can take off, perform CAS for an armor platoon, get shot down and pull the handle, and then an SF team can perform CSAR.

The only time I’ve found it to be janky is CQB in buildings. The collision models are a bit janky in that context.

4 Likes

will BeachAV8R, post:27, topic:13703"]
I believe I have more hours playing Arma
[/quote]

Between Arma and X3 terran conflict/albion prelude I have Thousands of hours invested. I’m still not great at either, but I’ve always had fun. They aren’t perfect but they do everything well enough.

The choices you can make in arma and the sandboxes you create are something I never will find replaced

1 Like

This is key isnt it. Name another game that you can get your butt shot down in a cobra, be a SAR priority, recovered, rearmed and geared up and back in the damn fight. All by other people who take it seriously WHILE having fun.
Honestly some of my best gaming memories are in arma.

Sat on a roof on altis on overwatch for ages (hours) waiting for a jeep to roll by and report it. No comms until visual on the trucks

Report it, choppers come in about 4 mins later and evaporated it. Set down the blackhawk next to me and my spotter and lifted us out. Darts across the road and collects ANOTHER 2 snipers who we didnt know were there.

Land and debrief (laughin and joking about how long it took) realise other sniper team had 6 kills from watching our back. Stayed on mission, never took credit just watched our back the WHOLE time. It sounds silly but that is a serious time commitment to the mission. Epic.

Then more than likely a jeep glitched through the floor and killed everyone because its arma but you only remember the awesome stuff

1 Like

You guys are getting this grumpy old man stoked about playing ArmA3 again! :slight_smile: I’m going to have to reinstall it. It really is a nice sandbox where we can play with all our toys.

Initially this thread reminded me of the time you couldn’t even board a multiplayer team through the rear loading door of a Chinook without it exploding! :smiley:

1 Like

Oh its still like that. I mean, its Arma. If it worked right all the time I doubt id ever get a kill :upside_down_face:

@Victork2 that was…EPIC! Now I can’t wait to play again. Although I will NEVER be able to replicate an experience like THAT.

Let’s not forget DayZ. Or do. I get it. The engine behind ARMA was flexible enough that a user was able to do something with it that was totally outside core gameplay.

2 Likes

I always liked dayz. It was fun. But i stopped playing once i discovered better versions modded into Arma 3.

I cannot get enough ArmA. Especially in the jungles of 'nam.

That’s because ArmA actually models collision models of weapons. There’s an actual reason in ArmA to opt for shorter barrel lengths. For example, the Uzi’s addition to SOG PF has made it one of the best weapons you can take on a tunnel rat mission because of its size. The only thing better would be the MAC-10, but that suffers at range in a way the Uzi doesn’t.

Real Virtuality still needs to be sent to go live on a nice farm upstate, but it definitely models that. When it comes to infantry combat, ArmA’s the go to for many reasons. Here’s to Enfusion in the next iteration.

2 Likes

Indeed! But it’s much more handicapping than in real life because it’s hard to intuit a video game. Newer shooters model this better by flipping the gun up or down as necessary.

Stairs in Arma are always a mess as well. Minor issues, that’s all.

It feels like one of those measures of realism we saw in the 90s, at times. We understand what they’re doing buuuuut it’s real janky.

1 Like

Reminds me of something I used to hate about ArmA … EVERYONE would walk around with their gun up in firing position. Ya, let’s just walk around talking to eachother while pointing our rifles in eachother’s faces LOL! Ok, time to go on patrol … guns up everyone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I never do that because there’s a significant stamina penalty, with gun in low ready or relaxed it’s much better. The stamina system in Arma is really well developed to promote realism IMO.

1 Like

Hey bud you can squad up with us.

just switch to binos and you can run like a madman. :slight_smile:

2 Likes