Leatherneck F4U-1D Corsair

Looked great! :sunglasses: I snagged some screenies for those without the time to watch:

According to the dev that’s a long-haul Essex class, the associated carrier shipping with the F-4U.

This link, and then immediately going to the 10 hour 45 min mark should get you to the corsair stuff.

9 Likes

They talk about plans to build fighters adversaries AI units.

3 Likes

Thanks for linking. Looking forward to bringing that beast back to the boat.

Tangent: did anyone whom watched the excellent VTB display at the end of the stream notice that No 2 dropped out of the diamond at some point, and that they continued the full program without it? Wondering if it was a a loss of connectivity.

Nice flying @Panther!

2 Likes

Watching the video reminded me how much a joy it’s going to be trying to taxi and land the beast blind. The way I taxi now is basically like a blind person so hopefully not being able to see too much shouldn’t be an issue.

You can always simulate Joe the ammo guy sitting on your wing using external view :grinning:

I dont care much for DCS ww2, feel like il2 does it better, but this bird… I’d be mighty tempted!

3 Likes

Our number 3 had oculus runtime crash, then when trying to relaunch DCS failed to launch. So what would have been a few minutes and a maneuver or two missed, turned out to be several minutes after being forced to a system reboot.

We have several procedures in place for an issue, this one was “move on” due to fuel issues if we were to go into a hold. PS we don’t fly with unlimited fuel.

Thanks @chipwich

8 Likes

I’m starting to think,With a Late model F4U and now a confirmed Essex class CVN…Do you think The New FreeDCS WWII Map could be…Okinawa???

3 Likes

Since I read books about the Okinawa battle- just the name is enough to send a shiver down my spine…

2 Likes
3 Likes

Bunker Hill

Toured battlesites there and also trained in the jungle on the northern part of the island. Not a fun place. Shuri Castle impresses. There is some nice diving there, and a Orion beer headquarters. We also sank a AAV into the ocean near white beach. Don’t know if they fished her out or not.

2 Likes

Has there been any inkling of when this beauty may be available, 6 months, a year, maybe longer? Of course I can wait however long it may be, TF 5.0 just finally went into alpha the other day after what, 5 years? :smiley: I may have Corsairs and wildcats to play with soon enough, albeit in 2 very different sims and settings

If this works out, it means DCS is going to WW2 Pacific first. I sure hope it pans out!

1 Like

The Corsair has been one of my favorite birds since the the TV series in the 1970’s.

Wheels

4 Likes

Update from Leatherneck, mostly pertaining to the F4U:

http://leatherneck-sim.com/2019/12/22/christmas-update/

5 Likes

As Freddie Prinze used to say; Looking Good!

Wheels

That F-8J is also looking good!

5 Likes

From FB Page

17 Likes

“You caught the 12-wire.”

“Ah, cra–, wait what?”

7 Likes

Thought those vertical masts on the right side were laid horizontal during landing operations?

Wheels

3 Likes