Learn to DCS Feat. Campaigns DLCs

Hey y’all!
I realize that most of the time- when I want to muck about in DCS I find myself doing the same few things but hardly pressing myself into actually learning something new- so here’s the question…

Is there any campaign that can be used to learn the various aircrafts in DCS with a decent depth?

I initially wanted to ask WWII warbirds, but hell- why not ask for every bird?

3 Likes

I’m guilty of not staying up to date on this: seems like, years ago now, when I started DCS, there wasn’t much - so I’ve never even looked at/for any accompanying tutorial mission sets (campaigns) since then.

Now, I HAVE thought about creating them: Day 1, start the engine. Day 2, taxi & takeoff, Day 3 comms & pattern work, etc. Lot of details left off there. But, man, that’s a lot of work. I’ll bet they would be somewhat popular too. Ask @Chuck_Owl “Guides” how much work it is then bump that up by maybe 2x, to include the updates when they change something. Grrr.

It’s on the back-burner when I finish my current scripting project, since I’ll have all the ‘skillz’ & tools in place by then.

So, to answer your question: I’ve no idea. But if there aren’t any there should be.

3 Likes

I mean I’m pretty sure the few RED Flag/Training campaigns do that, but I really feel that I lose a lot of content just because I feel so incapable with each module- what’s the point of buying a campaign that is going to wipe the floor with me from minute one, second 25?

2 Likes

I found that i never gave campains a try until i tried with nodules i was proficient with. It obviously featured helicopters but the odd ones i tried and failed because i was incompetent meant going and learning the steps needed to complete the mission. It worked for the viper and hornet and one of thesedays i will try and master the harrier

3 Likes

Like you, I have found it most enjoyable to fly in DCS when I learn an aircraft properly, in-depth.
For me, this has meant limiting my focus to specific airframes: first Mi-8, then Mirage 2000C. Those have become so engrained in my memory now that I might be ready to learn a thirs module in depth. Probably the F-14 or upcoming Mirage F1.

EDIT: This is not to say that I don’t own a whole load of other planes, from the I-16, Bf109 and MiG-15 to the F-14 and FC3, but in those I just do some occasional circtuis and dogfights. No deep systems study.

Both Mi-8 and Mirage 2000C have excellent ‘teaching’ campaigns included, as well as good DLC for when you’ve finished the included campaign.

For the Mirage, I am not sure how well the campaign has held up with the various changes to the module, but the Mirage 2000C’s included Caucasus campaign did a great job of slowly teaching you the module, especially when combined with the training missions.

I think you can read the change log for the engine, radar and ECM systems and then just get going on the campaign.
When you’re finished, you will have gradually built up an understanding of the Mirage’s systems and are ready to do the Red Flag campaign, then finally fly the PG mini-campaign. All Baltic Dragon content, great stuff.

For the Mi-8, the included campaign is just VFR nav and basic weapons employment, but the Oilfield DLC really focuses on some of the different navigation instruments, from Doppler to various radios and how they can be used. Also a lot of sling loading. I love it! Haven’t tried the other DLC campaigns for Mi-8 yet.

From what I have read so far, Maple Flag campaigns aren’t great.
The highest quality campaigns for DCS seem to be made by Baltic Dragon and Reflected, so you can’t go wrong with those.

3 Likes

I’ve only flown two or three campaigns that I felt were worth anything, the stock M2000 campaign and “Cage the Bear” for the F14. There are others that were also good but those two do exactly what you ask, slowly get you up to speed. The M2000 campaign (Baltic_Dragon) does this masterfully. That jet is simple. But the simplicity hides a real richness of capability. I thought I knew it all. But the campaign taught me a lot.

(Sorry, @Freak beat me to it :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

For me, a campaign isn’t just a teaching tool, but often also a motivator. I need to tank a harrier to progress, let’s learn how to do it. I need to learn to land a laden huey at the treeline, let’s get to it. A good campaign challenges and rewards doing difficult stuff. Some also teach, such as the mirage2k caucasus one or baltic dragon’s Iron flag for the hog.

6 Likes

Disco! Yeah, a thorough training syllabus set of missions is needed. Man, it would take me months to do one platform. Would anyone actually fork out $$.$$ for it though?

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m thinking again…

Something came to mind when I chewed on this idea a year or so ago: the interface (not sure what to call it) thing where the control is highlighted, then you “SPACEBAR” to continue…

I’d want the ability to repeat, say an AR training mission yet not have all that rig-a-ma-role there for subsequent flights. So, off the top of my head, you’d need two ‘paths’ in the code, one for ‘decorations’ and one without. Hmmm. Haven’t looked that deep into it…

3 Likes

Remember the A10c had those awesome certification missions? I cant remember if it was a campaign or a mod but they were amazing (edit* i say awesome to much)

1 Like

That did come to mind but it’s been so long I couldn’t recall the details. But yeah, IIRC, it was pretty complete.

2 Likes

I just interrupt to thank everyone for the information dropped here! :smiley: Brilliant!

1 Like

Guide maintenance is such a B-word. :smiley:

4 Likes

Maintenance is a lot of work. Which is why I will advertise this for you: Chuck's Guides | creating guides for flight simulators | Patreon

I also feel sorry for the campaign makers. I really don’t feel entitled at all to @Baltic_Dragon having to re-test and fix his entire campaign of 30+ hours of content just because I paid €8 for it 4 years ago. And then to imagine having to maintain 10 campaigns, with all the AI changes coming up.

There’s only so much time available for me to fly so besides buying campaigns, all I can do to support the makers is to gift the campaigns to friends

3 Likes

I remember back in the day using the F-15 Georgia campaign to understand how to fly it (not a lot of variety in flying the F-15C PvE, especially back then), and subsequently and much more painfully, finishing the F-18 Eastern Friendship campaign. That felt like a huge accomplishment, learning the Hornet on my own, and then being able to actually understand all the enemies and weapon employment strategies, but it was hard and time consuming, I felt lost for most of the time and I had to replay that damn 4-mission set infinitely (great little free campaign though).

If I could do it again I would have joined a server and started playing with others as soon as I could, that is a much better way to learn a new module, IMHO.

6 Likes

Campaigns are absolutely the best way to learn a module, IMHO.

Raven One for the Hornet (fly the book)

Fear the Bones for the Tomcat (fantastic)

Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney for the Mustang

Paradise Lost for the Huey (my favorite campaign). It cuts deep when you get that dear John letter LOL.

4 Likes

Agreed 100%!

Once I have the basics of T/O, Landing, A2A and AAR, I immediately find a campaign for a given module and dive in. If I read a briefing and find out I need to learn how to employ the AutoMagic CASE 13 Foul Weather Landing System, or drop a Bunker-Buster 9000 MAX I go watch a video, read a bit of manual, and fly the training mission for that weapon/system and then the next night I play the mission. Loads of fun, and keeps me focused and motivated to learn instead of skimming bits and pieces of the module with no structure.

3 Likes

Maybe your experience is different than mine since you’ve already been flying other modules for a long time. I’ll try going into a campaign with that mindset (probably do a thorough refamilizarization in the hornet with the Raven One campaigns) and see if it’s any different.

I reckon once you are used to the missions, weapon employment envelopes, enemy capabilities, flying a campaign with a new module should be more a matter of operating a new plane, and thus, work better as a learning tool.

2 Likes