Le Mans Ultimate

:eyes:
This might get me in!!!

3 Likes

Nice find. So VR capability exists within the game, but it isn’t “official”, yet. Will try this later today.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks. If memory serves, rF2 had a reversed loading screen when it was under VR development as well.

1 Like

I gave VR in LMU a quick try and it works, but like most, have to jump through a few hoops. When SteamVR loads, I see the reversed LMU logo, but don’t see the LMU game window, so have to tilt up my headset (Q3) to work through all menus. So driving is the only thing that I can do at the moment. Certainly better than no VR. No access to any HUD features in the car, like pit menu or game dialog. I tried enabling MSAA, because there are some jaggies, but it made the image worse if anything.

Still trying to figure out how to get OpenXR configured instead of Steam. Working my way through this thread time permitting.

2 Likes

I don’t want to be a grammar nazi, and it is clear what you mean, but I do want to save some fruitless googling:

OpenVR = SteamVR’s original API
OpenXR = the new API (OpenXR Toolkit, OpenComposite, Monado, etc)

1 Like

Correct away young man. I need all the help I can get! TBH, I hadn’t thought much about either in a while, due to how easy it was to get OXR tool kit working with DCS and MFS 2020.

Edit: got my Quest 3 working with OpenXR via the OpenComposite Launcher. There is still no menu or HUD, but OpenXR Toolkit works. Go here, download the launcher, and set OpenXR to replace the SteamVR runtime system wide. If you have the OpenXR Toolkit installed, it should pop-up the first time that you load LMU with the OpenXR runtime. I havn’t tweaked the settings yet. If someone has some recommended settings to improve the image quality, pls chime in.

This video has a good explanation of how to install OpenComposite Launcher and OpenXR Toolkit.

2 Likes

Patch is out. Quite hefty at 7.6GB, but there is a lot in it.

5 Likes

I’ve been hotlapping at Sebring in the GTP (LMDH) cars this week, so as to better enjoy the real race this weekend. I’ve tried the Caddi and Ferrari. In VR, the vibrations are so harsh that I had to adjust them down a bit. The settings are a bit hard to find, SETTINGS → CONTROLS → WHEEL & PEDALS → CALIBRATE → STEERING SETTINGS → last 4 entries.

The 499P is a beast. One has to go gently with the accelerator, even after the tires are well warmed. Dialing up TC only seem to make it angrier :rofl:

One thing that has been a PIA, is the AI tapping my rear in the last turn (big right-hand sweeper). I like to brake a little later in that turn, but apparently not late enough for the other LMDH cars. Getting nudged off track 3 laps in a row in the same exact spot becomes tiresome. And I know my pace isn’t that slow in P5. Turning down AI aggression to 25% didn’t make a difference. WIP I suppose.

The physics model is really growing on me. It is superb.

3 Likes

Ditto.

Haven’t tried the Caddi or the Pug yet, but you can be a ‘bit’ more aggressive with the loud pedal in the Porsche.

2 Likes

So an interesting detail I ran across recently. I was running into severe FFB vibration at times and thought my wheelbase was going bad or something was way off in my FFB settings. Then it dawned on me, this was occurring only after I spun and flatspotted the tires. So LMU is introducing strong vibration to simulate flatspotted tires. I guess in other racing sims, i really haven’t noticed the effects of flatspotted tires. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve definitely felt flatspotting vibration in other sims. Just maybe not as strong as rF2 or LMU. Doesn’t AC do this too?

1 Like

Well coincidentally I just upgraded my wheelbase to a stronger force and more detail. It could be the placebo effect/in my head, but definitely more pronounced in LMU than other titles. Regardless, love the FFB details in LMU.

1 Like

Did my first two GTE online races in LMU, with the Aston Martin GTE with fixed setup. Due to really slow qualifying times in Portimao I started from the very end of the grid. Looking at all the car bashing in front of me, I felt somewhat lucky to be kept out of this mess in the middle field, I have to admit. In both races I think I gained two places due to collecting dead cars.
While I lost some Driver Rating, I’m almost at Safety Rating 1 now, due to relative incident free racing… Definitely a plus when starting behind the pack.

6 Likes

FWIW I did another race this morning in LMP2. Some tech problem seemed to have prevented the majority of drivers from joining, so we drove around with … three cars in Spa.

After the qualification winner spun in Eau Rouge I gained first place, but was too cautious passing him, so third car took the lead on Kemmel straight. I managed to improve my lap times over the short race somewhat, so defended place 2 till the end.

Without many cars around, safety rating and driver rating went up quite a bit. Now I wonder if this race result will stand, giving me a completely unwarranted podium in my stats :smiley:

3 Likes

Run out of luck with my streak on finished races this morning. A crash in the Porsches caught me off guard and cost me dearly.

Unlisted yt video:

5 Likes

Latest patch released today.

One of the most notable updates is the reduction in FFB. All of the GTE cars received a 36% decrease in FFB so you’ll need to increase the FFB in game and/or your wheel base software. The LMPs also received a reduction in FFB, but not as much. 0.7 to 14%

2 Likes