Leap Motion Controller for DCS/Oculus?

Hi all,

Has anyone succeeded in configuring Leap Motion/Orion for use with DCS? It works okay with Flight Simulator X, but would love it in DCS.

I see a lot of threads and posts in the ED forums regarding this , and have not seen a single post claiming success .

I stumbled across this video on Youtube which shows that the old Leap Motion tech maybe still has some use in DCS.

DCS and hand tracking: tutorial and review (Leap Motion)

Now, letā€™s see if I can get my hands on a cheap Leap Motion controllerā€¦

1 Like

That looked a whole lot more stable than it used toā€¦ Cool!

Yeah, I use an old leap motion like this.

Itā€™s got a lot less easy to use now the throttle and stick are ā€œgrabā€ enabled. Basically it will give priority to the VR controller over the physical hotas, so if youā€™ve got your cockpit set up with the controls in the ā€œrightā€ place then it can be unusable. Iā€™ve bugged it on the forums and asked for an option to disable the VR flight controls, but nothing yet.

Iā€™m using the leap motion with a wrapper to pretend to be Vive controllers in SteamVR, using SDrawā€™s fork of the Driver_Leap plugin:
Driver_Leap on Github

1 Like

Also - while you can ā€œpushā€ buttons, Iā€™ve bound left and right mouse to buttons on my stick. You basically point at the control you want and left or right click it. It sounds unintuitive, but when it works itā€™s way better and more direct than using the mouse. Some controls in some planes are too small or have the active areas in weird places, but theyā€™re getting better as the years go on.

The problem with just ā€œpushingā€ controls is you wonā€™t always get the motion (left or right click) that you expect. Not a problem for toggles, not good for dials.

Youā€™ll need the point and click action to select radio menu options at the very least.

I think this could be so much better if it had native leap interface rather than the wrapper pretending to be a Vive controllerā€¦

1 Like

Maybe the option to switch the Leap Motion controls on and off (by clicking a button on the HOTAS?) would provide a better working solution (as was already mentioned in the video).

I do not know whether that is possible.

Tonight I am picking up a cheap used Leap Motion Controller so I can start to experiment with it!

1 Like

Possibly - I havenā€™t tried it!

That sounds similar to the way I handled mouse interactions prior to getting VR, I think, and it was intuitive fairly quickly.
ā€œNormalā€ setting, mouse is a free-look control, with no ability to interface with the cockpit. ā€˜Middle Mouse Buttonā€™ engages ā€œClickable Cockpit Modeā€. That meant free look was no longer available, but knobs, switches and in particular doohickeys were manipulable.

1 Like

I see a new sensor has been released. I was going to buy it, but at Ā£139 decided Iā€™d wait for otherā€™s flight sim results - if anyone bothers now, with headset hand tracking now seeming to be the preferred alternative.

*Note which headset is used in the example photoā€™s :wink:

Not a ringing endorsement for their hand tracking (which Iā€™ve not yet tried)

1 Like

Interesting.
I got the LeapMotion sensor on a sale and tried it. It was really cool to see my hands in DCS, but the gestures didnā€™t work very well, especially when looking down in the cockpit. I guess the background got cluttered by legs, joystick, etc.
It worked really well when punching buttons on the up front controller in the F-16 and F-18 though. Problem was that the virtual hands continued to hit virtual switches when I held onto the HOTAS or used other physical controllers, so I couldnā€™t just use it for some parts of the cockpitā€¦

If you want to try it, Iā€™ll send it to you for free.

Thanks Troll, but that isnā€™t necessary - I have one myself. Iā€™ve had it for years. I bought one originally at normal price but wasnā€™t overly impressed at the time. This was quite early on when it had just become known. I returned it for a refund, but a couple of years later the stock was being sold off at silly low prices - probably when you got yours, too, so I thought Iā€™d pick one up again and just wait and see.

Iā€™ve watched quite a few videos of people testing the hand tracking with LM in DCS and did have a quick go for a short while, but had poor results. Since then itā€™s sat on my desk here, waiting for me to make more of an effort with it. As Iā€™m not flying much right now, itā€™s gathering dust! Just thought maybe the new one would up the ante. Iā€™ll wait and see this time, with the current price as it is.

1 Like

Ah! I see what you meant by ā€œtheir handtrackingā€ now. The headset, not LeapMotion :slight_smile:

1 Like

i was about to hit the buy button, but then I decided to wait too!.

I have the gen1 and in DCS I found it mind-blowing and disappointing at the same time!
When it works itā€™s an incredible feeling even if you donā€™t have the "hapticĀ£ feedback of touching a real object.
When it doesnā€™t work and you have to try the same gesture three time to have the desired action is a mess.

I think higher resolution and field of view could help a little, but most of all I think it will need a lot of more software work on DCS part. This usually requires 2 weeks (flight sim developer time = between 6 months and 3 years real time)!

Optionally therā€™s increasing support for OpenXr and OpenXr toolkit already recognize the hands well in leap motion. (you see the arm digital bones and not the fancy DCS pilot gloves) But I think youā€™ll need to remap all the gestures for DCSā€¦
Never tried itā€¦

2 Likes

It actually works very well in FSX and P3D with FlyInside. I donā€™t use it because I didnā€™t like the various gestures to control things and I often found my hardware (including my desk) was in the way when I reached out to press/flip things.

I remember back then (2016/17) we were all impressed with it and saying how in a couple of years everything would be so much better with hands in VR.