Life sized Spitfire flight sim

Enstone where the folk I fly for used to be based is progressing nicely with its Spitfire simulator.

11 Likes

Glorious. How will the visuals be arranged? Big honking screen in front? A half-dome and projector?

Almost 270 degrees wrap around. It was originally using DCS but the cost is prohibitive. It is commercial, but only used occasionally so would run at a huge loss. It is being used to pay towards the next set of Spitfire 26b’s being built in the same hangar. The sim is in a hut inside the hangar to the right of this photo. Two Spit 26b’s are finished. One has been flying almost a year. The second has just been painted but can be seen in the photo in construction.

4 Likes

i think they are using four projectors. A massive pc.

Beautiful ScoopD. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Have a look at this one…
I wish I had the space for one!

1 Like

This is insane. They should let them use it for free as a promotion! Let the museum make a buck, while telling the punters they can buy this awesome sim for home use at www.digitalcombatsimulator.com. That’s how I would play it, were I in charge.

1 Like

Is there anyone on here who can put it to ED/DCS? This is an early view before the sim fuselage was covered. Taken standing behind the sim. The unfinished rivets can be seen. It used unwanted parts from the two Sptitfire builds. The plan is to make 12/20 Spitfires. An awesome formation. image

2 Likes

They are always looking for volunteers. Both the builds and the sim were done totally by volunteers. Spitfire Squadron

I think that it’s so wonderful that Spits are being built in any form. Who would have thought it 20 years ago. This gives me goosebumps big time.

3 Likes

Oh my. Goosebumps indeed!

1 Like

I was there!! I witnessed that majestic beauty

1 Like

I was actually doing there a big part of my training in 2013 (flying out of Turweston).

And I visited the hangar with one of the first builds underway. It is good to hear they press on!

2 Likes

The sim at Enstone was originally using P3D. They however changed to DCS but the commercial license was cost prohibitive as @Scoop mentioned.

They are currently using XP11 and have had much more success and are happily editing files and parameters to give a realistic dogfight experience. However one problem with the set up is the they chose a flat projection rather than the full dome so when the enemy (or friendlies) go above the player they immediately lose sight and situational awareness. For more experienced guys this can be mitigated but for new players and people unfamiliar with flight in general it can be very disorientating and game breaking.
They are trying to minimise this with attacks on straight and level flying bombers at the moment but will improve the hardware I assume in time.
Its a very cool set up either way.

2 Likes

Victork2 and I can often be found at Sandhill Farm if you wish to visit or fly in to see us. Mostly using motorgliders. I often fly Long Eze out of RAF Cranwell and Tatenhill

1 Like

In the interest of accuracy @Scoop can be found flying and I tend to be wobbling around trying not to breach airspace or fly into cloud :rofl:

1 Like

The Balbo at Duxford is an awesome experience. 32 WW2 fighters is the best I have seen yet

1 Like

You stopped wobbling a while back. Victork2 being congratulated by self after his solo qualifying cross country.

10 Likes

Wow! I forgot about that picture!

Had a bloody good teacher to be fair :wink:

2 Likes

Living the dream!

2 Likes